Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Special ed services and schools in Monsey

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 6:30 pm
What are the options in the Monsey area for a child who is aging out of Gan Ezra other than public schools? If the child is not ready to be mainstreamed and needs a self-contained class. This would be for a child with spectrum needs and poor language/social skills but not a child who is low functioning.
Has anyone had any luck with any schools in NJ like Sinai or such and been able to use OPWDD or self direction funding or is the only option to move? Which districts are the best to move to that cover the best schools? Does moving to NJ make sense or are the services in NY better even if the school situation is not in Monsey area. If anyone has been in a similar situation and can advise please comment!

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 6:33 pm
There is a program in Monsey called Yesodos; self-contained elementary girls.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 6:34 pm
what age child?
Ohr V'Daas opened an elementary age class also...
I think Yesodos starts at second grade, but I'm not sure

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 6:43 pm
Can someone tell me more about Ohr Vdaas? My impression is that it is very low functioning. Also what is the tuition like?
I would love to hear more about Yesodos. This is for a pre 1a or 1st grade child.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 6:54 pm
There is a pretty new program called legadel. It has boys and girls self contained classes. They rent out classrooms in other schools. I know chassisdish people who send there, I'm not sure if it is yiddish or english speaking.

I have heard many great things about the program. Parents are thrilled. And it is mostly govt funded.
Hatzlacha

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 7:35 pm
Thanks I am pretty sure Legadel is only for chassidish children and is Yiddish speaking. I am also looking for real special ed teachers if possible to teach reading and writing etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 9:12 am
Bumping this up

Does anyone know anout yesodos if it is still open and what kind of population it caters to? Or any other ideas

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 9:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bumping this up

Does anyone know anout yesodos if it is still open and what kind of population it caters to? Or any other ideas

I don’t know anything about it except that it’s run in bais rochel school. I know a girl attending this year.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 10:18 am
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
I don’t know anything about it except that it’s run in bais rochel school. I know a girl attending this year.

Thanks. What kind of child is this just curious what kind of population they are catering to

caringtherapist

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 7:59 pm
There's a new Montessori school that opened this year in stony point. It's off exit 15 on the palisades. (15 minutes from main monsey) huge gorgeous property, A ton of equipment, professional etc. They opened with ages 2-4.5 and will go up each year. For more info you can reach out to Mrs goldenberg at +1 (332) 207-1610.

amother
Canary

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 9:06 pm
I am opening a self contained class this year exactly for those students out of Hasc Gan Ezra. I am a licensed Special Ed Teacher. But sorry , it will be a Chassidish Yiddish speaking class so I cannot help you there.
There really is a need.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 9:06 pm
Sinai schools??

amother
Canary

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 9:08 pm
Ashar has a self-contained class. I think tuition is expensive though. Also I heard Cheder Chabad has one too.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 9:14 pm
It’s an embarrassing disaster. There are no good options

amother
Canary

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 9:58 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
It’s an embarrassing disaster. There are no good options

What is?

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 11:17 pm
OP, I just spoke to one of the teachers in Hasc. She says the situation is so tough, especially for kids who ARE lower functioning.

What are the rest of the kids in the class doing? Did you speak to other parents of her current classmates?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 11:24 pm
amother Canary wrote:
OP, I just spoke to one of the teachers in Hasc. She says the situation is so tough, especially for kids who ARE lower functioning.

What are the rest of the kids in the class doing? Did you speak to other parents of her current classmates?
This thread is from last year so I sure hope she found something. A spammer bumped it up to plug her school.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 6:29 am
amother Canary wrote:
What is?

The lack of options for special children. They are also the eibeshters kids. Yet in monsey the options are borderline non existent. Especially if the disability isn’t downs
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)