Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Nickname for Alexander
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 12:32 pm
Ya, but were chassidish.... and I doubt with any of these nicknames he will b typical. I know alexander is a Jewish name, and I know the special story of how it became a Jewish name, but being that it's a very usual name amongst non-jews, most people aren't comfterble with it...
All the nick-names are not typical names for a frum chassidish boy.

chagru

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 4:02 pm
DallasIma wrote:
I have an Alexander, named after his deceased uncle, and everyone knows him as Alex, although when he was a kid sometimes people would call him Sender. (We used to joke that if a letter was marked Return to Sender, it should go to him.) I don't see anything the matter with the nickname Alex. By the way there is a beautiful story on how that name, which was originally Greek, became a Jewish name:
Thank you , so interesting , I always wondered how it became Jewish
https://www.chabad.org/library.....e.htm

chagru

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 4:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ya, but were chassidish.... and I doubt with any of these nicknames he will b typical. I know alexander is a Jewish name, and I know the special story of how it became a Jewish name, but being that it's a very usual name amongst non-jews, most people aren't comfterble with it...
sender is a very acceptable chasidish name

sequoia

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 4:19 pm
I know a few Alexanders who go by Alik, but that doesn’t help you.

ichbingreit

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 4:25 pm
My sons cheder rebbe in a super chassidish cheder is rebbe sender. He’s Alexander too. It is a very acceptable and common chassidish name

imaima

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 5:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's not true. Sender is typical. Maybe you have never met any but they are out there.

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 6:07 pm
Sender or sendi is very typical for chassidish boys named Alexander.

amother
Apple

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 6:08 pm
Xander or xandi

amother
Forsythia

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 6:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Chassidish mama here. My brothers have definitely had some Senders in their chasidish BP cheder. And I have a very chassidish (viznitz) Israeli relative that is called "Sendy".

amother
Foxglove

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 7:02 pm
Agree with previous posters. sender is the traditional nickname used in yeshivish and chassidish circles.
Historically it was preferred to using the name Alexander itself.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 7:06 pm
Sender is just thought of as a Yiddish name ime.
And I've known Alexander's from very frum families.
Neither is thought of as a non Jewish name, either way it's pretty obviously a family name so nobody thinks twice.

DallasIma

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 8:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My son is a Lubavitcher, and I don't ever remember anyone being uncomfortable with his name.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 8:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hey Imas,
Can someone help me?
im pregenant, and if its a boy we want to name him Alexander after my grandfather. I HATE the name!!!! but I want to name after my grandfather.

Any ideas for a cute nickname?
not alex or sasha or all the typical nick names. something cute for a reguler frum boy, who is carrying the name of a special grandfather.

Allie. I don’t think Alex is ugly.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 8:40 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Sender or sendi is very typical for chassidish boys named Alexander.

I hate those names

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 8:46 pm
Please don’t name your son a name you hate unless you feel ok with it. Realize that even with a nickname he will be called his real name on anything formal, documentation, etc. and you need to be comfortable. The only “frum” nicknames I know of are Alex or Sender/ Sendy. At least consider a second name if you will like it better

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 10:37 pm
I know a chassidish Zandy (pronounced ZAHN-dee) whose name is Alexander.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 10:40 pm
Allie sounds like a girl's name.... I wouldn't use it for a boy's nickname.
BTW nowadays I think of Sasha as a girl's name, too. I know at least a few girls with that name.

fbc

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 10:47 pm
My father's very chassidish rav has a son Alexander whom they call sendy/sender. Definitely goes in a chassidish background, no question!

pajamamama

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 6:02 am
Did he have a second name that you like better?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 7:35 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Allie sounds like a girl's name.... I wouldn't use it for a boy's nickname.
BTW nowadays I think of Sasha as a girl's name, too. I know at least a few girls with that name.

It is a girl's name too, even a chassidish one (Sarah Sasha?), unless you are Russian and then it's a boy's name too. But if you are not mixing in Russian circles and are trying to integrate into chassidishe welt, then Sasha is a bad idea. Then it is Sender.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names