Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What do you think of this story?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 2:40 pm
Moonlight wrote:
The only part that bothers me is alchohol. And I would like someone to clarify if the alchohol was given to the kids or not.

I think the magazine was already discarded. But if someone can check last week's Hamodia, it was there.
I think the insinuation was that he shared it with the kids.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 7:02 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
What other phone can you daven out of?

Ever hear of a siddur?
You can probably bet if someone feels the need to use a phone and not a siddur while he’s in shul, is also checking emails and other stuff on his phone while there too,

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 7:14 pm
I would assume it’s made up or satire, kind of like the “tzadikim” who go around pouring bleach or telling women to wear a scarf over their shirt. People need to work on themselves and not intimidate random people. The only people his job is to be machenech are his students and kids!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 8:18 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I would assume it’s made up or satire, kind of like the “tzadikim” who go around pouring bleach or telling women to wear a scarf over their shirt. People need to work on themselves and not intimidate random people. The only people his job is to be machenech are his students and kids!

Don't assume.
This seems to be a column of true inspirational stories.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 8:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Don't assume.
This seems to be a column of true inspirational stories.

So maybe exaggerated, embellished, based on some seed of truth. Either way it’s not inspirational and makes the community it’s about look judgmental .

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 9:20 pm
The rebbe was breaking the law, period. It is illegal to supply alcohol to minors under age 21. It is against most school rules to bring alcohol into the school regardless of how old the person is. And to supply alcohol to minors without their parents’ consent or knowledge? I would fire the man.

BeB'simcha

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 3:04 am
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
I'm disturbed that the rebbi is bringing alcohol to his 13 year old students Banging head

For me this is the only part of the story that disturbs me.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 8:48 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
If he's truly pained by the disrespect he see's going on in shuls and he really means it l'shem shamayim, then he's doing the right thing by reprimanding others about it. I most shuls in Williamsburg, (and in other communities) there are signs in shul to not take out a phone in shul. It takes real chutzpah and disrespect to ignore the signs.

First, he can do it privately. There's no reason to berate a person in a public room. He can call him to the outside, reach out to him after davening, and find other ways to discuss it with a person. The commandment not to shame ranks much higher than giving mussar to random strangers.

Second, if this was truly l'shem shamayim, then he wouldn't feel a need to boast about it.

Third, as others have said, taking on a kabalah that rests on other person but exonerates himself is what sticks out here. This reminds me of situations where a dh wants to become more stringent on something but makes the demands of the wife.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 8:49 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
This is your opinion. In my opinion, it's disrespectful towards the shul. (I'm not talking about using a phone on the subway or elsewhere. I mean specifically in shul. I think it’s a lack of respect towards to shul to use a phone in shul, regardless if it's a smartphone or not. It especially inappropriate to use a smartphone in shul in a community where smartphones are frowned upon.) No, the melamed is is not a ruchnias police, but if he means it leshem shamayim, he's doing the right thing.

That is totally not true. People can very misguided in their attempts to do something l'shem shamayim. Especially when that l'shem shamayim action is dependent on other people's actions.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 10:29 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
That is totally not true. People can very misguided in their attempts to do something l'shem shamayim. Especially when that l'shem shamayim action is dependent on other people's actions.

The suicide bombers are also lesheim shomayim.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 9:55 pm
OK. So now that I read this week's story, I see that it is column about technology. The tag line said something about the stories being 100% true.

The story this week went like this:
A boy had kosher phone that got damaged. He went to fix it and the repair place removed the filter. He suddenly realized he could access movies so for the next few days, all he did was watch movies. The chavrusa noticed he was totally not into the learning. He felt guilty and empty but couldn't stop himself.

Then a few nights later he was outside on the street and a car of wild bochurim (ie. Bummy boys) started driving wildly towards him and stopping right before impact. They did it again and again, obviously just to bother him and scare him.

This led him to thinking the following thoughts: the only reason these bochurim are bothering me is because I am a "regular " bochur. But if I continue watching these movies, within3 years, I will be just like these wild boys. Do I really want to be like them??

So the next day, he went right to the store to make sure to replace the filter. Not only that, he disabled text as well, so now he can only use the phone to talk.

The end.

I don't know if I am more disturbed about this story or the previous story. I guess I should stop reading this column because this whole way of thinking is so foreign to me, but I have a whole lot of issues with this story and what it insinuates.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:23 am
Bumping this because im curious to hear what others think about this second story.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:27 am
I agree that he shouldn't be a crazy person who tries to scare people by driving right into them.

But why was he watching movies, just because he could? And does he know that even a phone that just talks can call some inappropriate hotline? The problem isn't the phone, it's what you do with it.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:31 am
This sounds like the story about the girls being burned on their legs in Gehennom because they wore socks instead of tights.

Not my derech of Chinuch, not my approach to Yiddishkeit.

Yes there is room for S'char V'onesh. But a Yiddishkeit built exclusively on fear of punishment is not a healthy Yiddishkeit.

I connect to Hashem because I love Hashem and want to do things for Hashem.

I put a filter on my phone because I know Hashem doesn't want me to go to certain places and I want to give myself a barrier so I won't do so accidentally or in a brief moment of desire.

I use technology to serve Hashem. I am careful with it because I realize it is dangerous, like a car or a sharp knife. It may need some training or safeguards, and some people who know that they can't handle the responsibility properly should avoid it until they learn how. But it can also be very useful.

I am sure Hashem is happy with many of the things I use technology for, because they have brought people to do more mitzvos and feel closer to Hashem.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:34 am
Made up story. Even less believable than the first.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:34 am
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
I agree that he shouldn't be a crazy person who tries to scare people by driving right into them.

But why was he watching movies, just because he could? And does he know that even a phone that just talks can call some inappropriate hotline? The problem isn't the phone, it's what you do with it.

Huh? It was other boys who were driving into him. He basically decided that he would end up just Iike them if he continued watching stuff on his unfiltered phone.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:38 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
This sounds like the story about the girls being burned on their legs in Gehennom because they wore socks instead of tights.

Not my derech of Chinuch, not my approach to Yiddishkeit.

Yes there is room for S'char V'onesh. But a Yiddishkeit built exclusively on fear of punishment is not a healthy Yiddishkeit.

I connect to Hashem because I love Hashem and want to do things for Hashem.

I put a filter on my phone because I know Hashem doesn't want me to go to certain places and I want to give myself a barrier so I won't do so accidentally or in a brief moment of desire.

I use technology to serve Hashem. I am careful with it because I realize it is dangerous, like a car or a sharp knife. It may need some training or safeguards, and some people who know that they can't handle the responsibility properly should avoid it until they learn how. But it can also be very useful.

I am sure Hashem is happy with many of the things I use technology for, because they have brought people to do more mitzvos and feel closer to Hashem.

What's the story of girls in gehinom being g burned on their legs?? I don't think I even want to hear.

This story wasn't about s'char and onesh.
It was about a cause and effect.
In a nutshell the message was that if a boy has a phone without a filter- he will come to watch movies all day. If he watches movies all day, within a matter of time he will become a wild bumny boy that terrorizes "regular" boys.
It's like that will obviously be the next step.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Huh? It was other boys who were driving into him. He basically decided that he would end up just Iike them if he continued watching stuff on his unfiltered phone.

Right. He wanted to avoid becoming like them. That is a goal I support. I just don't see how his phone has anything to do with it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:43 am
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:
Made up story. Even less believable than the first.

Are you the one who said the first story sounds made up?

My questron to you is, why do you think so? Do you think people who think like this don't exist?

If I were to tell you a miracle story and you say it's made up, fine. But we are talking of stories that the author claims is real and the only part that sounds crazy is the way these people think. So my question to you is if you don't believe people think this way? If not, how do you think there is an audience for this kind of stuff. Obviously there are people who think this way and they are encouraging others to view technology in the same way.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What's the story of girls in gehinom being g burned on their legs?? I don't think I even want to hear.

This story wasn't about s'char and onesh.
It was about a cause and effect.
In a nutshell the message was that if a boy has a phone without a filter- he will come to watch movies all day. If he watches movies all day, within a matter of time he will become a wild bumny boy that terrorizes "regular" boys.
It's like that will obviously be the next step.

It's in one of the Bais Yaakov tznius threads, if you ever do become curious.

I know that the story was about cause and effect, but the type of message the story was giving was s'char v'onesh. To scare people away from having unfiltered phones.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room