Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I worked so hard doing this myself

feferkorn

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 11:25 pm
Do you polish your silver yourself?

Do you give it to cleaning lady to do it ?

And overall how often do you polish your silver ?

I'm so overwhelmed with doing everything myself.
My cleaning lady hasn't shown up anymore and I'm left with all of the house work . (I dont have big kids that can help out)
Can other people tell me how they manage their silver or is it not a priority for you even???
I polished my husband's menorah which made me end up with polishing the rest of my silver. yet .
My cleaning lady used to do it for me but now when she silently left, I am left with the work! (((

Alternative

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 11:31 pm
No silver here. I had a piece or two which I gave away years ago.
Totally not worth the work. I don’t even think it looks better than other alternatives (I have crystal and ‘gold’ or brass (who knows) and ceramic etc).

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 11:38 pm
I don’t polish my silver. It is a huge job and the last of my priorities.
One day I will eventually deal with it.
I do not give it to my cleaning help as if she scratches it, then what? I will be upset and accidents happen. My rule of thumb is avoid potential problems whenever possible, and I can deal with those few items or better yet, just not use them. I would never make someone pay to replace it, she didn’t ask clean something which costs what she makes in a week, and she works to put a roof over her and her family’s head and food on the table-I’m not taking her very hard earned money.
I also never ask her to wash Waterford bowls as I would have the same problem if it broke. She does wash my Mikasa, Christopher Stewart and all my Amazing Savings and Homegoods finds as if they break, so be it).

Elfrida

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 1:28 am
My grandmother used to turn silver polishing into a family activity. Even little children can help with small items. She sat everyone around the table with the silver polish and cloths, and a big bowl of water in the middle of the table a d everyone had their favourite items that they liked polishing. With everyone together it didn't take too long, and I remember it as being a fun event. Maybe that's why I still enjoy polishing the silver today.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 1:39 am
I don’t polish. If I don’t have a cleaning lady at that point, we have tarnished silver. If I do have, my silver sparkles.

imaima

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 1:45 am
feferkorn wrote:
Do you polish your silver yourself?

Do you give it to cleaning lady to do it ?

And overall how often do you polish your silver ?

I'm so overwhelmed with doing everything myself.
My cleaning lady hasn't shown up anymore and I'm left with all of the house work . (I dont have big kids that can help out)
Can other people tell me how they manage their silver or is it not a priority for you even???
I polished my husband's menorah which made me end up with polishing the rest of my silver. yet .
My cleaning lady used to do it for me but now when she silently left, I am left with the work! (((

My silver is tarnished. It is not that much of a priority.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 1:50 am
My silver is also tarnished. Every so often DH does it. So not a priority.

We have 3 silver items so it's not a huge job.

tp3

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 2:48 am
I polish about every 3 weeks. Tarnished silver on my shabbos table grates on my nerves all shabbos. It takes about half hour from start to finish. I don't enjoy polishing but I love the sparkle afterwards.

essie14

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 2:58 am
We have 2 silver chanukiot. I had them both lacquered so they don't tarnish.
The only other silver I have is our shabbat flatware and a few kiddush cups. I polish them myself, when I notice they are starting to tarnish. I'd rather give my cleaning lady the heavy work and polish the silver myself.
I do it about 3-4 times a year.

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 4:06 am
1. Store silver, wrapped in tissue paper or foil, in a closed box in which you place some chalk to absorb humidity, which hastens tarnish.
2. Wrap in tarnish-retardant cloth.
3. Use a polish that leaves a tarnish-retardant film.
4. After every use, rub with polishing gloves or cloth.
5. There is also a chemical dip that removes tarnish more or less instantly. It comes in a tall thin jar with a basket for dipping and is meant for flatware. However, it’s more toxic than polishes and isn’t meant to be used very often. It can leave a whitish patina on the surface.

The key is to seal out as much air and moisture as possible and to remove tarnish when it’s still barely there. That, or store it away altogether till your children are grown and you have more free time.

My silver sits in a closed cabinet and gets polished with a liquid or cream polish 2-3 times a year. In between I occasionally use polishing gloves. I used to use gloves every week and didn’t use polish at all but discovered that I’d rather use chemical polish a few times a year and not do anything every week.

gonewiththewind1

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 5:03 am

Last edited by gonewiththewind1 on Wed, Dec 15 2021, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

sweet

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 5:20 am
I polish my shobbas silver ever other week, or weekly if Im having guest.

Sometimes, I have my kids help, all those posts asking what do your boys do after school, this is the answer! (When I have the patience, I set my kids up to help)

Really it doesnt take more then 15 minutes,
And it makes the shobbas table so pretty.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 5:27 am
Take them to a professional silver restorer. They can be cleaned, replated, and coated in a tarnish proof dip. It will be expensive, but it can last you for years with proper care.

If that's not in your budget, clean everything as best as you can, and then buy "anti tarnish strips" to put anywhere you store your silver. Encloses places are best, like china cabinets or storage boxes. Even inside a silverware drawer will help.

Things you use very rarely should be cleaned and put in a heavy ziplock bag, and a tarnish strip put in. They should stay shiny forever if you do this.

PSA, if you have pearls or opals set in sterling silver, do not try to clean them yourself! The commercial silver cleaners are much too harsh, and pearls and opals are very soft. Once your jewelry is cleaned, put them in a ziplock with a tarnish strip. Put them back in as soon as you are done wearing them.

When storing silver, always remember that oxygen is your enemy.

Cookiegirl

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 5:44 am
Google polishing silver with aluminum foil, baking soda and salt...works well- just need to buff a little afterwards. Great for big pieces if you have a big enough basin or sink

mom!

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 5:49 am
You can try the polishing gloves. I would say it does a 90% job. Perfect when the cleaning lady is no show.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 6:04 am
Not a priority for me.
Leichter is lacquered. Bechers I polish using the Goddards foaming polish so it's the same work as washing dishes.
Everything else is stored away in plastic in a cabinet.
I take no pride in my silver. Sorry.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 6:04 am
asmileaday wrote:
Not a priority for me.
Leichter is lacquered. Bechers I polish using the Goddards foaming polish so it's the same work as washing dishes.

Are my kids doomed for shidduchim now?! LOL

feferkorn

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 7:06 am
Thank you everybody, great ideas for finding to make it easier. I wouldn't give to my kids though since I feel afterwards the mess will be 10x bigger than when started. It's too of a messy activity for me to give , sounds worse than paint for me . But I would try the glove and seal in plastic zip lock bag . Let alone I feel bad that my husband's menorah wasn't shining this year , only after chanukah before packing it away. I feel really mean I havnt gotten to it before. Chaval!!!

sweet

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 7:17 am
asmileaday wrote:
Not a priority for me.

I polish all my silver with the goddards polish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics