Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Conversation with cardiologist re Covid vax for kids
1  2  3  Next

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 10:29 am
**disclaimer-
I’m not here to convince anyone to vaccinate. I’m not giving the Covid vaccine to my kids (at least as of now- unless something drastically changes)
But, it was interesting to hear his perspective and if anyone is being pushed to make a decision I’ll share his thoughts in case this helps anyone (reputable senior pediatric cardiologist).

In short, he explained to me that the myocarditis he’s been seeing with Covid is way worse than the myocarditis he’s seeing with the vaccine. So in other words, he’s not denying the potential side effect, but still preferring that, as it’s less intense and temporary than the Covid virus effect.

Gezinta winter to all!

amother
Black

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:00 pm
They can’t even know this info yet because there’s a very small percent of kids who had Covid, and a small percent that had the vax.

When they will make the vaccine mandatory for children, which is very soon, then they will be able to see the real amount of myocarditis cases from vaccine.
Hopefully you are right, but there’s no way for them to know yet.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:01 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
They can’t even know this info yet because there’s a very small percent of kids who had Covid, and a small percent that had the vax.

When they will make the vaccine mandatory for children, which is very soon, then they will be able to see the real amount of myocarditis cases from vaccine.
Hopefully you are right, but there’s no way for them to know yet.

Very very very many children in the US had covid. Probably most school-aged children in NY, CA, TX, FL

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:09 pm
Ok but say my child had covid already when he wasn't eligible for a vaccine. I dont need to double his chances of ending up with myocarditis.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:12 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
Ok but say my child had covid already when he wasn't eligible for a vaccine. I dont need to double his chances of ending up with myocarditis.

It's not doubling his chances but you don't have to do anything.
I'm not giving the covid vaccine since the risk reward benefit is not convincing enough for me.
I may give one vaccine because that risk reward may be beneficial enough. I'll probably ask a shaila once applicable.

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:14 pm
My stepson has hypoplastic left heart. His cardiologist said he can not get covid. Well, he got it. BH he is ok as far as we know. The dr wants him to get the vaccine but for reasons I won't go into here, he is not. He is 21 and can make his own choices. But for the record, his CHOP cardio said yes, get it.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:15 pm
here we go again

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
My stepson has hypoplastic left heart. His cardiologist said he can not get covid. Well, he got it. BH he is ok as far as we know. The dr wants him to get the vaccine but for reasons I won't go into here, he is not. He is 21 and can make his own choices. But for the record, his CHOP cardio said yes, get it.

Why should he get the vaccine if he already had covid?

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:17 pm
Sunny Days wrote:
**disclaimer-
I’m not here to convince anyone to vaccinate. I’m not giving the Covid vaccine to my kids (at least as of now- unless something drastically changes)
But, it was interesting to hear his perspective and if anyone is being pushed to make a decision I’ll share his thoughts in case this helps anyone (reputable senior pediatric cardiologist).

In short, he explained to me that the myocarditis he’s been seeing with Covid is way worse than the myocarditis he’s seeing with the vaccine. So in other words, he’s not denying the potential side effect, but still preferring that, as it’s less intense and temporary than the Covid virus effect.

Gezinta winter to all!

Specifically in the 5-11 age group?? Or overall. Cuz there's a big difference.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:21 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Very very very many children in the US had covid. Probably most school-aged children in NY, CA, TX, FL

YOUNG children? Some. Far from all.
The vaccine will be mandated for all.
I hope we don’t find out the hard way.

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:29 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
Why should he get the vaccine if he already had covid?

Because his cardiologist, who went through medical training none of us went through said:
- recovering from covid does not provide forever immunity.
- the vaccine that we have at the moment does not provide forever immunity, but the vaccine IS known to lessen the lasting effects on those who do get covid after having been immunized.

I'm really not sure why at this point people still think recovering from covid provides forever immunity. It does not.

And people like my stepson need every precaution they can take to make sure they do not get it. He seems to be fine now BH. The doctor does not want his heart to undergo more that it needs to, and as such, he wants him to have the benefits of the vaccine.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:37 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
Because his cardiologist, who went through medical training none of us went through said:
- recovering from covid does not provide forever immunity.
- the vaccine that we have at the moment does not provide forever immunity, but the vaccine IS known to lessen the lasting effects on those who do get covid after having been immunized.

I'm really not sure why at this point people still think recovering from covid provides forever immunity. It does not.

And people like my stepson need every precaution they can take to make sure they do not get it. He seems to be fine now BH. The doctor does not want his heart to undergo more that it needs to, and as such, he wants him to have the benefits of the vaccine.

But does getting the vaccine give an added benefit to the immunity he already has from having had covid? There's no clear data that it does.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:37 pm
every thread that involves covid is gonna end up being about each side bringing their sources and proving there points. I don't think anybody is going to be convinced that their wrong here...

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:38 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
But does getting the vaccine give an added benefit to the immunity he already has from having had covid? There's no clear data that it does.

Like the data shows, as his cardiologist said, the vaccine lessens the impact of covid on those who get it.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 2:11 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:

Yes there is. The combination of immunity provides excellent protection.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 3:12 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:

I don’t think you’re doubling the chance- if he got through Covid well- then that’s great bh! I would wait about a year and then discuss with doc. (Which is our current plan)

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 3:15 pm
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
Specifically in the 5-11 age group?? Or overall. Cuz there's a big difference.

I believe he was referring to myocarditis in the pediatric group in general.
He said he wouldn’t vaccinate kids under 2 though (which is not yet applicable though anyway).

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 3:19 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
here we go again

It’s ok, you don’t have to open Covid/vaccine threads if you’re done with the topic. Being on the fence myself about this issue I appreciated hearing his perspective and figured I’ll share it as I know many (myself included) are concerned about this.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 3:28 pm
Sunny Days wrote:
It’s ok, you don’t have to open Covid/vaccine threads if you’re done with the topic. Being on the fence myself about this issue I appreciated hearing his perspective and figured I’ll share it as I know many (myself included) are concerned about this.

Sorry, I didn't mean you.
I opened your thread cuz I wanted to read a cardiologist opinion and I greatly appreciate you posting it. I think it's imp info
My comment was regarding those who seek every opportunity into making it a vax debate. They state the same things on each thread its getting stale...

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 3:43 pm
But even for people who might give the vaccine natural immumity does last for a while. It should be a minimum of 6 months for sure based on everything we do know, so why the rush? Why take it earlier if you don't need it until later?

If the vaccine lasts up to 6 months, then why rush if you are naturally immune for the same set of months?

The variant will change by then. The vaccine makers may update it by then.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics