Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Old Jewish novels! Please join me...
  Previous  1  2  3 16  17  18  Next

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 2:19 pm
I skipped a few pages of this thread. Did anyone mention Sarah Schleimer's books? I love A Dozen Good Reasons.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 2:49 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I skipped a few pages of this thread. Did anyone mention Sarah Schleimer's books? I love A Dozen Good Reasons.

Very sweet for tweens. For the older middle school and older, Far From the Place We Call Home was fantastic.

sweetdimples

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 3:43 pm
lost children of tarshish
el al hold that flight by sara tyberg

sallysaucer

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 6:42 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
That’s the Rivkah Gross Academy books by Sukey Stavsky Gross. Passport to Russia, the Golden Gate, and a bunch of others. The Golden Gate had the hidden diamond and all the “orientals” which I guess was PC in those days for Asian-Americans.

I loved those! Totally forgot about them!

sallysaucer

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 6:44 pm
I'm surprised no one mentioned "the flight to seven swan Bay", and "the cheery bim band" unless I missed it.

SYA

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:06 pm
sallysaucer wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned "the flight to seven swan Bay", and "the cheery bim band" unless I missed it.

Read them as a kid.
During quarantine we “borrowed” the cheery bim band for my kids. At first they looked at the cover and said it’s for babies. But once they picked up the first they read them all.

SYA

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:07 pm
Wildflower is out of print. I spoke to the publisher and it’s not on the list to be reprinted at the moment. Was really hoping they had in stock even one last copy.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 8:17 pm
SYA wrote:
Wildflower is out of print. I spoke to the publisher and it’s not on the list to be reprinted at the moment. Was really hoping they had in stock even one last copy.

Pity. Especially since Rachel Pomerantz has a new book out.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 8:56 pm
SYA wrote:

This is an appropriate place to give a public thank you to Gneshe who offered me her copy of Wildflower, and it arrived today. Gneshe, I am beyond touched. You really made my day. This is one of my favorite books of all times and I am thrilled to be able to reread it and reread it again. I’m counting this as one of the best things that imamother has given me. Heart

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:10 pm
I remember reading a thin paperback book back in the 80s. I don't think it was published by one of the standard frum publishers, though it was clearly a frum book.

It took place around Sukkos, while the main character (a boy around 10, I think his name was Yosef) was off from school. The main problem was that there was a thief in his class who was stealing baseball cards. His older brother gave him the idea to sprinkle some cards with invisible fingerprint powder or such to nab the culprit. This was not one of the mystery books by Eli Gewirtz though it was a bit similar (without the humor, tho). I think the author's name was Ruth something. Does anyone have an idea of the title? Does it ring any bells?

SYA

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:59 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Pity. Especially since Rachel Pomerantz has a new book out.

If I understood correctly cactus blossoms is a sequel but was published I think by Feldheim.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:01 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Id love to read aleph shin and the ten lost but seems they are long out of print....is there anywhere to get them?

I actually dug mine up because of this thread and am ready to pass it on but it's falling apart. You'd have to be willing to put all the pages back in order and even then you might be missing some... PM me if you are still interested.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:36 am
Anyone know where I can get hold of "I can call you Ima"?
I loved loved loved that book and want my kids to read it but I can't find it anywhere

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 3:07 am
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
I remember reading a thin paperback book back in the 80s. I don't think it was published by one of the standard frum publishers, though it was clearly a frum book.

It took place around Sukkos, while the main character (a boy around 10, I think his name was Yosef) was off from school. The main problem was that there was a thief in his class who was stealing baseball cards. His older brother gave him the idea to sprinkle some cards with invisible fingerprint powder or such to nab the culprit. This was not one of the mystery books by Eli Gewirtz though it was a bit similar (without the humor, tho). I think the author's name was Ruth something. Does anyone have an idea of the title? Does it ring any bells?

Yes rings a bell..
My mother literally has every book in boxes on her basement.. Wish I could get to them..

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 3:32 pm

Ruth Zakutinksy, Case of the Missing Baseball Cards - is that it? I didn't read it but remember seeing it.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 3:33 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Ruth Zakutinksy, Case of the Missing Baseball Cards - is that it? I didn't read it but remember seeing it.

Yes, that's it! Thank you!! It's been at the back of my subconscious for a few months now even before this thread, and I kept hoping I'd come across the actual title/author somehow:)

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 5:06 pm
Yes, that's it! Thank you!! It's been at the back of my subconscious for a few months now even before this thread, and I kept hoping I'd come across the actual title/author somehow:)

Just found it in the back of my moms closet where she keeps the novels. I gave it to my kids and at first they looked at the cover and said it’s for babies. In the end most of them read it!

My mom found a number of books in her basement in boxes. She allows the grandkids to borrow a few at a time for up to a week. I’m enjoying reading/rereading some of the books posted on this thread.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 6:59 pm
Who remembers the Bina Gold Mysteries? She was like the frum Nancy Drew. One of the books was about a girl with amnesia….

SYA

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:27 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Who remembers the Bina Gold Mysteries? She was like the frum Nancy Drew. One of the books was about a girl with amnesia….

I have one. The others we had borrowed in the summer from the local Jewish library. My kids loved it.

DREAMING

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:39 pm
Devorah doresh mysteries
Ruth Benjamin’s on a golden chain
Happy is the heart
Page 17 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room