Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Name to go with Zalman
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 12:09 am
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
My son is Zalman (no other names added). We are not chasidish. He's the 1st grandson named after my husband's grandfather. I didn't love the name, but also makpid to not add names when naming after someone. So we came to the agreement that we'd call him by a nickname. He's in his late teens and still goes by the nickname Zollie. Other than a select few relatives and a few rabbaim in school, nobody calls him Zalman.

That's a cute spelling! Most boys with that nickname I know spell it Zali.

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 12:19 am
My son is Mordechai Zalmen. His official name is Mordcha Yekusiel. We were told to give it this way because zalmen is a yiddish name. And we name boys with names from the torah. He's half named for my great grandfather shloma zalmen. We couldn't give shloma.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 12:25 am
I heard that yekusiel was another name of Shlomo Hamelech's.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 12:34 am
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
I heard that yekusiel was another name of Shlomo Hamelech's.

So I just found this article talking about the seven names of Shlomo Hamelech. https://ohr.edu/8266
None of them are Yekusiel. But one is Yakeh and another Itiel. I can see how that can become Yekusiel/Yekutiel.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 12:39 am
Yekutiel was one of Moshe Rabbeinu's names.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 12:47 am
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
My son is Mordechai Zalmen. His official name is Mordcha Yekusiel. We were told to give it this way because zalmen is a yiddish name. And we name boys with names from the torah. He's half named for my great grandfather shloma zalmen. We couldn't give shloma.

Is this only with boys’ names? What about girls named Feige or Shprintze?

Tof Umachol

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:03 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Naftuli is usually with Hertzke.

You are confirming what I said. Hertzke or Hertz or Hirsch or Hersch are all European versions/nicknames for the name Tzvi. And the name Tzvi (or any of its translations or diminutives) goes with Naftali because of Yaakov's bracha in VaYechi.
נפתלי אילה שלוחה

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:46 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Is this only with boys’ names? What about girls named Feige or Shprintze?

Not that poster, but I am chassidish and mosts in my family and extended family are called yiddish names and I have been taught that there no a mesorah of giving boys yiddish names officially by themselves and it usually done because people did not properly research their grandparents name or ask a rav.

There are certain names like Zalman and Zelig that are added to specific names and there are nicknames like Berish that go with names like Dov or Hersh for Tzvi. There are some Aramaic names like Shraga that can be given and there is also a concept of giving the name Alexander or Kloinimas. There are probably other exceptions I am leaving out. I am not an expert who does gitten of course. So basically if a boys name is not lashon hakodesh it needs to have a specific mesorah of being given by the Torah and why.

So Menachem was given by the Torah, child was called Mendel. Or Menachem Mendel was given. But not Mendel itself. Another example, the famous Reb Zusha was not named Zusha but Meshulem Zusel. Zusha is a name not given alone but added to other names like Alexander, Eliezer, and some others and also can be a nickname for Zusel or Zusia.

Someone on this site recently said they wanted to name their child after a rav called Laib and I was able to show them the matzeiva that showed the person was named Yehuda (it may have been Yehuda Laib, not sure). But that's because he was a rav, if he would have been a regular person his matzeva would probably not be available online.

In the sefer I linked earlier, you will notice that this is the case for mens names but NOT for womens names. With all this in mind, a parent can name their child whatever they want it just would not be standard in all communities to do so, but that doesn't mean it's not allowed. We are just makpid to name after grandparents and although many were only called Yiddish names, their official names were either just Lashon Hakodesh or mixed as a double name with Lashon Hakodesh and a matching Yiddish name.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:49 am
Tof Umachol wrote:
You are confirming what I said. Hertzke or Hertz or Hirsch or Hersch are all European versions/nicknames for the name Tzvi. And the name Tzvi (or any of its translations or diminutives) goes with Naftali because of Yaakov's bracha in VaYechi.
נפתלי אילה שלוחה

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just for knowledge sake I pointed out Tzvi is called Hersh and Natfuli usually with Hertzke. Interestingly, Tzvi Hersh is not common as an official double name and it's usually just Tzvi with a nickname Hersh but Naftuli Hertzke is commonly an official double name. I wonder what the explanation is, although it is probably just random.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 5:36 pm
The maalos wrote about Zalman together with Yekusiel. It is just a small few sentences but figured I would share. It was suggested the sound "siel" from yekisiel sounds like zal when said fast and was placed together with man the way we add 'le or y to nicknames (and man has been added to names like zussman, zeligman, etc).
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names