Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O eliyah basil’s gofundme page

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:53 am
Don’t want to derail that thread, but someone wrote something interesting there. Someone wrote that according to halacha you are not allowed to donate to a non Jew unless it will cause a chilul HaShem? I’ve never heard this before, can someone please post where it says this? Is this a commonly held halacha?

May

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:00 am
Yes! There is such a halacha and for whatever reason it is not widely known. We are not allowed to compliment, gift, donate to, etc. non Jews. Except under certain circumstances (like if it would help you find favor in their eyes - e.g. giving your cleaning lady a gift, or you need to in your line of work e.g. complimenting non Jewish students, or not to cause a chilul Hashem, etc.) Ask your LOR. I think it falls under the issur of lo sichaneim or something like that. My Rav is very vocal about it but its overall not well known. Like my LOR says to throw giveaways in the garbage rather than donating to goodwill or salvation army type places, if you don't have a jewish organization that wants it. If I'm correct, it might actually be an issur dioraysa, as it's a straight directive in the Torah.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:08 am
It is in the shulchan orech

There are leniencies

Kiddush Hashem
Bringing piece
Gaining personally

I learned it could be enough that if you are visibly Jewish and give something then it’s ok bec they will see Jews are generous and it’s a kiddush Hashem. Like if my dh is wearing a hat he will remove it so they can see his yarmulkes.

But to anonymously or in a way that it is unknown I was told is not okay.

keym

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 11:10 am
Also giving that in anyway can benefit you is allowed.
Bus driver, cleaning lady is obvious.
But our Rav says to donate to the Firemen and Police Societies, political donations. Donating toys, food, coats to the local charities benefits us because society functions better and there's less crime motivation when people are fed and warm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics