Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Colouring on walls
1  2  Next

newdaynewdawn

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 9:58 am
My son coloured on freshly painted walls with a marker.
Anyone know what I can buy to paint over/cover up only that section?
Im afraid if I wash it off the colour will spread.
Or if any of you know what I can use to clean it?
P.s. I cant buy the same paint again. I am wondering gif there is a filler or something like it.

Success10

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 10:01 am
My husband has suggested in the past that you bleed out the marker with turpentine. But I've never tried it or seen it done before. DO NOT try to paint over without removing the marker first, it will just show through the paint. Layer after layer. Do your best to remove it first.

newdaynewdawn

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 10:06 am
Success10 wrote:
My husband has suggested in the past that you bleed out the marker with turpentine. But I've never tried it or seen it done before. DO NOT try to paint over without removing the marker first, it will just show through the paint. Layer after layer. Do your best to remove it first.

I don't understand, what do I buy and how do I do it?

farmom

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 10:09 am
Magic eraser has worked for me getting pen/marker/crayon marks off the wall

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 10:15 am
Try using rubbing alcohol on the marker. That will help thin it out. Then use a Magic Eraser on it.

What I really want to know, is WHY ARE PARENTS LEAVING MARKERS WHERE KIDS CAN GET THEM?

I keep seeing these posts, where kids are using permanent markers, or using scissors on sheitels or siblings, or even playing with matches. Come on people, WHERE IS YOUR SEICHEL?

Newmami

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 10:20 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Try using rubbing alcohol on the marker. That will help thin it out. Then use a Magic Eraser on it.

What I really want to know, is WHY ARE PARENTS LEAVING MARKERS WHERE KIDS CAN GET THEM?

I keep seeing these posts, where kids are using permanent markers, or using scissors on sheitels or siblings, or even playing with matches. Come on people, WHERE IS YOUR SEICHEL?

Why are you so mean? Kids reach everywhere.
And Noone is perfect it's totally normal that markers where left behind in a drawer and the child found it.
No need to judge so harshly

4g01o

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:03 am
These things happen.

Try a magic sponge with a drop of water before anything else.

myname1

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 12:50 pm
Newmami wrote:
And Noone is perfect it's totally normal that markers where left behind in a drawer and the child found it.

I don't think she's trying to be mean. More like inexperienced with this particular type of child. I'm going to guess this was not a 1 year old. I have a 7 year old who once in a while will be in a silly/problematic/hungry/angry mood and feel like causing some sort of problem. I don't think he's colored on walls with markers, at least in the last 4 years or so B"H, but I can see it happening. And I'm sure you don't want the markers to be out of his reach. I have a dd5 on the other hand, who would not DREAM of doing such a thing, even since she was 2. I also have a 1.5 year old who uses markers at times because she wants to be just like her brothers and sisters, and sometimes that's just not a battle I feel like fighting. I try to make sure the coloring stays in places easy to clean- the floor, not the wall or couch! Oh, and she's been really good at climbing ladders since before she turned 1!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 3:47 pm
If it's not permanent marker, use Fantastik. Gently, a little at a time.

zaq

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 3:51 pm
Ditch your markers, peeps, and give the kids crayons. Nobody ever failed to get into the school of their choice because they used crayons in early childhood. Not that kids can't scribble on walls with crayon, but it's easier to remove. You scrape off the wax with a butter knife or edge of a credit card and use a magic sponge or baking soda on the rest. Plus, crayon doesn't get all over their hands and clothes.

newdaynewdawn

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 5:41 pm
farmom wrote:
Magic eraser has worked for me getting pen/marker/crayon marks off the wall
]
I tried the magic eraser but all it did was rub away the paint and the old coating (which was yellow) now shoe=ws a yellow patch...

newdaynewdawn

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 5:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If it's not permanent marker, use Fantastik. Gently, a little at a time.

its not permanent. which fantastik product do u suggest?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 5:46 pm
newdaynewdawn wrote:
its not permanent. which fantastik product do u suggest?

Classic Fantastik, no add ins. A little sprayed on a clean soft cloth, gently wipe, another clean cloth with spray, go at it again, etc.

newdaynewdawn

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 5:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

hi, I'm gonna take what you wrote as a joke!
lol do u seriously not know what kids can get their hands on??

cbg

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 5:52 pm
Kilz primer and then paint.
Why can’t you get the paint?

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 5:58 pm
Newmami wrote:

Child proofing your home is not rocket science. You can't be everywhere all the time to make sure your kids are safe, so you have to make sure their environment is safe.

Would you leave a loaded gun laying around? Would you let them stick paperclips in electrical outlets? What about running out the front door into the street? What if they can reach your prescription medications and "eat the candy"?

If you have a little monkey, keep the ladder put away. If they climb up on the counters, lock any cabinets that contain dangerous items like medicine or cleaning supplies.

Keeping markers and scissors in a designated craft box, in a place where only and adult can get to it, is just an extension of making your home a safer place.

I learned that I had to take the knobs off of the stove when I wasn't cooking, because DD liked to "pretend cook" on the real oven. I found out that I had to put the kitchen knives up higher, because I didn't realize she could reach the counter. I'm not perfect!

I could tell you some serious stories about the trouble my brother would get into. It would curl your hair.

All you have to do, is sit on the floor, and stay there until you are really bored. Now pretend you are 2 years old. Look around, and see what kind of "fun" you can get into - then stand up, be an adult, and put those things out of reach.

Little kids are like puppies. Anything that gets chewed on, peed on, or otherwise destroyed is never the child or puppy's fault. It's always the fault of the person in charge.

momandteacher

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:26 pm
zaq wrote:
Ditch your markers, peeps, and give the kids crayons. Nobody ever failed to get into the school of their choice because they used crayons in early childhood. Not that kids can't scribble on walls with crayon, but it's easier to remove. You scrape off the wax with a butter knife or edge of a credit card and use a magic sponge or baking soda on the rest. Plus, crayon doesn't get all over their hands and clothes.

The walls in my apartment are one giant crayon mural. really hard to get off, and would take forever with a magic sponge. I've been advised to rather give them washable markers, since they wash off easily. I've found that to be true on the floors, but I don't know about walls, since it hasn't happened (yet!).

momandteacher

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:34 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Child proofing your home is not rocket science. You can't be everywhere all the time to make sure your kids are safe, so you have to make sure their environment is safe.

Would you leave a loaded gun laying around? Would you let them stick paperclips in electrical outlets? What about running out the front door into the street? What if they can reach your prescription medications and "eat the candy"?

If you have a little monkey, keep the ladder put away. If they climb up on the counters, lock any cabinets that contain dangerous items like medicine or cleaning supplies.

Keeping markers and scissors in a designated craft box, in a place where only and adult can get to it, is just an extension of making your home a safer place.

I learned that I had to take the knobs off of the stove when I wasn't cooking, because DD liked to "pretend cook" on the real oven. I found out that I had to put the kitchen knives up higher, because I didn't realize she could reach the counter. I'm not perfect!

I could tell you some serious stories about the trouble my brother would get into. It would curl your hair.

All you have to do, is sit on the floor, and stay there until you are really bored. Now pretend you are 2 years old. Look around, and see what kind of "fun" you can get into - then stand up, be an adult, and put those things out of reach.

Little kids are like puppies. Anything that gets chewed on, peed on, or otherwise destroyed is never the child or puppy's fault. It's always the fault of the person in charge.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm feeling very defensive after reading this. My home is very child-proofed. And yet, there is a limit to how many things fit on top of the fridge (one of my favorite out-of-reach spots) and in my other high places. And eventually, many kids learn to climb up anywhere and reach anything! And as much supervision as we aim to provide, there are times we must turn around for a few minutes, or a child comes out in the wee hours and wreaks havoc before you realize they are up and about.
We definitely try our best, but kids can be impossible, endlessly resourceful, and creative in their mischief.
That last line? I disagree, except maybe because the person in charge should do a better job of training the child.
I just feel like you are oversimplifying things.

Alternative

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:36 pm
Some kind of primer and then paint.
Always, always save the name and number of your paint! If you have forgotten the exact shade, then maybe make that wall a similar shade or an accent color.

Plonis

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:52 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Well, that may be true if you only have one child at home. I can't really keep scissors out of reach of the 10 year old, but said 10yo is not always responsible about putting them away.

Paper clips, as you pointed out, can be dangerous if put in outlets. (I did it once as a child that was old enough to know better.) Do you hide away all paper clips?

I leave my soup simmering for several hours. I can't stay in the kitchen the entire time, but an enterprising toddler most certainly could climb on a chair and reach the stove.

At least puppies can be caged, toddlers can't!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics