Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Preparing the Horseradish

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 1:15 pm
Okay, we usually use Romaine lettuce and only romaine lettuce for maror... My dh has never wanted to use horseradish. So I've never prepared it before. How much in advance of Pesach can I grate the horseradish? Can I do it tonight?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 1:50 pm
it's better fresh. what about using endives?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 1:56 pm
When grating the horseradish, try to do it outside if there are pple around even if you're doing it in a mixer. If not, you won't have to worry about putting salt in your water, just bring out the buckets. Very Happy
I've never actually done it, but my brothers do it and they always get kicked out of the house Mad .

GAMZu

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 3:03 pm
Do it right before eating. We grate for each seder separately.

Squash

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 3:05 pm
I grate it on erev yom tov and put it in a tightly sealed mason jar. works for ur.

Pizza

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 3:12 pm
this year you will have to do it erev shabbos
do it outside, (it helps to wear goggles) and put it directly into a sealed container, to preserve the 'charif'

GAMZu

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 3:55 pm
No matter what we do, it's not as strong the next day. We will do it motzei shabbos, no big deal. Smile

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 4:50 pm
Gamzu, I didn't think one was allowed to grate on yomtov...

Anyway, so I called a friend, asked them if they knew the rules. The man I was talking to laughed and said "If you'll give me a horseradish we have a processor and can do it for you!" (He obviously would have done it for me anyway...) and that he had just been reading about the halachas of preparing, as they also had never done it before, that it had to be done on Friday.

So not only will my horseradish be fresher, but it will be easier on me! And I'll be able to get rid of the extra horseradish...I"ve two or three big ones! How much does one need after all.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 5:03 pm
hey I hand grate potatoes for kugel all the time on yom tov ... I like GAMZu's idea ... I always grate late erev yom tov with a food processor and double seal it - do NOT leave it open ... or divide for first and second days ... a good cry never hurt nobody ... cleanses the system ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics