Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
English name for...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:04 pm
I'm looking for legal (English) names that can work for the following Hebrew names.....
Menucha
Reena
Dina
Shulamis

If you have no suggestions for English names please do not say anything at all.
I do not want to hear opinions on whether or not to give English names for a baby.... I give English names and this new baby will have one as well I'm just stuck on what to do for the following names.... and none of these are names I would put directly on birth certificate so please do not suggest that either.

Thank you.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:07 pm
I've known non Jews with the name "Dina" tbh but if you specifically want an "English" name I'd go with Dinah. (Or Diane, if that's too Biblical.)

tryinghard

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:07 pm
Renee for Reena
Diane or Diana or Deanna for Dina - though FYI Deena is a totally mainstream name out there. But if you’re not comfortable I get it!
Shelly for Shulamis

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm looking for legal (English) names that can work for the following Hebrew names.....
Menucha
Reena
Dina
Shulamis

I do not want to hear opinions on whether or not to give English names for a baby.... I give English names and this new baby will have one as well I'm just stuck on what to do for the following names.... and none of these are names I would put directly on birth certificate so please do not suggest that either.

Thank you.

I like keeping names as close as possible. That's just me.
So I might stick with Renee and Diane/Diana. (Though Dina is a name I've heard very assimilate people use.) Sheila for Shulamis? That's a bit old. And Mona? Hm...If I had time I'd look through name lists.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:10 pm
Monica or Monique for Menucha.
Agree with Renee for Reena.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:10 pm
Why not just pick any english name that you like?

Why does it have to coincide with the jewish name?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:12 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Monica or Monique for Menucha.
Agree with Renee for Reena.

Monica is good.
And as for picking an English name you like, sure, why not? But I've seen that people who have secular names seem to have an easier time if the names are similar.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:15 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Why not just pick any english name that you like?

Why does it have to coincide with the jewish name?

Because ime experience it's a little weird and unsettling if in one aspect of your life you go by "Rivky" then in the other part of your life you go by "Lauren" or whatever. Just is more comfortable if you can go back and forth between Rivky/Rebecca. Speaking from personal experience as someone who uses her English name at work. I like that my English name is close to my Hebrew one. (And I'm glad I have an English name. Just makes it less complicated. BTW I have a very stereotypical Jewish last name think "Cohen" or "Goldberg" so I'm easily identifiable as Jewish, it's not about trying to pass or being embarrassed about being Jewish.)

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:17 pm
Serena for Menucha
Joy for Reena

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:21 pm
I was also thinking about Joy for Rena
& Dianna for Dinah.

You can also use Donna, Dawn, Dana, Daniella.

Last edited by dankbar on Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:21 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Because ime experience it's a little weird and unsettling if in one aspect of your life you go by "Rivky" then in the other part of your life you go by "Lauren" or whatever. Just is more comfortable if you can go back and forth between Rivky/Rebecca. Speaking from personal experience as someone who uses her English name at work. I like that my English name is close to my Hebrew one. (And I'm glad I have an English name. Just makes it less complicated. BTW I have a very stereotypical Jewish last name think "Cohen" or "Goldberg" so I'm easily identifiable as Jewish, it's not about trying to pass or being embarrassed about being Jewish.)

When you go to work or really anywhere, you can choose ANY name to be called if you feel the need, it does not HAVE to be your “legal” name.

Just as ppl with no legal english name do at work and other places if they feel necessary.

What if someone who is Rivky does have the english name Rebecca... and hates it? They can choose any English name to be called at work etc anyway.

So I still say: choose any English name you like and your child will do as she sees fit as an adult.

Bshaah tova!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 1:27 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
When you go to work or really anywhere, you can choose ANY name to be called if you feel the need, it does not HAVE to be your “legal” name.

Just as ppl with no legal english name do at work and other places if they feel necessary.

What if someone who is Rivky does have the english name Rebecca... and hates it? They can choose any English name to be called at work etc anyway.

So I still say: choose any English name you like and your child will do as she sees fit as an adult.

Bshaah tova!

You are going to have a lot of problems on legal documents if you just make up a name for work. Between job contracts, tax forms, banking for direct deposit, they need to have your legal name. It would come across as so weird not to mention sketchy in a professional job if introduced yourself at the job interview as Camilla but then fill out all your HR paperwork as Chaya lol. Or get hired as Chaya but then tell your boss to call you Camilla.
I find that people who feel the same way as you, have mainly worked in Jewish workplaces, and usually with a frum employer.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 2:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Menucha
Reena
Dina
Shulamis

Thank you.

Menucha- Melinda or Mandy
Reena - I would leave. It's extremely easy to pronounce. Or else Renée
Dina - I would also leave as is. I know several secular Deena's and Deana's , pronounced same as Dina. Or else Diana

Shulamis - Sherry or Sharon

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 2:07 pm
Menucha - Not sure. Molly?
Reena - This is an English name, maybe Renee.
Dina - This is an English name
Shulamis - Susan, Sheryl

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 2:33 pm
My sister Dayna is a Dina

Tof Umachol

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 2:35 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]
Menucha - Maura, Mara, Mindy
(in fact, if I had a daughter named Menucha, I might just call her Mindy on a daily basis)

Reena - Renee

Dina - Dana, Diane, Diana

Shulamis - Sharon, Shelley

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 2:38 pm
My mother is Shulamis in Hebrew and Susan in English, but that might be a little old fashioned now. Her sister is Rena/Renee, I also think of Renee as old fashioned but I've heard it's making a comeback. My good friend's mother is Menucha/Marlene.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 2:39 pm
Shelley for Shulamis

CatLady

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 3:29 pm
Rina could be Rena or Renee. Dina is a English name, but could be adapted to Diana. Monica is quite similar to Menucha in sound, but not a popular name, unless Friends is your absolute favorite show. Maybe Madison or Madeleine? (I love the name Maddie as you can tell) Shulamis could be Scarlett or Samantha.

B'shaa tova!

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 6:38 pm
I know a Reena whos English name is Sabrina

Dina > Diana, Daisy
Menucha > Mandy, Millie
Shulamis > Suzanne, Sophia
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names