Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Should I tell her that her son is being bullied?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:25 pm
My 10 yr old son told me there is a boy in his class who makes fun of an overweight boy. He calls him fat and whenever the topic of fat people come up, he says very loudly "we know someone like that ahem ahem". Should I tell this to the mom of the bullied boy (her son is the stoic type and it's very possible he doesn't say anything) or should I just stay out of it?

oneofakind

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:26 pm
I would say.

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:30 pm
Definitely say. And call the rebbe too. Let him hear it from another classmate not just the mom of the victim.
#helpstoptheabuse

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:31 pm
Definitely tell her.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:36 pm
Yes

shanie5

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:36 pm
Please tell her. Someone told me when my dd was being bullied and I was able to contact bullies mother. She really helped. my dd and her dd ended up as very good friends.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:37 pm
I would want to know if it would be my child

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:40 pm
Please do! It takes a village to stop abuse.

DVOM

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:53 pm
I have an overweight 10 year old son. If he was being teased, I would want to know. My son is a popular, funny guy, the type of kid to laugh it off and probably wouldn't tell me.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:57 pm
Please do!!! Might save his life there's long-term effects of bullying 😔

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:58 pm
Definitely.
I’d also call the school and say I don’t want my kid in such an environment

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:05 pm
Absolutely! you can save a life! I'm not exaggerating

shanarishona

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:07 pm
Yes!!!!!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 10 yr old son told me there is a boy in his class who makes fun of an overweight boy. He calls him fat and whenever the topic of fat people come up, he says very loudly "we know someone like that ahem ahem". Should I tell this to the mom of the bullied boy (her son is the stoic type and it's very possible he doesn't say anything) or should I just stay out of it?

I personally would like to praise your son for being honest and brave and telling your about what is going on in class.
He definitely deserves to know that he did the right thing telling you!
And you have a good reason to be a proud mother!
Flower

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:32 pm
I am so grateful to the mum that called me and told me what her son said was happening in school to my son. DS was the keep-it-in-til-I-explode type and we didn't know what was going on.

amother
Firethorn

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Please tell her.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:37 pm
I heard of a child that's being bullied in a different school then the one my kids go to. I called up the principal, he was very happy I called. Definitely do tell!

amother
Stone

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:43 pm
YES x10000000!! As a mother of an overweight boy, I would be so grateful to know so that I can deal with it. My son isn't very expressive

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:32 pm
Of course tell her.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:56 pm
Tell her the way you would call a teacher about something your child said. So, say, "My son came home and told me x. Obviously, this is his understanding of and report on the situation as a ten year old. I'm letting you know so you can look into what might actually be happening."

This gives mom a gentler introduction to something that may or may not be a surprise to her. It gives her the space for it not to be a criticism of her that she didn't know, and to do her own looking to get a clear picture and have some agency.

Signed, a mom who had my kid's classmate's mother do exactly this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children