Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Living in Malcha

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 9:06 am
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here lives in the Malcha neighborhood in Jerusalem or knows what it's like there? I know the mall but that's it.

What kind of shuls are there? Stores/groceries? Is it mostly chiloni Israelis? What would it be like to live there with a family?

Thanks for any experience or insight!

salt

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 2:25 am
From what I've heard (from friends at work, etc) it's upper class chiloni and dati leumi Israeli.
I believe it's expensive.
Apart from that, no idea.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 2:30 am
Expensive. Like katamon and Baka type I think....

chanchy123

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 7:26 am
Malcha is one of the last almost exclusively secular neighborhoods in Yerushalayim (along with Nayot), saying that there are some shomer shabbat families there, a lot of the families are sfardi - so somewhat traditional - I actually have distant relatives who live there who are dati and they must to to a shul near their home, but they are the extreme minority.

etky

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 8:10 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Malcha is one of the last almost exclusively secular neighborhoods in Yerushalayim (along with Nayot), saying that there are some shomer shabbat families there, a lot of the families are sfardi - so somewhat traditional - I actually have distant relatives who live there who are dati and they must to to a shul near their home, but they are the extreme minority.

This is my impression of the neighborhood too.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:03 am
Thanks everyone!!

It looks like I have a real possibility of buying into a renovation of one of the old Arab homes there. And I am really torn about what to do... I see that that house is not a super far walk to the shuls etc. in Kiryat Yovel. Ramat Denya also has some of the overflow from Bayit Vegan, it's not that far... And the view from there is beautiful. But like... really? It's just so unexpected. And while I love going to Malcha mall every now and then, it's not the kind of place I would think I need to be in walking distance from. Just a regular makolet (that has food with hechsherim we use) and playground are usually more useful!

Any thoughts? It's an opportunity I need to seize and pursue in the next few days or it will probably pass.

Another factor, with getting permits etc. it would probably take another 2-3 years till we could actually move in there.

If anyone has ever done anything similar, or just any thoughts on this kind of thing--I just would welcome some feedback.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:05 am
Would you buy it as an investment?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:51 am
You mean and not live there?

No, I don't think so... Because we also need to live somewhere! But we don't have enough to buy two properties. And I don't think l'chatchilah I'd plan to just keep renting into perpetuity.

etky

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:54 am
I think investment-wise it would probably be a good move.
Quality of life-wise I'm not so sure.
There are a million factors though and only you know your family and their needs so as to be able to judge if it can be a good fit.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You mean and not live there?

No, I don't think so... Because we also need to live somewhere! But we don't have enough to buy two properties. And I don't think l'chatchilah I'd plan to just keep renting into perpetuity.

You can own and rent it for a good amount in that area and use the rent money to cover your own rent somewhere else.

banana123

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:00 pm
Why not buy it, renovate, and sell it? Then you can buy where you want to live.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 5:17 am
etky wrote:
I think investment-wise it would probably be a good move.
Quality of life-wise I'm not so sure.
There are a million factors though and only you know your family and their needs so as to be able to judge if it can be a good fit.

Thanks!

I really feel so undecided... I know that I don't feel the need to have neighbors exactly like me. And my kids are anyway taking buses to school that pass right by that house, it would actually be more convenient for them than where we are now. But somehow I am just having a hard time getting excited about the location. Can't tell if I'm being too picky about something that's objectively good.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 5:19 am
LovesHashem wrote:
You can own and rent it for a good amount in that area and use the rent money to cover your own rent somewhere else.

I really, really, really, really want to buy... Paint the walls the colors I like, etc. and really make a place my own.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 5:21 am
banana123 wrote:
Why not buy it, renovate, and sell it? Then you can buy where you want to live.

Then I have to wait four years at least till I can even think of looking for my "real" place? Prices might continue to rise everywhere and I'll be stuck?

I'll really kick myself if the perfect place for us comes on the market while we are going through the permit and construction period on this place that I am not sure about...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:08 am
I passed on this option, but I think it may still be available... And I am wondering if maybe I have been going about this all wrong.

We have a certain amount of money to spend on housing which does allow us to buy in Jerusalem, an expensive market. However it's still just a limited amount of money, not enough to get just anything anywhere--and meanwhile the dollar is going down, and property prices are going up!

Maybe I need to stop trying to find the place that feels like just the right home for us, and prioritize buying SOMETHING ASAP before our buying power gets even smaller?

Insight anybody?

To buy in order to sell sounds exhausting--but maybe I can buy just in order to have somewhere to live for the next few years, not think further, and leave open the option of reconsidering down the line?

How do I plan to deal with the next few years, before the property would be ready to live in? Right now we are living in a place with broken heat, a messed up layout, awful lighting (that would be expensive to change because it's all custom LEDs, just in awful colors), laundry outside in the cold and rain... I don't want to stay here for three more years, not to mention that the landlord is trying to sell it so we may HAVE to move at any time. However, the location is great as far as public transportation for all members of the family.

Most of the places that I have seen for sale in our price range, with convenient transportation, are not necessarily better than this one that we're living in now, that I have grown to really dislike.

Help? Insight? Advice? On a meta level this time?

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:14 am
Definitely buy in order to sell or contact a fincaial advisor so you can invest some of your money so it grows.

Prices keep rising and inflation is happening, keeping your money in the bank is having it shrink

camp123

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:28 am
But something. Rent it out. And rent something you want to live in. Or, move out of Jerusalem and buy something normal to live in. Those are you two options

grace413

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:34 am
Definitely buy now. You will have less buying power later on.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 6:09 am
Definitely buy now. Real estate prices in Israel never go down. When my youngest was a newlywed, about 12 years ago, they bought an apartment on a yishuv for about 350,000 shekel. Over the years they bought and sold 3 times, they now have an apt. worth about 1,800,000 which they are putting up for sale and finally buying the apartment they actually want to live in. Until now they've been renting, (and renting out their apts.) at first, close to where they were both studying, and now, convenient to work and type of neighbors and kehilla they are interested in.

I know it doesn't always work out that well but the odds are that you will make money by buying an apt. and lose money if you keep it in the bank.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions