Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Pomegranate and Honey Glazed Chicken

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 10:24 am
This was very easy. I made the simmer sauce ahead of time and then it was just browning the chicken and onions and letting them braise until cooked.

I didn't cut up a chicken but used parts and I also skinned the chicken because who needs all that excess fat in a chicken dish when the skin is not crisp but flabby? LOL

Although there is an element of sweet the other flavorings complement it so the result is not unduly sweet.

I have a very large saute pan for this kind of sautéed chicken dish because this enables me to sear the meat in one batch because if you crowd protein you steam it and you don't get the optimum result which is the purpose of searing meat before braising. Technically it is called the Maillard reaction which is a chemical reaction which gives browned food its distinctive taste

For those interested in more about it

https://www.scienceofcooking.c.....n.htm

Pomegranate and Honey Glazed Chicken

Ingredients

For the chicken:

* 1 4 lb chicken cut in 1/8ths (breasts cut in half if large)
* 4 Tbsp canola oil (separated: 2 Tbsp for simmer sauce and 2 Tbsp for browning the chicken)
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* ½ cup pomegranate molasses
* ½ cup sweetened pomegranate juice
* ½ cup honey
* 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
* 1 tsp cumin
* ½ tsp powdered ginger
* ⅛ tsp allspice
* ½ tsp turmeric
* salt and pepper to taste

For the garnish:

* 2 Tbsp parsley
* 2 Tbsp pomegranate arils (seeds)

Directions

Heat 2 Tbsp canola oil in a large pan (you’ll need a lid for later).

Sauté chopped onion until soft and translucent. Add minced garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes (do not brown). Add pomegranate molasses, juice, honey, broth and spices. Stir and bring to boil.

Reduce to an active simmer, and cook uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced by about ½ the volume and slightly thickened. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning. Too tart? Add 1-2 Tbsp honey. Want more kick? Crack more black pepper.

Remove sauce from heat and pour into bowl. Set aside. Wash pan.

Rinse chicken parts, pat dry, season with salt and pepper. Heat remaining 2 Tb. of oil in pan and place chicken parts skin side down.

Brown on one side and flip to second side. Do not crowd chicken in the pan as this causes chicken to steam rather than brown. Lower heat, pour prepared simmer sauce over the chicken.

Cover pan and simmer on low for 35-40 minutes.

Remove from pan and platter, garnishing with chopped parsley and pomegranate arils.

ta1

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 5:29 am
Can I make it without pomegranate molasses?

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 10:44 am
ta1 wrote:
Can I make it without pomegranate molasses?

You can experiment with a chicken dish but it wouldn't have the same results as this dish since pomegranate molasses is an essential ingredient for the final result.

Pomegranate molasses is widely available especially in most well stocked grocery stores and would be available in a good "Jewish" store since it is used in many Sephardic and/or Middle Eastern recipes..

If you can't find it, it is easy to make since it is essentially pomegranate juice with some sugar and lemon juice which is boiled down until it is the consistency of a thickened syrup.

You can make it ahead of time and just store in the refrigerator

Pomegranate Molasses (Homemade)

YIELD 1 cup

Ingredients

* 4 cups pomegranate juice
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice

Reduce to a syrup: 
Simmer for about an hour, or until the juice has a syrupy consistency, and has reduced to 1 to 1 1/4 cups. 
If you want your pomegranate molasses to be sweeter, add more sugar to taste, while you are cooking it. 

Store in a jar, chilled: 
Pour out into a jar. Let cool. Store chilled in the refrigerator.

ta1

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 7:43 am
My problem is I can’t have any sugar…

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 10:20 am
ta1 wrote:
My problem is I can’t have any sugar…

Why in the world would you be attracted to a dish that uses pomegranate molasses, pomegranate juice and honey if you can't have "sugar" in any form as all of these ingredients contain "sugar".

There are numerous delicious recipes that don't use ingredients that contain "sugar" in any form. I don't know what your health reasons would be but check out cookbooks for diabetics or paleo cookbooks. Most Mediterranean recipes also eschew ingredients with sugar although there might be a very small amount used - e.g. classic Italian tomato sauces would have a tablespoon of sugar in a vast pot but it is not a principal ingredient but just used as a flavoring like salt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey