Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
I Am a Jew Because ...

Motek

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 7:29 pm
here's a nice article by Jonathan Sacks:

http://kosherspirit.com/Articl.....le=83

(obviously, we are Jews because our mothers are/were Jewish or we converted according to Halacha, but that's not what he's getting at)

tzivi

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:50 am
Thanks for posting Motek, that article is really beautiful and inspirational.

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 3:59 pm
you're welcome Smile

here's a question for all of you:

What would you answer if someone, your child, a guest, whoever, asked you:

What's special about being Jewish when compared to a righteous gentile, someone who is decent, law-abiding, moral, honest, even let's say someone who keeps the 7 Noahide Laws because Hashem said to do so?

miriam

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 9:42 pm
I didn't read the article but I hope I can still answer your question. Wink

Because we have the Torah as our core, everything we do has G-dliness in it. When we do dishes (non spiritual things), we are doing it for a purpose. We are each building our own beis hamikdash and everything we do in our house adds to that.

The non Jew who is religious is spiritual. Hashem created us with a G-dly neshama. Everything in this world has a some sort of neshama but Hashem made us extra special.

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 2:15 pm
nice

anybody else?

marineparkimma

Post Sat, Nov 26 2005, 11:48 pm
dear motek... thank you for the link. it was inspirational... unfortunately, too many misdirected frum yidden perceive judaism as a hardship and full of obligations... did we bring this upon ourselves by raising the standard of living to such a high bar...?

jewgal84

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 12:02 am
Nice answer Miriam!

I would add on that Hashem, our creator, made the world in order for it to be a dwelling place for Him. We have the opportunity to be the one's to invite Hashem by doing what He's asked us to do, through torah and mitzos. We have the strengh of making physical things spiritual ie: a bracha.

For the non-Jewish world their daily life and conduct is for their own benefit ie: to visit someone who is sick is an act of kindness on their part, for us Jews, not only is it an act of kindness but it also is a mitzvah- a good deed, which helps us make the world a better place for Hashem to dwell in.

Every good deed/mitzvah adds up and it can be yours which will tip the scale towards our final redemption Very Happy !

Rivka

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 9:25 am
Jonathan Sacks?? The Cheif Rabbi of UK??

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 2:59 pm
Rivka wrote:
Jonathan Sacks?? The Cheif Rabbi of UK??

yes

Quote:
did we bring this upon ourselves by raising the standard of living to such a high bar...?

I don't think so. There's a thread called "Is it Easier or Harder to be Religious" (in the Intell. section)

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....61797

jewgal - well put! Smile

Rivka

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 6:47 pm
Hmm well I don't agree with alot of stuff he says.
It is a nice little poem and that is about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational