Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Making aliyah iyH - questions, please help!
Previous  1  2  3

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 2:26 pm
essie14 wrote:
No one in my neighborhood lets any children under 8 go anywhere alone. No way, no how.
That's not my experience AT ALL!!!!!
The kids play in the shared chanaya area and in the local parks.

Never saw a 5 year old on a bus alone.

What happens if you don't have a car and your first grader needs to get to a school by bus?

chanchy123

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 2:35 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
What happens if you don't have a car and your first grader needs to get to a school by bus?

Parents pay for school buses. I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, just that I don’t know anyone with this way of life - maybe in certain cities that’s the norm🤷‍♀️ but not in my actual real-life experience.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:46 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Either the child has a hasa'ah, a parent takes the child on the bus, or you pay an older kid to accompany the child on the bus.
90% of my neighborhood has a car and the ones who don't have 1 non working (or part time working) parent. That's just how it is here, so kids really don't take busses alone.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly....where do sukkahs and decorations, bikes, skates, scooters, and outdoor toys and equipment, etc go in apartments with no outdoor storage area?

A lot of apartments do have a built in storage room, sometimes they are communal in older apartments there is a storage area above the entrance or bathroom with a trap door called a boidem for longer term storage. As suggested above check out Keter plastic for practical storage solutions that Israelis use

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:34 am
I'm charadi and live in a city, (not Jerusalem.) Five year olds do not take buses alone. Maybe a six year old who needs a simple ride to school will be pared with an older kid to watch them. My kids are not on the street, they play at friends houses or in a park under supervision. There are more lax Israeli parents around. But, nowadays people are more aware of the dangers. From about eight I would let my kids walk a short distance to a friends home alone.
Storage needs really depends on how big your apartment is and how many kids you have. Less space means you need to have less stuff. An organizer can help you maximize you space.

Teomima

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:47 am
The law is children are not allowed to cross the street unaccompanied before age 9. I have not seen children out and about (in any of the DL Jerusalem neighborhoods I have lived in) alone under that age. You do, however, see nine year olds accompanying their younger siblings to school/the park/on the bus/etc.

Last edited by Teomima on Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:50 am
Teomima wrote:
The law is children are not allowed to cross the street unaccompanied before age 9. I have not seen children out and about (in any of the DL neighborhoods I have lived in) alone under that age. You do, however, see nine year olds accompanying their younger siblings to school/the park/on the bus/etc.

In DL yishuvim absolutely younger kids do go out alone. I don’t think it’s common in cities at all, you also can’t compare going to a neighbor on the same block and crossing streets.

Teomima

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:56 am
chanchy123 wrote:
In DL yishuvim absolutely younger kids do go out alone. I don’t think it’s common in cities at all, you also can’t compare going to a neighbor on the same block and crossing streets.

Yes you're probably right. I meant in this city. I accidently left out "Jerusalem" from my post. Fixed that.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 2:50 am
essie14 wrote:
Either the child has a hasa'ah, a parent takes the child on the bus, or you pay an older kid to accompany the child on the bus.
90% of my neighborhood has a car and the ones who don't have 1 non working (or part time working) parent. That's just how it is here, so kids really don't take busses alone.

Most school in my neighborhood don't have an hasa'ah, and both parents work.
So the Americans I know would find someone nearby going to the same school to bus with them - but not all Israelis do that.

Or if there's only 3-4 stops many people will send someone to accompany the child for the first few times and then the child will go alone.

We don't have a car and many others I know don't. Also traffic is insane so just taking one kid to school a few blocks away could be a 20 minute trip.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 3:06 am
I live in a relatively small community outside Jerusalem. All the gan kids are accompanied to gan. First graders walk. Those from the other end of the neighborhood may take the bus, but there can be 20 BY girls on that bus. We live right next to the schools. I let my nearly 8yo go to the makolet himself. Someone helps him cross.
We built a bike rack in our parking lot. It keeps the building clutter down.

essie14

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 3:21 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Most school in my neighborhood don't have an hasa'ah, and both parents work.
So the Americans I know would find someone nearby going to the same school to bus with them - but not all Israelis do that.

Or if there's only 3-4 stops many people will send someone to accompany the child for the first few times and then the child will go alone.

We don't have a car and many others I know don't. Also traffic is insane so just taking one kid to school a few blocks away could be a 20 minute trip.

Every city is different. A lot of these things are location dependent.

Roots

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 4:20 am
hey! so exciting!!

1. machsan is fine. id put clothing in vaccuum bags and then its even safer.

2. YES! mine does too. sewing machines are ridiculuosly expensive here, asare overlocks (sergers) I got mine on amaon for $2-300 while here it can easily cost you like $4-500
I bought my transformater for like 150 shekel and it works BH great with no complaints
and if your an experienced seamstress- its a job that can bring in good income - al for word of mouth- just sayin..

3. basically our dryer is on topof our laundry- front loaders-both- saves space and veroe hangs in the miprpeset no worres- if its sunny day it dries really fast- and most days here are sunny

4-5. around the house like previous ppl replied

6. whoever bought a big aptmtnt- its all his. there are parks- playgrounds everywhere all over- thats where the kids play. lots of kids play outside afternnons- youll get the hang of it pretty fast dont worry
7. we got things from a gmach and basically made do with nothing- but we were a young couple lol- I saw the air bnb idea- if its within your budget- its a really good idea

hatzalcha rabba!!! so excited for you

you can pm me with any questions btw
also just so you know you can buy almost ANYTHING here in israel- ppl are so into american things- but the truth is-- nothings missing here- remember that.. and also amazon does shipping to israel so dont fill your container with things than you can buy here as well..
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions