Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Colouring on walls
Previous  1  2

Reality

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 3:05 am
I'm really not liking the comparisons of our rambunctious kids to monkeys and puppies.

OP, it happens to everyone. In the future, I'd only buy washable markers. They are the easiest to clean.

One of my kids when he was 5 years old drew the cutest picture on the wall in pen which is impossible to get off. And I knew I wasn't painting again any time soon. At first I was upset but it was such a cute picture I didn't have the heart to try to get rid of it. I moved the couch over to block it instead. And every time I'd clean-up and move the couch out seeing that picture made me smile!

cholentfan1

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 5:29 am
It's okay to try and keep the house as child proof as possible when dealing with 1 toddler. I can lock things away and put things in cupboards. But when you have a few kids it gets a lot harder. When my 4yo uses the bathroom and forgets to close the door behind him, and my toddler gets in there and has a great time at the sink and with the toilet brush. When my 7yo is busy coloring at the table and doing her 'craft' and the toddler again gets hold of some colors.
Also some kids are very creative. When my oldest 2 kids were much younger, even with everything locked up, they would come up with some alternatives-do you know how much water can be poured down the stairs? Do the mattresses also fit down said stairs? How about how many children fit into their wardrobe, except the wardrobe shelf isn't designed for children and cracks? Or how far do the lego people or books fly when sent out the window?

newdaynewdawn

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 6:23 am
cholentfan1 wrote:
It's okay to try and keep the house as child proof as possible when dealing with 1 toddler. I can lock things away and put things in cupboards. But when you have a few kids it gets a lot harder. When my 4yo uses the bathroom and forgets to close the door behind him, and my toddler gets in there and has a great time at the sink and with the toilet brush. When my 7yo is busy coloring at the table and doing her 'craft' and the toddler again gets hold of some colors.
Also some kids are very creative. When my oldest 2 kids were much younger, even with everything locked up, they would come up with some alternatives-do you know how much water can be poured down the stairs? Do the mattresses also fit down said stairs? How about how many children fit into their wardrobe, except the wardrobe shelf isn't designed for children and cracks? Or how far do the lego people or books fly when sent out the window?

Haha! LOL LOL LOL
U made me laugh!
Same. same. same!

Alternative

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 6:38 am
cholentfan1 wrote:

I agree with you. It's pretty impossible to keep your eye on everyone when you have more than one little kid. When you have a bunch, it's even more impossible.
I am pretty shocked that people are shaming op for her kid coloring on the walls. These things happen.

However, it must be noted that some of your examples are dangerous, like squeezing a bunch of kids into a wardrobe with a shaky shelf (and maybe the whole wardrobe is shaky).

I totally understand that parents can't watch their kids 24/7. But it's another reason to keep in mind when deciding how many kids to have. If you have a baby year after year, it's going to be a lot harder to supervise them.

teachkids

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 6:43 am
zaq wrote:
Ditch your markers, peeps, and give the kids crayons. Nobody ever failed to get into the school of their choice because they used crayons in early childhood. Not that kids can't scribble on walls with crayon, but it's easier to remove. You scrape off the wax with a butter knife or edge of a credit card and use a magic sponge or baking soda on the rest. Plus, crayon doesn't get all over their hands and clothes.

I wish my daughter was happy to play with crayons. She doesn't like them because they're too hard to get good color out of (she'll use them at school thanks to peer pressure)

imasinger

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 6:45 am
Many cleaning products will get the marker faint enough for a paint retouch. Recommended favorites worth trying are baking soda and water, and/or toothpaste, and/or rubbing alcohol, followed by magic eraser.

It is wise for parents to only buy washable markers for kids to use for coloring, and to hide away a permanent marker. Kids too immature to use paper should be given those special markers that only work on the treated paper. Yes, they're expensive, but less so than parental time, cost, and stress in cleaning walls.

teachkids

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 6:54 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Child proofing your home is not rocket science. You can't be everywhere all the time to make sure your kids are safe, so you have to make sure their environment is safe.

Would you leave a loaded gun laying around? Would you let them stick paperclips in electrical outlets? What about running out the front door into the street? What if they can reach your prescription medications and "eat the candy"?

If you have a little monkey, keep the ladder put away. If they climb up on the counters, lock any cabinets that contain dangerous items like medicine or cleaning supplies.

Keeping markers and scissors in a designated craft box, in a place where only and adult can get to it, is just an extension of making your home a safer place.

I learned that I had to take the knobs off of the stove when I wasn't cooking, because DD liked to "pretend cook" on the real oven. I found out that I had to put the kitchen knives up higher, because I didn't realize she could reach the counter. I'm not perfect!

I could tell you some serious stories about the trouble my brother would get into. It would curl your hair.

All you have to do, is sit on the floor, and stay there until you are really bored. Now pretend you are 2 years old. Look around, and see what kind of "fun" you can get into - then stand up, be an adult, and put those things out of reach.

Little kids are like puppies. Anything that gets chewed on, peed on, or otherwise destroyed is never the child or puppy's fault. It's always the fault of the person in charge.

Markers are not the same category as guns. In the slightest. Should I also hide the stickers that my daughter had stuck to the floor necessitating scraping off? What about all the toys with a million pieces that are a pain to clean up? Parenting isn't hiding every barrier, it's teaching kids how to navigate them safely. my toddler has unrestricted access to her super safety scissors so she can learn how to use them safely- I just put away important papers, and if she finds one, we discuss why it's not a cutting paper and tape it back together

cholentfan1

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 8:05 am
Alternative wrote:

However, it must be noted that some of your examples are dangerous, like squeezing a bunch of kids into a wardrobe with a shaky shelf (and maybe the whole wardrobe is shaky).

I totally understand that parents can't watch their kids 24/7. But it's another reason to keep in mind when deciding how many kids to have. If you have a baby year after year, it's going to be a lot harder to supervise them.

My kids are spaced apart thanks. I have minimum 2 years between them. I agree with you about the wardrobe being dangerous and I will point out the shelf wasn't shaky until they climbed in it. But I cannot watch them 24/7. Most of their mischief is done at the before 7am point when I am still sleeping. Unless you have kids like mine, I don't think you can understand that complete child proofing is never going to be possible.

Alternative

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 8:26 am
cholentfan1 wrote:
My kids are spaced apart thanks. I have minimum 2 years between them. I agree with you about the wardrobe being dangerous and I will point out the shelf wasn't shaky until they climbed in it. But I cannot watch them 24/7. Most of their mischief is done at the before 7am point when I am still sleeping. Unless you have kids like mine, I don't think you can understand that complete child proofing is never going to be possible.

Oh, I agree with you completely. Complete child proofing is never possible. I never said otherwise.

Beingreal

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 8:35 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Try using rubbing alcohol on the marker. That will help thin it out. Then use a Magic Eraser on it.

What I really want to know, is WHY ARE PARENTS LEAVING MARKERS WHERE KIDS CAN GET THEM?

I keep seeing these posts, where kids are using permanent markers, or using scissors on sheitels or siblings, or even playing with matches. Come on people, WHERE IS YOUR SEICHEL?

Yeah this is harsh and mean. Your kids are perfect?

Blessing1

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 8:59 am
newdaynewdawn wrote:
its not permanent. which fantastik product do u suggest?

If it's washable marker, a bit of soft scrub should get it off. Scrub gently so the paint shouldn't scrub off as well. Even Mr clean might get it out.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

farmom

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:24 am
I think this is the imamother-est post ever.
Where an innocent query in household management turns into a judgement on parenting and then a reminder about how critical bc is

Sometimes you gotta just laugh

momandteacher

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:20 am
cholentfan1 wrote:

Thank you! Besides for smiling straight through your post, my thoughts are, "so my kids are normal? and I'm not the most irresponsible mom ever?"
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics