Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Are you concerned when you see the California warning

leahleah

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:31 am
Proposition65 Warning for California Residents

If it's on furniture or bags? Do you hesitate to buy?

kenz

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:33 am
No. It’s a legal thing and exists in many, many products from other places, there’s just no law forcing them to advertise it.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:48 am
I am concerned, and I try to avoid buying if there's an alternative without that warning, but often there's not. The law is weak and the warning doesn't give you any real information. It tells you neither the identity of the toxic substance (you can look up Proposition 65 but all you get is a list of substances, any one or all of which could be in your product), nor where in the product it's found, nor in what quantity, nor whether there is potential for exposure to the substances under normal conditions of use.

On appliances I decided to assume that it's lead in the power cord, as lead is used in cord insulation to give it heft and flexibility. So I make sure to wash my hands after handling power cords, but for all I know, there could be elsewhere other toxins of which I'm unaware.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:55 am
No. A Prop 65 warning is very broad. All alcoholic beverages fall under prop 65.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:59 am
For those of us not in the know, can someone please give a little info?

pause

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 12:05 pm
(I'm assuming the Covid vaccine comes with a warning.)

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 12:10 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
For those of us not in the know, can someone please give a little info?

It's a CYA and is posted on everything including most public facilities. Like of course a parking structure will contain carcinogens as will just walking on the street.

There are certain items that are sold to consumers that are dangerous but the California warning covers too much to be taken seriously.

There was dry wall that created toxic off gassing; there are floors that emit chemicals by off gassing; there are faucets that contain lead which can contaminate your water. By buying from known manufacturers one is better protected. It is one of the reasons I cringe when I read that people are buying kitchen faucets from unknown Chinese importers rather than from a brand that one knows is safe like Moen or Delta which have well priced and safe items.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars