Home

How to make meatballs softer?
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


RW




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:43 am
The last time I made meatballs they came out a little tough and rubbery. I read somewhere that if you add a little bit of baking soda to the meat, they'll come out softer and fluffier. I've also read that adding water to the mixture will also help. Has anyone tried adding either one to their meatballs? Any other suggestions on how to make meatballs softer and fluffier are greatly appreciated.
Back to top

NotInNJMommy




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:50 am
Do you already put eggs and bread/breadcrumbs in your recipe? Also, consider making the meatballs when the meat is still partially frozen, and just defrosted enough to be soft enough to mash up, etc.

I have an Italian coworker who always made his Italian grandmother's meatballs with her as a kid.

Years after she passed, his brothers, etc. would be like "why can't we make grandma's meatballs quite like hers? We use her recipe" They all got to talking, my friend, the baby in his family,, was the one who actually did it with her and the difference was the meat was still partially frozen.


Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

mom!




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:50 am
I add two splashes of seltzer to the mixture.
Also, when I make a lot at once, I add in an extra egg.
Back to top

corolla




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:55 am
RW wrote:
The last time I made meatballs they came out a little tough and rubbery. I read somewhere that if you add a little bit of baking soda to the meat, they'll come out softer and fluffier. I've also read that adding water to the mixture will also help. Has anyone tried adding either one to their meatballs? Any other suggestions on how to make meatballs softer and fluffier are greatly appreciated.

I've also found that adding something like grated onion or zucchini makes them softer too, without changing the taste. Great way to get some veggies in!
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:04 pm
Add 1 egg plus 1 egg white, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, and about 1/3 of a cup water to a 1.5 lb mixture (you can add a drop more water if the meat feels like it needs it). Drop into bubbling sauce and simmer gently to keep the meatballs tender.
Back to top

oneofakind




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:06 pm
Add oatmeal instead of matzo meal/ in addition to breadcrumbs. Don't over mix- it toughens the meat. Add a drop of water.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:08 pm
I learned two ways to make them either with soaked bread or using liquid like water or non dairy milk in a recipe that calls for breadcrumbs.

I learned it from this recipe. https://smittenkitchen.com/201.....alls/ If you read the meatball part of the recipe. The pasta is yum too if you want to use non dairy products.

also this recipe gave me great tips. https://www.foodnetwork.com/re.....46027
Back to top

Iymnok




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:12 pm
I mix it with a potato masher. Using half ground chicken and half ground meat is very good.
Back to top

2cents




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:19 pm
Lots of good advice here! I do most of the same... breadcrumbs, grated onion, and water as needed to be able to mix well. (For certain sauces that are sweeter I might add an egg or a squeeze of ketchup instead/in addition to water.)

I also don't ever bake meatballs on a cookie sheet in the oven. I cook them either in a sauce on the stovetop or just in a pot on the stove over a low flame. The meatballs give off their own juices and they may loose their perfectly round shape (they still stay round) but they're soft this way.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:22 pm
My stepMom gave me a recipe for meatballs that are super-soft. I use 1/3 cup of oatbran in place of 1 cup of breadcrumbs in the recipe.
Back to top

Maryann




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:32 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Do you already put eggs and bread/breadcrumbs in your recipe? Also, consider making the meatballs when the meat is still partially frozen, and just defrosted enough to be soft enough to mash up, etc.

I have an Italian coworker who always made his Italian grandmother's meatballs with her as a kid.

Years after she passed, his brothers, etc. would be like "why can't we make grandma's meatballs quite like hers? We use her recipe" They all got to talking, my friend, the baby in his family,, was the one who actually did it with her and the difference was the meat was still partially frozen.

So do I defrost , mix in eggs breadcrumbs spices then refreeze?
Back to top

momofgirls2




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 5:22 pm
Anyone with a perfect recipe with instructions?
Like one for the dummy in the kitchen TMI
Back to top

Sb1234




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 5:26 pm
Don’t handle the ground beef mixture too much. Mixing it too much/hard will make result in tougher meat.
Back to top

NotInNJMommy




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:08 pm
Maryann wrote:
So do I defrost , mix in eggs breadcrumbs spices then refreeze?



No, what I think was meant was that the meat was frozen to begin with, and then partially defrosted just enough so that it wasn't a solid brick of ground meat, etc. and then mixed by hand with whatever ingredients, shaped, and then immediately cooked.

My friend was a child and said that his hands would get very cold while mixing it all up.
Back to top

987gold




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:08 pm
Surprised no one said use regular ground meat not lean. Add ketchup to meat onions or onion powder bread crumbs or cornflake crumbs, I have done oat bran, some spices. My sauce is tomato sauce ketchup water and brown sugar and cook 1.5 hours. If you are grossed by the fat, it isn't healthy, make in advance, refrigerate and skim fat into the garbage.
Back to top

naomi2




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:15 pm
It's the bread or crumbs or oats that soften it. Grated onion can also but I don't like that texture it gives
Back to top

imorethanamother




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:18 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
No, what I think was meant was that the meat was frozen to begin with, and then partially defrosted just enough so that it wasn't a solid brick of ground meat, etc. and then mixed by hand with whatever ingredients, shaped, and then immediately cooked.

My friend was a child and said that his hands would get very cold while mixing it all up.


I always forget to take out the meat in time from the freezer, so this always happens to me! I always thought this was a flaw, but now I see I was an Italian grandmother genius all along!
Back to top

lemondrop




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 10:09 pm
momofgirls2 wrote:
Anyone with a perfect recipe with instructions?
Like one for the dummy in the kitchen TMI


I make lebanese meatballs

sauce:
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can sour cherry or cranberry
salt
pepper
paprika
allspice/cinnamon

meatball-
mince meat
one big grated onion
salt
pepper
paprika
all spice

fry my meatballs add to sauce
15 mins before serving 1 can mushrooms
Back to top

WindowMagic




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 12:11 am
When rolling into balls do not over-roll them. Will be fluffier this way.
Back to top

rachelli66




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 12:56 am
I prepare meatballs with no bread crumbs or matzo meal. I add to the ground meat an onion, egg, spices, sometimes chopped parsley. I put in the fridge for about an hour. I prepare a sauce and goes into baking pans. Roll the meatballs and put in sauce. Bake for an hour.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat

Related Topics Replies Last Post
If have to renew license do they make you retake picture?
by amother
7 Fri, Jan 21 2022, 10:21 am View last post
Anyone make this? Crockpot Brisket
by amother
2 Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:48 am View last post
How to make pizza from whole wheat wraps
by amother
3 Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:00 pm View last post
What can I make using the cereal 'bran flakes'
by amother
11 Tue, Jan 18 2022, 12:22 pm View last post
Place to make shabbos SB tri-state area
by amother
2 Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:54 pm View last post