Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Love my 2 year old but he ruins every morning for me
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 12:42 pm
He decided that he won’t sit down in his car seat for anything, so me in my pregnant worn out state has to maneuver him somehow into his car seat by using extreme force or some other violent method like digging my elbows into his legs. He’s way stronger than me. I have no energy. I curse under my breath and beg hashem for help. This has been going on for weeks with no end in site. Help

Some mornings he escapes and jumps around the van and I need to chase him. That happened today. I have a slamming headache right now

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 12:46 pm
It's a stage.
Im going through the same thing and when I finally get there- to my destination he doesnt even want to come out of the car!
He jumps around the car..
I keep winkies in the car and I bribe him with it to sit down or to come out..

mom!

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 12:47 pm
I’ve found letting them carry the keys or my pocketbook really helped with this.

behappy2

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 12:48 pm
Do you have the strength to teach him?

I would do this. "we are going for ice cream. Let's hop into the car." "Yes, you need to wear a seatbelt otherwise it's not safe to go" if you do this like this after a while he will just be used to getting buckled in and it should be less of a struggle.

One thing that I always do (can't say it will work for you) is "we don't drive unless everyone is buckled" my kids are so used to it that generally they are happy to be buckled in. I've had times where I just sat for five minutes waiting.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 12:51 pm
He’s too smart for bribes and distractions. I’ve tried believe me.
Some mornings my husband is around, those are my best days cuz he’ll do the buckling for me. Bless his heart

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 12:53 pm
Have you tried asking him if he wants to buckle himself in too? He is probably not able to do it by himself but he's old enough to make some attempt. 2-year-olds love working on the things they see their adults doing. Sometimes inviting participation avoids conflicts. Worth a shot?

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 12:56 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Have you tried asking him if he wants to buckle himself in too? He is probably not able to do it by himself but he's old enough to make some attempt. 2-year-olds love working on the things they see their adults doing. Sometimes inviting participation avoids conflicts. Worth a shot?

This.
I let my 2 year old buckle the top clip.
Yet , it takes an extra minute but its worth it.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 1:03 pm
What kind of car seat is he in? My convertible seat takes a lot of strength to open.

behappy2

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 1:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s too smart for bribes and distractions. I’ve tried believe me.
Some mornings my husband is around, those are my best days cuz he’ll do the buckling for me. Bless his heart

Its not about bribes and distractions. Its about behavior techniques to get him on board with safety rules. The ice cream idea is that if he goes a few times buckled up he will be conditioned to buckle up even for a regular car ride. Unless you are saying that even for that he won't buckle up???

imaima

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 1:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He decided that he won’t sit down in his car seat for anything, so me in my pregnant worn out state has to maneuver him somehow into his car seat by using extreme force or some other violent method like digging my elbows into his legs. He’s way stronger than me. I have no energy. I curse under my breath and beg hashem for help. This has been going on for weeks with no end in site. Help

Some mornings he escapes and jumps around the van and I need to chase him. That happened today. I have a slamming headache right now

First I wanted to write that you were lucky that it was just the morning.

But I really do feel sorry for you! It is a difficult age.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 1:20 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

He. Will. Not. Buckle. If I give him the chance, he’ll try to wiggle out ..

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 1:23 pm
2 years old can do this to you… mine is also making me crazy and I love him dearly bh 😝

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 1:28 pm
Same thing hapening with mine. everything is a fight! I always tell him one day hes going to have kids just like him! He doesnt understand but it gives me hope. Cant wait for grandkids!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 1:55 pm
My toddler recently decided to put up a fight wherever I get him dressed in the morning.

We both wake up so happy but the mood always sours once I start attempting to dress him. He's also very stubborn, once his clothes are on, he will try to remove it and hardly gets distracted, only candy works which I obviously don't allow him to have in the morning for breakfast.

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 2:45 pm
How about a cookie or an Uncle Moishy vitamin? That's how I get my toddler to buckle up

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 3:05 pm
Try putting him in the car- not in the car seat and saying “Okay - you can jump around and play in the car for a few minutes and then when you’re ready please sit in your car seat so we can go” And then sit down in the car and wait a few minutes for him.
If after a few minutes he still doesn’t want to get in his seat you can say- “Mommy is going to wait another minute for you to be ready but then we really have to go so I will help you get into your seat”
This takes away the power struggle because you’re giving him space to do what he wants also. Try it!

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 3:08 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
My toddler recently decided to put up a fight wherever I get him dressed in the morning.

We both wake up so happy but the mood always sours once I start attempting to dress him. He's also very stubborn, once his clothes are on, he will try to remove it and hardly gets distracted, only candy works which I obviously don't allow him to have in the morning for breakfast.

Time for a star chart

jfk92

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 4:53 pm
I absolutely relate to you. I got a lap table for carseat and then changed up the toys or sometimes snacks in there. Car seat became a fun place.

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 5:02 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:

put him to bed in his clothes.

SG18

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 5:19 pm
amother [ Sunflower ] wrote:
put him to bed in his clothes.

I do this if we have a time crunch in the morning.

It's not about wrestling your kid into doing what you want to do. Treat him like a person. Tell him where you're going, ask him if he wants help getting into his seat, explain that we need to buckle to be safe. Maybe there's a special toy that he can play with in the car. Or a favorite song you can play to take the pressure off.
Also, shift your mindset. Your day shouldn't be ruined because your child wasn't on the same page as you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics