Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Name to go with Zalman
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 7:15 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Of course. It would probably just be Yekusiel itself (said at the bris, written on the kesuba) with Zalmen as the nickname. Or you could do Yekusiel Zalmen but I would discuss it with a rav as it would not be the typical.

Ok! That makes a lot of sense.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 7:19 pm
Would also suggest Isser Zalman.
I’m in the litvish world and never heard of anyone named Yekusiel Yehuda ? Not sure if I got that right. Almost of the zalmans I know are Shlomo Zalman or Isser Zalman besides one little boy I know who is just Zalman

boysrus

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 8:05 pm
Efraim Zalman is a name that I have heard a few times

gr82no

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 9:09 pm
The klausenberger rebbe was yekusiel Yehuda but known as Zalman leib I’m pretty sure. So anyone named after him is yekusiel Yehuda but usually called Zalmy.
The bal hatanya was shneur Zalman. I learned that the Zalman comes from Solomon

salt

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 10:33 pm
Could someone explain how on earth Yekutiel is connected to Zalman.

Tof Umachol

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 10:40 pm
Shmuel Zalman

Baruch Zalman

Yosef Zalman

I think all the above sound good.
Maybe see if there is something in the Parsha/Haftora that you like and decide if to your ears it sounds good with Zalman.

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:45 pm
salt wrote:

Wondering too.
Zalman is literally Salomon, pronounced a German way. And Salomon is Shlomo.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:54 pm
Shlomo Zalman
Zalman Nechemia

Can't believe no one has suggested those yet. Smile

Oh I never thought of Zalman as Salman. Huh.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:59 pm
I have heard of a Zalman Mordechai

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:03 am
amother [ Yarrow ] wrote:
Shlomo Zalman
Zalman Nechemia

Google it.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:18 am
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
Google it.

I don't need to. It makes 100% sense. I just never thought of it that way. Zalman = Salman = Solomon = Shlomo - DUH. LOL.

salt

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:22 am
amother [ Yarrow ] wrote:
Shlomo Zalman
Zalman Nechemia

Well OP said in her first post:
Hi! We are looking for a name to go with Zalman (either as a first or second name) that's not Shlomo or Shnuer.

So that's why no one suggested Shlomo Zalman.

But Zalaman Nechemia is a good one - after Rav Zalman Nechemia Goldberg z"l.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:27 am
salt wrote:
Well OP said in her first post:
Hi! We are looking for a name to go with Zalman (either as a first or second name) that's not Shlomo or Shnuer.

So that's why no one suggested Shlomo Zalman.

But Zalaman Nechemia is a good one - after Rav Zalman Nechemia Goldberg z"l.

I missed that, thanks.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 1:40 am
salt wrote:

I was also wondering...

The meanings aren't even remotely similar. Nor is the pronunciation.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 1:48 am
salt wrote:

Zalman is associated with a few names not just one. There are a few other names like this such as Zelig that is often with Asher and also Yitzchok (as opposed to Hersh which is only with Tzvi). I don't think that Zalman by itself is used as a name so randomly adding different combinations to the name may not make sense, so that's why OP should discuss it with a Rav since he can look it up (usually these things are in hilchos gitten) and give her all the names it is associated with like Yekusiel, or where it is a double name like Shneur Zalman. Where I am it is safe to assume 99% of Zalman would be called just Yekusiel by the Torah but maybe in OPs community another name with Zalman is more common.

imaima

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 1:54 am
Zalman is associated with a few names not just one. There are a few other names like this such as Zelig that is often with Asher and also Yitzchok (as opposed to Hersh which is only with Tzvi). I don't think that Zalman by itself is used as a name so randomly adding different combinations to the name may not make sense, so that's why OP should discuss it with a Rav since he can look it up (usually these things are in hilchos gitten) and give her all the names it is associated with like Yekusiel, or where it is a double name like Shneur Zalman. Where I am it is safe to assume 99% of Zalman would be called just Yekusiel by the Torah but maybe in OPs community another name with Zalman is more common.

I think you are describing naming traditions that apply in a specific community only.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 1:56 am
https://he.m.wikisource.org/wi.....D7%9D

So OP should discuss it with a rav but from this it appears Zalman can be a nickname for the following:

זלמן כינוי לאלעזר לאפרים ליקותיאל למשלם לשלמה לאליקום לשמרי' לשניאור

So Op, it seems according to this sefer that the names it goes with are Elazar, Efraim, Yekusiel, Meshulem, Shlomo, Elyakim, Shmarya/hu, and Shneur, but like I said, discuss with a Rav. Ones who handle gitten are the most familiar with names.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 1:58 am
imaima wrote:
I think you are describing naming traditions that apply in a specific community only.

No I just posted from the בית שמואל על אבן העזר/שמות אנשים. It's true a satmar community will have many Zalman Leibs because Yekusiel Yehuda was the name of the Yetev Lev but all names, especially boys names can be sourced in the gemara and other seforim in regard to gitten.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 2:12 am
How can a Yiddish name be sourced in the gemara?

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 5:14 am

also never heard of Zelig with Yitzchok. Are you sure these aren’t just common combinations in your circle? Asher and Zelig have basically the same meaning. As do Tzvi and Hersh. Aryeh and Leib. Dov and Berrel. But Zelig and Yitzchok? Zalman and Yekusiel ? I don’t get it.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names