Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Question re cabinets for kitchen reno

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 5:08 pm
I'm extending my kitchen and redoing it. The kitchen place says it takes 8-10 weeks to get the cabinets once they are ordered BUT they don't want to order them until the extension is done and they can personally take the measurements. That means I have a minimum of 10 weeks with no kitchen-an empty space waiting for everything to come, is that really what everyone does? He says that if I choose to order now (basing it on the architect's plans and not his personal measurements) there may be mistakes. I'm really nervous about not having a kitchen for so long (we will be staying in the house during the renovation and I had anticipated a few weeks, not a few months with no working kitchen). Has anyone had experience with this? Any suggestions?

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 5:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm extending my kitchen and redoing it. The kitchen place says it takes 8-10 weeks to get the cabinets once they are ordered BUT they don't want to order them until the extension is done and they can personally take the measurements. That means I have a minimum of 10 weeks with no kitchen-an empty space waiting for everything to come, is that really what everyone does? He says that if I choose to order now (basing it on the architect's plans and not his personal measurements) there may be mistakes. I'm really nervous about not having a kitchen for so long (we will be staying in the house during the renovation and I had anticipated a few weeks, not a few months with no working kitchen). Has anyone had experience with this? Any suggestions?

Yes this makes sense and I had no kitchen for 6 months. We survived but it was quite an experience.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 5:32 pm
Yes of course it makes sense because when something is built the measurements are not going to be precise because there are always going to be modifications that arise during construction. Cabinets particularly are intended to fit within precise measurements because they aren't free standing pieces of furniture. Unless the measurements are correct, all kinds of problems can happen.

And not to be the voice of doom but don't count on your cabinets coming in ten weeks because there is an enormous supply chain breakdown.

In terms of a kitchen there are ways to make it easier to get through. With any luck it will be spring and summer so you can grill outside.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 5:36 pm
I'm a kitchen and residential designer. Yes, I wait until framing is done to do final measuring for cabinets. A wall built 2" short may mean the cabinets don't fit or the sink is no longer centered on a window.

Last week I went to a house to do final measuring for cabinets only to discover that the engineer who did the permit drawings never updated the plans to my specs. One wall was a foot off. Windows were in the wrong places. I had to redesign the kitchen and make modifications to the bedroom because the problems would have been too expensive to fix.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 5:42 pm
You can ask your contractor if he can re-connect an oven and leave a fridge plugged in and use some folding tables while you’re in the in between stage. Not the most functional but better than nothing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen