Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Do you give gifts to friend's grandchildren?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 9:31 am
Do you give gifts to friend's grandchildren when they are born? Do you give for every child or the first child of each child? And what do you give? clothing, books, toy, or money ? and how much?

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 9:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you give gifts to friend's grandchildren when they are born? Do you give for every child or the first child of each child? And what do you give? clothing, books, toy, or money ? and how much?

Very rarely. Sometimes I'll send something for the shalom zachor.

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 9:34 am
A few friends of my parents who knew me since I was a baby sent me a small gift when my kids were born which was very nice of them and not expected.

When my oldest was born 11 years ago a couple of my grandmothers friends sent us a gift also people I knew my whole life.

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 9:49 am
2 of my moms friends gave me a baby gift (together) when my dc was born. They probably spent $20 each. I don't know if they have 'rules' about how many times they will give to each etc.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 10:17 am
My mother in law's good friends gave us gifts when my kids were born. I don't think they gave for every single kid, but most.
On the other hand, none of my parent's friends gave us.

I think it depends on the relationship and the personalities.

Alexandra1

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 2:39 am
Bump

essie14

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 3:08 am
We occasionally get invited to a brit mila of a grandchild of friends and then I will give a gift, but otherwise no. We did not receive any gifts for the birth of our child from any friends of our parents.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 4:01 am
To the closest friends, yes.

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 5:44 am
Would you consider a gift for the grandparent? Maybe a picture frame or a few toys or extra onesies for when grandbaby comes to visit? If it's a really good friend and you can afford to splurge something like a bassinets/cot or stroller so baby's parents don't have the schlep everything to grandfolks?

What I'm suggesting should in no way become the norm. Just if you feel that close relationship of wanting to give.

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 5:46 am
Another idea I just had... Practical gifts if you are closer with kids... Diapers, wipes.. the expensive disposables that comes with kids

Blessing1

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 5:47 am
I received some gifts from my parents/in laws close friends when I had my 1st baby.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 5:54 am
I think it depends on how close you are, some feel like family and are really happy for you love giving presents ... funny sometimes you get more gifts from your friends then extended family 👪

Totally just how close and if they're the presents giving type personality

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 6:00 am
I got gifts from my parents and in laws friends.
My First child and bris I got more gifts than my third child (girl).
Might depend on the circles your with my parents to are MO most families aren’t huge

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 6:04 am
A few of my moms and mother-in-law’s friends gave me for my first which was very nice.

For my second a few sent something for the Kiddush because it was by my mothers house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics