Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Leash / Harness
1  2  Next

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 8:25 am
Honestly, what do you think of those who use a leash or a harness on their kid?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 8:35 am
Honestly Ruchel, there are kids who will run away or wander off any chance they get. I see it every day as I work in a nursery school. This is TERRIFYING in a busy area or a crowded outdoor event. At those kinds of places I feel like I have to be hyper alert about the location of my children at all times and it isn't fun.

I don't own a leash, but I have wished that I did. We lost our son for a few minutes at a big Thomas the Tank Engine outdoor festival. It was the scariest 3 minutes of my life. B"H we found him safe and sound.

I wouldn't judge a person who uses them - every mother knows her kids and her ability to keep track of them.

Are you thinking of getting one or did you see a mother using one and start wondering about it?

happyone

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 8:38 am
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:

I wouldn't judge a person who uses them - every mother knows her kids and her ability to keep track of them.

Are you thinking of getting one or did you see a mother using one and start wondering about it?

I personally would rather keep a child strapped into the carriage - I think the leash looks dog-like, but don't judge those that choose to use it.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 8:48 am
I was thinking about getting one for ds. Dh is not into it b/c of what people might think, but I think I'm going to get one. Ds is very rambunctious, and loves to run around like most little kids (ok, maybe a bit more). Keeping him strapped in a carriage is not something that he enjoys, he likes to walk around. He would kvetch in a stroller, but if he gets to walk around, he'll be a lot happier. The harnesses these days are not as leash like, I saw one that was just a monkey backpack that the kid wears and the tail mom holds. That way, the kid can have freedom, but not get lost.

mandksima

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 8:58 am
When my twins were young, my father would take them out for walks to the park or in the mall wearing the leashes. They were so cute but I'm sure many spectators would say how terrible, etc. That was the way my father would feel in control of them and I appreciated having someone else that I trusted watch them. I don't think I ever used them personally as they bothered me mostly because what other people would say, as I already heard enough "advice" from others and had enough. Normally, I wasn't so concerned about others but since I didn't like the idea too much either, I didn't want to defend its usage. I definitely wouldn't think badly of anyone else who uses it though. Whatever works. My kids didn't really run off like others do but since I had 2, it was harder to keep an eye on both running in opposite directions.

mimivan

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 9:00 am
Ruchel wrote:
Honestly, what do you think of those who use a leash or a harness on their kid?

Honestly Ruchel, I have to say I don't know.
I can absolutely understand why a parent would use such a thing. Mine have been rambunctious...but I imagine, especially in E.Y I would fetch a lot of criticism for using one...

I have seen nice looking ones with longish leashes but not over here...I think alot of Israelis would freak!

And I had one to use at home from my oldest, but he hated it so much, I gave it away after three attempts.

I wouldn't judge, but it isn't for us..

Clarissa

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 9:03 am
My friend, who lives in Israel, came to NYC and saw the leashes and was shocked. She was also appalled when she saw how old kids are who are still in strollers here. Then she said she felt less so when she saw the risk of having a child run into the street.

I'd never do it. My little one is either in a stroller or holding my hand. If I have a kid who needs a leash to keep from running into the street, he needs to be in a stroller. My job is to hold on if he's not strapped into a stroller.

My kids are widely spaced, so I haven't had to deal with having several little ones to deal with. If I see a big family with several little ones, the leash makes more sense to me.

Helani

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 9:12 am
Leashes can be extremely useful, especially if you live next to a big road or will be in a large crowd. I used to use it on my oldest when she was between a year and about 20 months, because our building was right by a large road and she had no sechel about running on the street. It would take one second of being distracted for her to dash right in front of a car. with my other kids we live on a very quiet street, so it's much easier to watch them.
Kids themselves don't mind at all. Actually my oldest two put it on each other when they find it and take each other on a walk. Smile A child could suffer much more emotional/physical damage from getting lost/hurt than from being restrained and at least on a leash they have more freedom than being strapped in a stroller.

Akeres Habayis

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 12:50 pm
when I first saw it I was shocked also the one that wraps around the whole upper body.I think if its one that goes on his/her wrist and the other on mine then it wouldn't be so bad.but like mimivan said it wouldnt' go over well here in eretz hakodesh.
dd is now wanting to show independence by walking, w/out me holding her hand Twisted Evil but I dont think I have to resort to a leash,thank G-d

amother

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 1:07 pm
My daughter was able to unbuckle her 5 point harness since she was 12 months old. She could be all buckled in her stroller one minute, then while I was checking traffic to see if it was safe to cross, she would be out like a flash and heading into the intersection. The leash gave her freedom to move on her own, but I wasn't constantly stressed out worried over her safety.

My other children weren't like that. If they were strapped in they stayed strapped in, if they were holding my hand they hardly tried to squirm away. If my oldest had not been the way she was, I would also rush to judge the mothers who leashed their children.

Nowadays they have some really cute options, so it doesn't look as bad.

zigi

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 12:25 pm
does the child mind being in a leash? if you were at the aquarium in nyc you probably heard dd screaming about being put in the stroller. she loves walking but wants to go her own way. she can get out of the stroller really easily. at her age ds would hold on the stroller and walk. but she wants to do her own thing.

cdawnr

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 2:49 pm
I LOVE IT.

My dd who is 2 is a total runner, but needs some independence.
I have 3 kids close together so I can't be eagle eye on her alone as she is in the middle.

last yr when we lived in oregon and went hiking a lot we used one on our oldest to keep him from getting too close to edge of the path when there was a steep slope.

I don't care what people think...the harness is a huge safety benefit for us.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 4:12 pm
thanks everyone!

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 4:18 pm
I think any parent who puts "what other people think" over the safety and well being of their child have serious issues. It's one thing if your child minds you and doesn't need one, but for an active, busy child to deliberately not use one is just careless IMO. Re: stroller, most kids 2yrs+ I know can wriggle out if they can't already undo the straps!

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 4:27 pm
Well, I've been thinking about it a lot. And, after going to the Prospect Park Zoo during Chol hamoed, I'm pretty much definitely going to get one. Ds is so energetic and wonderful., but I just don't trust him not to run away, or, dive into the sea lion tank, which he tried to do! I wouldn't use it all of the time, but def. when going places like a zoo, because that was horrendous! They have a cute little backpack with waterbottle. I just want one that's long enough that he has his freedom. Keeping him in a stroller is impossible. He wiggles out of the straps and then stands up while the stroller is moving.

I have to go get one.

Maya

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 4:33 pm
I bought one that ties around the kid's wrist. I have never used it yet, but I might if I'm going to a busy park or zoo when my son refuses to sit in a stroller, but tries to let go of my hand. It doesn't look so bad, and it's safer. But I'm sure my son won't like it...

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 4:34 pm
I'm just scared that if he runs really fast, his wrist might get dislocated. CH"V

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 4:37 pm
I have one, and ds knows its his, and even wants to wear it in the house.
it means he can walk a bit and be independant, instead of having to sit in the carriage, I dont trust him to hold on to the side while I push ds2. and I´m sure he´d work out how to take off the wrist one in a minute.

Maya

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 4:41 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
I'm just scared that if he runs really fast, his wrist might get dislocated. CH"V

Oh, didn't think of that. Confused

raizy

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 6:00 pm
the wrist ones dont work. the kid can learn how to get rid of it in a minete. I used both kinds. it worked when I had the 3 oldes close together. and they would all want to run to the 4 corners of the worlds.

now I use a double carriage. for my 2 youngest . my 3 older ones walk.!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics