Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What are you making to break the fast?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

cupcake123

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:39 pm
Fresh rolls and omelettes with fillings
Vegi soup
Hopefully cinaminan buns

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:47 pm
Mushroom Cheese Loaf

Dough:
2 tsp sugar
3/4 Cup water
2 1/4 tsp (1 packet) active dry yeast
2 Tbsp oil
2 Cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
additional 2 Tbsp water while mixing
I just mix this in my bread machine but can be done by hand. Kneed until smooth. Will be sticky. Pour a little oil over it in bowl, cover and let rise for about an hour.

Roll out into a large thin-ish rectangle on an oiled surface (so it won't stick).

Spread with 4 oz shredded cheese (I like muenster, but any is fine),
small container of fresh mushrooms thinly sliced (you can use cans but this is much better. I've also used other vegetables, like colorful peppers, but we like mushrooms best).
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried parsley (or other herb, like basil or oregano)

fold the dough over the filling lengthwise to create a long log. Place on a cookie sheet, or roll into a circle, connect the ends, and put on a round pizza pan. Cut slits at 1" intervals. Drizzle olive oil over the dough, and sprinkle generously with additional garlic powder and parsley (or your chosen herb).

Bake at 450F for about 15 minutes, till lightly browned and dough is cooked thru. Serve warm.

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:49 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Mushroom Cheese Loaf

Dough:
2 tsp sugar
3/4 Cup water
2 Tbsp oil
2 Cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
I just mix this in my bread machine but can be done by hand. Kneed until smooth. Will be sticky. Pour a little oil over it in bowl, cover and let rise for about an hour.

Roll out into a large thin-ish rectangle on an oiled surface (so it won't stick).

small container of fresh mushrooms thinly sliced (you can use cans but this is much better. I've also used other vegetables, like colorful peppers, but we like mushrooms best).
1 tsp garlic powder

fold the dough over the filling lengthwise to create a long log. Place on a cookie sheet, or roll into a circle, connect the ends, and put on a round pizza pan. Cut slits at 1" intervals. Drizzle olive oil over the dough, and sprinkle generously with additional garlic powder and parsley (or your chosen herb).

Bake at 450F for about 15 minutes, till lightly browned and dough is cooked thru. Serve warm.

sounds delish! it sounds like a calzone

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:50 pm
anyone have a broccoli soup recipe?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:54 pm
Cinnamon Buns:

Dough:
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C oil
1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
2 eggs
pinch salt
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 C warm water
Mix to form a smooth dough. Let rise for 1 hour.

Filling:
1 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup confectionary sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
1/2 box vanilla pudding mix
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon

Roll out into a rectangle, as thinly as possible. Smear oil onto dough to cover, and sprinkle with brown sugar. Then spread fillling over oil/brown sugar. Roll up jelly roll style, stretching as you go. Slice into 1" slices and lay on cookie sheet (I do it over a silpat or parchment paper), keeping them not too far apart but not squished together either. Allow to rise for 15 minutes, then brush with beaten egg.

Bake at 350, about 20 minutes or so, till golden and not doughy.

I sometimes brush with glaze when done:
1/2 Cup confectionary sugar
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tbsp boiling water
1/2 tbsp soy milk

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:54 pm
jewishmom6 wrote:
sounds delish! it sounds like a calzone

yes, very similar

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:58 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
Yummmm
any onion soup recipe?
what is a mushroom cheese loaf?
what sort of salad?

For onion soup, I just take like 5 onions or so, slice them thin, and saute in oil for a while on low flame - about 1/2 hour - till very carmelized.
I sprinle on some onion soup mix - maybe 1/4 cup or so - and some flour, about same amount.
Mix it up till pasty, and then add water till pot is full-ish. If I'm using 3 qt pot I fill. But sometimes use 6 qt pot and fill halfway.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil and cook about 20 minutes.
Serve with shredded cheese over soup - it melts - and garlic croutons (bought).

Salad, would be a tossed salad. Probably some lettuce, cucumber, thin sliced purple onion, avocado, tomato. With caesar dressing.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:01 pm
Chayalle thanks!

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:08 pm
Thank you Chayalle!

Simcha36

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:13 pm
Any excellent Sponge cake recipe?

lentil soup ?

kalsee

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:13 pm
Our regular break the fast meal:
Scrambled eggs
Soft cheese
Salad
Fresh rolls

This time we also had split pea soup and dd made cookies and iced coffee

Dh' s rosh kollel decided that he wanted everyone to stay until the end of the day (generally on a fast day they'll end early) so he brought in bagels and spreads for them to break the fast and stay

saltandvinegar

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:15 pm
Chocolate chip banana bread
Baked ziti
salad so I dont feel so guilty about the baked ziti calories Tongue Out LOL

etky

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:19 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Cinnamon Buns:

Dough:
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C oil
1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
2 eggs
pinch salt
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 C warm water

Filling:
1 Cup sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon

Roll out into a rectangle, as thinly as possible. Smear oil onto dough to cover, and sprinkle with brown sugar. Then spread fillling over oil/brown sugar. Roll up jelly roll style, stretching as you go. Slice into 1" slices and lay on cookie sheet (I do it over a silpat or parchment paper), keeping them not too far apart but not squished together either. Allow to rise for 15 minutes, then brush with beaten egg.

1 tbsp oil
1/2 tbsp boiling water
1/2 tbsp soy milk

So this basically is my challah recipe, minus the vanilla sugar.
It makes a delicious, sweet and eggy challah but I also use it to make rolled yeast cake logs which I fill with either cinnamon sugar or chocolate spread. I also make a glaze. It helps keep the cakes moist.

etky

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:21 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Mushroom Cheese Loaf

Dough:
2 tsp sugar
3/4 Cup water
2 Tbsp oil
2 Cups flour
3/4 tsp salt

1 tsp garlic powder

Sounds great! I'm totally going to try this.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:22 pm
Bagels
Scrambled eggs with sautéed onions and tomatoes
Tomato soup
Lukshen cheese kugel
Whole wheat penne

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:25 pm
etky wrote:
So this basically is my challah recipe, minus the vanilla sugar.
It makes a delicious, sweet and eggy challah but I also use it to make rolled yeast cake logs which I fill with either cinnamon sugar or chocolate spread. I also make a glaze. It helps keep the cakes moist.

that is so interesting. Do you ever put sweet crumbs on your Challah? One of my sisters does this.

The recipe is from my friend Chaya Dina Braun, who used to do recipes for Binah magazine back in the day. I like it because it doesn't need much advance prep and comes out delicious (I have a different cinnamon bun recipe that requires overnight refrigeration of the dough. Results are similar. I make that one when I want to make the dough the night before, and deal with the baking the next day.)

etky

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:31 pm
Chayalle wrote:
that is so interesting. Do you ever put sweet crumbs on your Challah? One of my sisters does this.

The recipe is from my friend Chaya Dina Braun, who used to do recipes for Binah magazine back in the day. I like it because it doesn't need much advance prep and comes out delicious (I have a different cinnamon bun recipe that requires overnight refrigeration of the dough. Results are similar. I make that one when I want to make the dough the night before, and deal with the baking the next day.)

Nope. But I do use cinnamon sugar for topping instead of sesame seeds, when I make my round challot during Tishrei.
Then - with the honey that we dip it in - it really tastes almost like cake!

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:36 pm
Simcha36 wrote:
Any excellent Sponge cake recipe?

lentil soup ?

This is my cheat lentil soup.

1 onion (optional)
1 bag frozen carrots
optional 1 bag frozen butternut squash.
1 courgette (any random veggies you have will work - leek, cauliflower, celery)
red lentils.
some soup powder or stock cube

saute onions, add veggies and water to cover plus stock cube and salt and pepper. Add lentils. Let it cook till everything is soft.

Puree.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:38 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Cinnamon Buns:

Dough:
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C oil
1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
2 eggs
pinch salt
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 C warm water

Filling:
1 Cup sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon

1 tbsp oil
1/2 tbsp boiling water
1/2 tbsp soy milk

If you have cream cheese totally worth making a cream cheese frosting. Brings them up to a whole new level.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 2:42 pm
Raisin wrote:
If you have cream cheese totally worth making a cream cheese frosting. Brings them up to a whole new level.

Yeah, I do that too sometimes. Yum!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note