Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Which CD's and software did you use/download pre internet?

Growing

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 2:42 pm
PrintShop
Corel
Mavis Beacon teaches Typing
Microsoft Word
MyMailList

there were others too - cant recall

also, does anyone know of a good searchable quotation CD?

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 2:50 pm
Games:
- Logical Journey of the Zoombinis (little blue guys!)
- JumpStart ___th Grade (Botley for third grade and Jo Hammet with the octopus-headed mad scientist villain for fifth!)
- ClueFinders ___th Grade (4th grade was jungle-themed?)
- American Girls Premiere (a game where you could write your own “plays” starring the characters from the American Girl doll/book series, they had live actors doing gestures that you could string into scenes and place in front of various sceneries then record your own dialog for if you had a microphone)
- Barbie Mysteries! (We had one that took place at a seaside inn that had a dune buggy racing section? The villain could change from one play through to the next so it didn’t get predictable)
- Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo
- Freddie Fish
- Pajama Sam

I wish they still had self-contained games like this for kids. I hate how everything now has to be connected to the internet and often is “free” but with so many micro transactions to buy upgrades or access to new locations that kids will never be satisfied…

Last edited by bigsis144 on Tue, Nov 30 2021, 3:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

simcha2

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 2:51 pm
Encarta

Growing

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 2:58 pm
totally get you bigis144

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 2:59 pm
I haven't thought about the Zoombinis for years.

I gave it to my nieces who were in love with it. They had no idea that it was teaching them important math and logical skills.

Of course that is the whole point of the best educational software - or really the best teaching of any kind. It taps into a child's inherent curiosity and desire to learn about the world.

Obviously it is easier to make it fun with software. Even the non-game oriented educational software makes it easier for some children to learn certain stuff.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 4:46 pm
Printmaster gold
Age of empires
Mavis beacon
There was this math game where you solved puzzles to defeat the bad guys but I forgot what it's called. I remember the song though "do you believe in monsters, flying across the skyyyyy, do you believe that you'll catch that puma addict with a little mathematics if you tryyyyy"
MS word with the little paperclip helper
MS paint

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 4:46 pm
Where in the world is Carmen San Diego

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 4:49 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
Where in the world is Carmen San Diego

Yes!! We had multiple versions of it, as graphics got better over the the years.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 4:54 pm
Oregon Trail & Amazon Trail
Math Workshop (with the bowling gorilla, polygon coloring, rocket launching…)
Math Blaster
Reader Rabbit
Various interactive books (We had Arthur’s Teacher Trouble, Ruff’s Bone, Just Grandma and Me… you could click things on each page to animate them, or just have the story read to you automatically)
The original SimCity
Rollercoaster Tycoon and other amusement park simulation games

I don’t remember the name of the game, but it was about classic literature, and it was framed as a game show where you tested your knowledge against aliens who claimed to have written the books! Sending the plagiarists home in disgrace and winning “Starbucks” was fun, and the concept was so random! (ETA: Reading Galaxy!!)

tigerwife

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 5:04 pm
Wow you guys are taking me down memory lane! We loved Putt Putt, Freddy Fish and Pajama Sam, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego… what was that math game with the short and fat little villain? Reader Rabbit, Sixth Grade adventures… I think we once got the game of Life in a cereal box (remember gifts in cereal boxes??). The Sims, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Mall Tycoon, later there were some good games by LEGO (Pepper Roni) and Harry Potter. Storymaker, Dollmaker… good stuff!

Pandabeer

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 6:49 pm
Corel draw
Microsoft Office
Dagesh
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics