Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How to help DS sick in his dirah
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:27 am
He is at the Mir, in a dirah that's a five to ten minute walk from yeshiva. He's usually at yeshiva almost all the time, and has pretty much no food in his dirah other than a little nosh that he's not up to eating now. None of the other guys who live there will be back until much later tonight. So apparently ds is there, not feeling up to doing anything, not eating anything at all with just water to drink that he's not drinking enough of. He's not going to the store and has nobody to go for him until tomorrow midday, at best (he has to be awake when they come in and go out to ask them.)

How can I help him from the US? We don't have anywhere he can stay. Is there any way to get him food/soup or something? Not from the dining hall, for now...

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:32 am
Is there any hanhala in the yeshiva you can speak to. Or maybe a store that delivers food.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:33 am
amother [ Chambray ] wrote:
Is there any hanhala in the yeshiva you can speak to. Or maybe a store that delivers food.

I don't know of anyone in the Mir to call. Or about a store that delivers- he doesn't know either. Does anyone here know?

dena613

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:35 am
Why does he have too wait until tomorrow to ask them?
He should post a detailed note on the door or their beds

dena613

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know of anyone in the Mir to call. Or about a store that delivers- he doesn't know either. Does anyone here know?

Maybe call the yeshiva office for starters (in yerushalayim) and ask them

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:45 am
This happened to my friends son. Worried mother that she is she also has a daughter in seminary and convinced her daughter to go buy him some soup, bananas, crackers and bread. I think he had a stomach bug. Not sure how the seminary sister was able to go into her brothers dirah but somehow she came through and got him the food. I’m sure one of the boys in his dirah will able to go buy him a few things during bein hasdarim. Op, you’re doing your job of being a worried mother. Now trust that he will be okay. Most people don’t have much appetite when they are sick so it’s not like he’s stuck there and wishing for food anyway. Maybe you can call another mother who has a son in the mir and give over the message that he could use a little food? Or if you know anyone in seminary maybe you can ask her to send food with a driver that you’ll pay for? May he feel all better tomorrow.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:47 am
dena613 wrote:
Why does he have too wait until tomorrow to ask them?
He should post a detailed note on the door or their beds

Maybe. They likely won't be back until after maariv and night seder. So it would be for tomorrow at lunch break. But it's better than nothing.

Was hoping someone knew of a store that delivers or a woman in the area that does and delivers food.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:57 am
Maybe order in some food from a resteraunt?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe. They likely won't be back until after maariv and night seder. So it would be for tomorrow at lunch break. But it's better than nothing.

They won't be back this afternoon to light the Chanukiah?

Success10

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:10 am
Does he really want anything, or are you just extra worried since you're so far away? Maybe he just wants to rest it off. He's a big boy, he can go and get some food if he's really hungry, even if not feeling well. I know you're nervous since you feel like you can't help him, but part of his experience in learning overseas is learning how to cope independently with situations like these.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:11 am
I'm not familiar with Jerusalem, but I am quite sure you can get food delivered there from most restaurants. Why doesn't he look online to see which restaurants are around?
Many people I know order through Walt. He can list his address and see which restaurants are available. The only issue is sifting through to see which kashrut (if any) these places have.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:33 am
I forgot about lighting. Yes, that will help. Thanks.

He has no internet- when he needs he goes to a place that is a walk.

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:40 am
Does your son know the boys in his dirah or was he randomly placed/joined? I cant imagine his friends would leave him with no food. They will prob bring back some food from the dining room for him.
If he is really so weak that he will be sleeping/napping when everyone else comes back he can leave a note that someone should buy hime crackers and bread.I'm sure they would have no problem.
Contrary to what is believed on this site yeshiva bochurim are kind and thoughtful.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I forgot about lighting. Yes, that will help. Thanks.

He has no internet- when he needs he goes to a place that is a walk.

Food orders can't be made with phone calls anymore?

Really the only thing that matters is staying hydrated. He needs to drink. If agreeable food doesn't arrive for a bit that's okay. If he's feeling lousy he won't miss it anyhow. Refuah sheleimah!

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:49 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
Food orders can't be made with phone calls anymore?

How would you get their phone number if you don't have internet? There are no phone books in Israel anymore. At least I haven't seen one in many years.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:53 am
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
How would you get their phone number if you don't have internet? There are no phone books in Israel anymore. At least I haven't seen one in many years.

Many years? When we lived there6 years ago there were yerushalayim phone books plus the newcomers guide.

amother
Bottlebrush

I don't understand, does he have a cell phone? Do the boys have cell phones? Does he have a chavrusah?
Why wait until they come home?
He should call someone up and tell them he's sick and can they please bring him something nourishing to eat.

Even if they are in the middle of learning, they can take a break to care for chavrusah/roommate.
Derech eretz kadma latorah

Refuah Sheleimah and Happy Chanuka!

dena613

Oh!!! Op, google newcomersguide israel and cal l one of the restaurants!

dena613

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:55 am
https://newcomersguide.co.il/directory-a/

Hatzlacha!!

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:55 am
Yes, all he really needs is water or maybe fruit juice, soup and crackers. He may not even have the appetite for that. Fluids are most important.

OP, can you give us a better idea what is wrong with him? The past couple of days in Yerushalayim have been hot and very dry. Is it possible that he is just dehydrated? Does it feel more like a virus? (Should he do a Corona test?) A stomach bug? Does he have a basic supply of painkillers, and is he using them?

As Success said, he's old enough to deal with these things by himself. The other boys will give him a hand. The weather is due to cool down tomorrow, which may help. If there is no improvement in a day or two he needs to go to his doctor. The boys in the Mir normally go to Dr Ben-Ari, who speaks english and has a clinic very close to the Mir.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions