Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Tiny Flames

kenz

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 1:22 pm
Does anyone have any insight as to why our wicks only produce tiny flames? The kids’ candle menorahs have much higher flames. Are we using the wrong size? They last a long time but are really tiny.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 1:24 pm
are you filling it up with enough oil?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 1:28 pm
What kind of wick are you using?

kenz

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 1:34 pm
I put in a bit of water on the bottom and then oil so it’s about 2/3 full, then the wick with the little round disc on the bottom. Do you think it’s the water? My husband is the one who always did that so the flames wouldn’t be on all night but I didn’t grow up doing that and now that I think of it we had better flames.

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 1:41 pm
kenz wrote:
I put in a bit of water on the bottom and then oil so it’s about 2/3 full, then the wick with the little round disc on the bottom. Do you think it’s the water? My husband is the one who always did that so the flames wouldn’t be on all night but I didn’t grow up doing that and now that I think of it we had better flames.

I think it might be the water, probably reduces the amount of oil that the wick can draw up.
If you don't want them to burn all night, why not put less oil in to begin with? They don't have to be full to the top.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 1:42 pm
The length of the exposed wick is also a factor

kenz

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 1:56 pm
Ok, thanks ladies. I’m going to play around with it a bit.

momof2+?

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 2:06 pm
Is your wick a floating wick? Or the kind that sucks up the oil from the bottom of the glass? I also find (like a previous poster said) that making the wick stick out (on top) a little more produces a larger flame. My husband also saturates his wicks in oil before lighting.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 2:09 pm
Definitely leave out the water. Cotton wicks but the best but they are hardest to use.

kenz

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 2:19 pm
momof2+? wrote:
Is your wick a floating wick? Or the kind that sucks up the oil from the bottom of the glass? I also find (like a previous poster said) that making the wick stick out (on top) a little more produces a larger flame. My husband also saturates his wicks in oil before lighting.

The floating kind. I’ll try that, thanks.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 2:19 pm
If you are using the wickes I think, the have a disk at the base, with a wick coated in wax coming up from it. The problem is that the wax prevents the wick from absorbing the oil. The flame melts the wax, but the only part of the wick which can absorb the oil is right at the top. That is a very small area, so only has enough fuel to produce a very small flame. The water is irrelevant, since the wax coating prevents the wick coming into contact with the water.

If you scrape away the wax from one side of the wick you may get a better flame.

I do best with the red ones that stand in a little tube. They seem a lot better at absorbing the oil, and when the wind allows, produce a really nice flame.

kenz

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 3:32 pm
Elfrida wrote:
If you are using the wickes I think, the have a disk at the base, with a wick coated in wax coming up from it. The problem is that the wax prevents the wick from absorbing the oil. The flame melts the wax, but the only part of the wick which can absorb the oil is right at the top. That is a very small area, so only has enough fuel to produce a very small flame. The water is irrelevant, since the wax coating prevents the wick coming into contact with the water.

If you scrape away the wax from one side of the wick you may get a better flame.

I do best with the red ones that stand in a little tube. They seem a lot better at absorbing the oil, and when the wind allows, produce a really nice flame.

Yes, that’s what I’m using. I’ll try without the water tonight and if that doesn’t help maybe I’ll switch wicks. These are just super easy…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics