Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dr gave my child wrong medication dose

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 8:21 am
So I have an 8 year old child with autism who dosent express pain. she also barley gets a fever when shes sick, So when she recently start acting a little different than usual I took her to the doctor and she had strep... they gave me a medication she never had before and a dose that was only 5ml. I didnt think much about it because I thought It was a stronger medication and she started feeling better. Yesterday was day 5 on medication and she started acting out and crying and sleeping a lot... she didnt have fever but her lips and gums are bright red and shes not acting herself. I went back to the doctor, who didnt even check her again, but was like "oh,ooops I gave her the wrong dose of medication, shes taking to little". .. he changed the dose and was on his way. I was to shocked to even ask anything. Besides starting to give more medication what should I do now? Is my child having lingering strep symptoms?? I wish she can say what's bothering her

oneofakind

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 8:28 am
Hugs.
Give the higher dose and find a competent doctor who cares

amother
Sage

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 8:57 am
If your child has asd, has behavioral changes with illnesses, and doesn’t mount healthy fevers and other typical sick symptoms you should really, really look into pandas.

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 9:18 am
Take her to another doctor. That's negligence!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:09 pm
Hugs! I would probably start looking for a new doctor if the doctor showed little/no remorse and didn’t give you the time of day.
I had something similar happen recently but at the pharmacy. They gave my son the wrong dose of a medicine for mental health. 5x his normal dose!!! BH it was a miracle I discovered the mistake before giving it to him. The results could really have been catastrophic in our case.
BH, hopefully in your case it won’t affect her long term recovery. Many people can actually recover from strep without antibiotics and the main purpose for antibiotics is to avoid complications such as rheumatic fever.

happy chick

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 3:33 pm
Everyone is human and anyone can make a mistake. The problem becomes when ppl don't take responsibility for their mistakes. If he was nice about it and apologized (or showed any type of remorse), that's one thing. But if he acted like an a$$ (pardon my french), time to shop for a new pediatrician. Easier said than done, but you need to do what's in your child's best interest. Or at least, call the office and speak to them honestly about what happened and how you feel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics