Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Bright students who call out ridiculously
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 10:46 pm
Hi, I teach 3-5 grade and have a few students who call out in a silly, attention-seeking way.
They are all extremely bright. Maybe it's because they're bored?

Fellow teachers (and if you're not a teacher, that's ok, but please say where you're coming from- say what you are, e.g.- a mom of similar kids this age, or just a commentator with no experience)

Could you please advise?
What would you do?

I am not a tough teacher.

I thought of giving them creative/logic puzzles to do for enrichment, but then they won't be "with" me when I call I them...

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 10:49 pm
May be executive function issues

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 10:53 pm
Yeah it’s boredom. I’m dealing with this as the mother. It’s tough I’m looking for solutions as well.

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 10:56 pm
I have a son that is absolutely brilliant. When he was in third grade his teacher hated him because he always had his hand raised with questions and comments and he would call out. He wasn't generally an impulsive kid, though. The problem was that his mind works like a computer and when teacher mentioned an idea (that the rest of the class never heard of) he was cross referencing in his mind all the the concepts that were relevant to the topic. This really annoyed the teacher. He is now in high school and doing excellently. He matured. And he is in an accelerated program plus skipped in high school to top tracks. Elementary school is such a drag for exceptional students. It's all about being a good rule follower and not about being a creative thinker. My goal was just to get him through elementary school in one piece and with self esteem intact.

steak4me

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 10:56 pm
I was that student.

I had some teachers who shut me down and some who worked with me.

Give those girls extra responsibilities. They take care of the copies. Let them create sheets for you. Let them think of brain teasers related to your class for extra credit for the rest of the class.
Allow them to bring a book into the classroom and read when they understood, and the others still need more explaining.

Basically empower them.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 10:59 pm
You're right that they are probably bored. Giving them puzzles is a good idea. Don't worry that they won't be with you when you need them to be. They don't need to be with you. They're absorbing the material faster than others.

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:00 pm
1. I'd give a gentle reminder at first. Then ignore calling out and very deliberately call on kids who raised hands (thank you Sara for raising your hand).
2. Give positive attention to those who follow the rules and as little attention as possible for the kids calling out. If it persists then pull them aside individually for a warning, then call home if needed.
3. Give the kids who call out positive attention when they do the right thing. They want attention, so give them opportunities to help or to be silly when it's appropriate and helpful. If you think they need a challenge, you can give them more challenging work or opportunities to help you teach.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:02 pm
Thank you!!! Keep the ideas coming.

Another question.

These same students take FOREVER to leave school at the end of the day.
Like five minutes longer than everyone else.
It's not because they're schmoozing.

Somehow they still need to put on their costs and pour folders into backpacks, and I'm standing at the door, turning off the lights.

Any tips to get them to do things earlier?
I guess I can remind them, "esti/chana/ruchi please put on your coat," when everyone what is doing so.

It's interesting to me that it's the same firms whose brains are fired up with answers and funny comments are so sloooooowwww at packing up.

Is that what you mean by executive functioning?

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:22 pm
OP, my daughter is in 3rd grade and she's the girl calling out. She just loves attention and loves to talk and can't keep quiet. Bh she has a doll of a teacher that doesn't just shut her up. The teacher made a chart for her, she gets a sticker every day that she doesn't call out more than X amount of times. Every week that she completes the chart, she gets an exciting treat. Bh my daughter is so excited with her private attention and is really working hard to control herself.

esther7

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:23 pm
I've given some students a pretty mini notepad and had a discussion about appropriate times/ways to speak/ask etc in class. And told them that if there's something they really want to say but know it's not the right time they can write it in the notebook or draw a pic of it. They can come show me things from their notebook if they want during lunch, snack time etc but totally don't have to. It works for some girls, not every personality would go for something like that though

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:34 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
1. I'd give a gentle reminder at first. Then ignore calling out and very deliberately call on kids who raised hands (thank you Sara for raising your hand).
2. Give positive attention to those who follow the rules and as little attention as possible for the kids calling out. If it persists then pull them aside individually for a warning, then call home if needed.
3. Give the kids who call out positive attention when they do the right thing. They want attention, so give them opportunities to help or to be silly when it's appropriate and helpful. If you think they need a challenge, you can give them more challenging work or opportunities to help you teach.

As the mother of a boy like OP is describing, NO just NO, this is not a way to handle these type of children! You need to work with them and empower them as another above said. Give them extra responsibility, puzzles etc. Don’t ignore them as if they’re attention seeking trouble makers. It will just make things ten times worse.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:38 pm
I haven’t read the responses, but my son is kinda that kid. He isn’t silly, or looking for attention, he just literally doesn’t stop talking. He even talks in his sleep….

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 12:12 am
I am actually the mother of such a child and the teacher called me to work with him and he’s being patient and aMzing most days it works some days it doesn’t but teacher told me he sees a huge huge difference we made a home chart I give the prizes and the teacher give the marks nd me and my son go according to the marks nd after a few he gets a prize marks ranging from 1-3 and it’s cute that my son tells me today it was hard for me so I spoke and got a 2 I never punish him and keep encouraging and telling him he’s doing a great job with it.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 12:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Another question.

Somehow they still need to put on their costs and pour folders into backpacks, and I'm standing at the door, turning off the lights.

I guess I can remind them, "esti/chana/ruchi please put on your coat," when everyone what is doing so.

It's interesting to me that it's the same firms whose brains are fired up with answers and funny comments are so sloooooowwww at packing up.

Sounds like executive functioning if it's the same kids. They don't need to be told "put on your coat" they need the sequence broken down of everything that entails leaving the room. Break down all the steps needed to leave the room. Packing folder, tucking chair in, putting on coat etc.
Even visually on their desks or telling them or announcing to the class.
BTW hyssop idea was horrible, don't do that.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 1:12 am
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:

As the mother of dd, her teacher is trying really hard to implement these- and it’s backfiring big time. #1 The gentle reminder thing became one big joke in the classroom. And it now involves more than just 2-3 students but all kids. And they have a song for it among themselves. At this point they’re technically not sure if the next time they call out it will be another reminder/assignment/principal so they just keep trying they’re luck. Sort of. #2 giving more and less attention - kids are smarter than that. They won’t necessarily behave to get the attention. At this point it’s already fun. They may misbehave a lot more for more attention.
I say some students just have a need to call out for whatever reason, as seen by the many responses, : either occupy / challenge that student or pull her over and quietly discuss with her the issue at hand. Many time these students are super mature and can handle a dialogue where they feel respected very well. But they need to feel respected. Give them an opportunity to share why they’re behaving this way. And ask them what they think should be done about it. This can go along way. And when the teacher has such a student on her team- there’s a lot of smoother sailing going forward.

sarah14

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 1:26 am
I also have such a child. The teacher sends her on errands and tries to keep her occupied. The teacher did mention recently that she started teaching a more difficult concept and my daughter was thriving! She was actually using her brain! These kids need to be stimulated at all times. As a teacher I can’t cater only for that 1 child so occupy them otherwise. Hatzlacha!!!!

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 6:10 am
I've had many of these in my career. There's no one size fits all solution, but here's some things that I've done to help different kids:

Give a special notebook to write down all the questions and connections she has and discuss during dismissal.
Every few questions in class throw out a really hard one that makes them think hard.
Let them do sudokus while they listen.
Give them 3 blocks at the beginning of the day- they can interupt with their thoughts 3 times, after that there's whatever consequence
Put them right in front of me to whisper their thoughts to me

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 6:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi, I teach 3-5 grade and have a few students who call out in a silly, attention-seeking way.
They are all extremely bright. Maybe it's because they're bored?

Fellow teachers (and if you're not a teacher, that's ok, but please say where you're coming from- say what you are, e.g.- a mom of similar kids this age, or just a commentator with no experience)

Could you please advise?
What would you do?

I am not a tough teacher.

I thought of giving them creative/logic puzzles to do for enrichment, but then they won't be "with" me when I call I them...

Teacher here.
Haven't taught these ages though.

It is a myth that bright students misbehave. For many reasons. All students can learn rules of classroom behavior.

They call out during which phase of the lesson? Are they done earlier than the others? Is it in the beginning when you do an introduction or explain the task?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 6:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Another question.

Sounds like they are feeling too comfortable with you. So they can call out, take their time etc. Alpha girls.

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 6:28 am
I’m sure you are a caring proactive teacher;however, I want to point out gently to you that your posts and even your thread title "ridiculous" scream irritation and criticism of these kids. They are young kids! Personally were it me I would look within to find what is so triggering for me about these bright engaged kids and their behavior. That can only benefit you as well. When something is so emotionally charged it is usually a sign that something needs to be processed and resolved within. Can you find anything you do like about these kids? (signed) older and have seen maaaaany kids of all types in the schools
Hugs and hatzlocha
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics