Home

Feta Cheese Help
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 6:54 pm
Whenever I go to a dairy restaurant I always order a salad with feta. I've tried many times to replicate these salads on my own but the only feta I can find in my local groceries (NY) is very different in both taste and texture than the restaurants. The restaurants are like drier and shredded, the supermarkets just have this type in brine that is like wet and mushy. Any ideas where in Brooklyn I can buy the restaurant quality feta?

Thanks!
Back to top

nicole81




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:17 pm
Tnuva makes one that's vacuum sealed (no brine) as do some high end brands. Check pomegranate and breadberry.
Back to top

theoretical62




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:21 pm
Maybe someone else will chime in to help but I think I do have an answer. My mother in law buys tnuva feta cheese, not the type in the blue box, type that comes in clear plastic package. Then she grates it herself. Im pretty sure this is what you're looking for. Let me know if you have more questions...

see someone else posted the same just now
Back to top

challahchallah




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:31 pm
The kind in brine needs to have the liquid pressed out first for that texture. Wrap in towels or paper towels then add some weight to let the water come out.
Back to top

newmom1987




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:34 pm
Tnuva makes one of cows milk and one of sheep’s milk. The sheep’s milk one is so so good.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:39 pm
Tnuva sheep's feta cheese in the vacuumed packed version is the best. You can grate it do get that consistency.

Sadly it hasn't been available the last few months.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:40 pm
Thanks so much! By sheep's milk do you mean, goat's milk? My grocery has one in brine that says it's from goat's milk.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much! By sheep's milk do you mean, goat's milk? My grocery has one in brine that says it's from goat's milk.

The Tnuva brand specifically. In the vacuum package only, not the blue container that says lite. And it can't say cow's 'feta cheese (they have another version).
Back to top

egam




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much! By sheep's milk do you mean, goat's milk? My grocery has one in brine that says it's from goat's milk.


No. There’s goat milk, cow milk feta and sheep milk feta. You are looking for sheep milk. The best is Pastures of Eden, but it’s very hard to find. Tnuva in the vacuum pack is the second best and more available. I usually get it from Costco, but most kosher stores have it.
Back to top

amother




Firebrick
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:17 pm
Pasture of Eden can be found at Wegmann’s and Tnuva at Costco.
But I don’t live in Brooklyn (or Lakewood or Monsey)
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:31 pm
Thanks so much all. I'm gonna search all the Brooklyn supermarkets. If it is vacuum packed can I assume it lasts a while and I can stock up?
Back to top

egam




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:32 pm
Duplicate post
Back to top

egam




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much all. I'm gonna search all the Brooklyn supermarkets. If it is vacuum packed can I assume it lasts a while and I can stock up?


Yes.
Back to top

newmom1987




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:15 pm
https://I.imgur.com/lpRmJ9i.jpg
Looks like this. Green package. It can be hard to find.
Back to top

amother




Oldlace
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Whenever I go to a dairy restaurant I always order a salad with feta. I've tried many times to replicate these salads on my own but the only feta I can find in my local groceries (NY) is very different in both taste and texture than the restaurants. The restaurants are like drier and shredded, the supermarkets just have this type in brine that is like wet and mushy. Any ideas where in Brooklyn I can buy the restaurant quality feta?

Thanks!


just curious. never tried feta.
are there any health benefits over other cheeses?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:49 pm
newmom1987 wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/lpRmJ9i.jpg
Looks like this. Green package. It can be hard to find.


Thanks that was super helpful.
Back to top

sweet




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:23 pm
This is the second best feta cheese.
The best one, I think is also from tnuva, it comes in a round container, already crumbled.
Since it comes from Isreal, it's not in stores now.
They get it in every few months.
Back to top

amother




DarkYellow
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:20 pm
sweet wrote:
This is the second best feta cheese.
The best one, I think is also from tnuva, it comes in a round container, already crumbled.
Since it comes from Isreal, it's not in stores now.
They get it in every few months.


Yes! Been waiting for that to come back. It’s been awhile.
Back to top

amother




Arcticblue
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:31 pm
Haolam makes a crumbled feta. They also have one in brine but I always buy just the crumbled and it’s great
Back to top

amother




Acacia
 

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:10 am
amother [ Oldlace ] wrote:
just curious. never tried feta.
are there any health benefits over other cheeses?

No. It's just brined and really salty. Some people like it crumbled and sprinkled over over salad.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Is cottage cheese healthy
by amother
11 Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:25 pm View last post
Feta cheese sub
by amother
7 Tue, Jan 18 2022, 12:26 pm View last post
Feta cheese
by amother
1 Tue, Jan 11 2022, 6:36 am View last post
Parve cheese 5 Fri, Dec 31 2021, 3:44 am View last post
Ricotta cheese vs farmers cheese
by amother
1 Sat, Dec 18 2021, 7:20 pm View last post
by zaq