Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Am I normal?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:42 pm
I find myself singing along with the x-mas songs in the stores.
they are so loud and the tunes are so old that I know them from when I'm little. lol

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:44 pm
I avoid malls at all costs this time of year - for the exact same reason. embarrassed

B'H for online shopping!

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:48 pm
When I was in England during December I was shocked at the noise while walking in to the Tesco we don’t even have that in the Netherlands bh

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:49 pm
They play them in the supermarkets as well....
also, don't you live in Israel?
they play x-mas songs there too? wow!

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:51 pm
Oh my gosh yes! Can't Believe It

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:00 pm
Lol so do I 🤷🏼‍♀️

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:03 pm
Don’t throw tomatoes at me, I love it! Lol nowadays I’m a busy mom don’t often get to the mall, but whenever I was in the mall this time of the year I enjoy the music and hum along!!

geemum

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:04 pm
Yup I sing along too, without realising.....sometimes still humming at home and kids ask me "what song is that?" !!!🥴

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:05 pm
lol.
same

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:07 pm
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
Don’t throw tomatoes at me, I love it! Lol nowadays I’m a busy mom don’t often get to the mall, but whenever I was in the mall this time of the year I enjoy the music and hum along!!

Me too! Best tunes. I look forward to this time of year 🙈

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:07 pm
I play it on the radio in my car.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:09 pm
A few years ago I had to make a sudden trip to England in early December when my mother was very ill. It's not a time of year that I would normally choose to travel, but sometimes you can't wait. I literally booked the ticket mid afternoon and was in England that same evening, so no pre planning, and I didn't have time to even think about the time of year.

Somewhere between passport control and baggage reclaim there was a piano, with a CD player hidden inside, churning out carols and seasonal tunes.

(Cue - 'We're not in Jerusalem any more!')

I just stopped and stared at it, suddenly realizing what an alien culture I'd come back to. That followed me all the time, with the trees in the hospital, the atmosphere during the frantic shopping trip to get some winter clothes before beginning shnat aveilut, even the decorations the doctors clipped on to their stethoscopes.

It was a relief to be able to shut all of that out while we were sitting shiva.

A lot of them are nice tunes, and the more modern ones aren't even particularly religious. When I lived in England I often used to feel guilty for enjoying them. Since I made aliyah they stopped being part of my life, and became very symbolic of a foreign culture. They are around in Israel. Jews are not the only people here, and tourists coming to Beit Lechem at this time of year is a thing (corona allowing). But it's not so pervasive. We are surrounded by out own heritage.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They play them in the supermarkets as well....
also, don't you live in Israel?
they play x-mas songs there too? wow!

No they most definitely do not play those tunes here! Not in the groceries nor the mall. I remember being shocked at one store in the mall last year that had some green and red decorations. But that is literally all I've ever seen here.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:48 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
No they most definitely do not play those tunes here! Not in the groceries nor the mall. I remember being shocked at one store in the mall last year that had some green and red decorations. But that is literally all I've ever seen here.

Try driving down Derech Chevron towards the end of the month. Or hanging out by Sha'ar Yafo the day they distribute free trees. Or listen to Rigei Kesem on that date. And certain parts of the Old City are already decorated. It's not hard to avoid, but it is here.

4g01o

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:03 pm
Same here but aren't we allowed to enjoy them?!

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:35 pm
Of course normal. How do you think everyone in chutz la'aretz who's been attending Jewish schools since the age of 3 knows all those songs?

singleagain

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 7:07 pm
I love the music this time of year. Especially the country songs. What could be wrong with peace on Earth and goodwill to all men?

singleagain

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 7:09 pm
I love the music this time of year. Especially the country songs. What could be wrong with peace on Earth and goodwill to all men?

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:15 pm
I detest most secular Xmas music—it’s shrill and tinny and irritating and the fact that it plays over and over and over makes it that much more so. The melodies I like are unfortunately the religious songs, which are actually musical rather than jingly. I fight back by fitting the melodies to zemirot.

Maoz Tzur works with Deck the Halls. Dror Yikra works with almost everything else.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:20 pm
zaq wrote:
I detest most secular Xmas music—it’s shrill and tinny and irritating and the fact that it plays over and over and over makes it that much more so. The melodies I like are unfortunately the religious songs, which are actually musical rather than jingly. I fight back by fitting the melodies to zemirot.

Maoz Tzur works with Deck the Halls. Dror Yikra works with almost everything else.

Not seasonal, but Adon Olam to When the Saints Come Marching By was a classic in the shul where I grew up.

We sing Dror Yikra to Scotland the Brave.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics