Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
New community forming in Eretz Yisroel!!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Another mom

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 8:09 am
Sounds nice. Just saying that it's a little off the beaten path. I know the area. Near Tekoa, backroad to Efrat. Not the center of town. But many people like that. Good Luck to them!
PS _ I wouldn't say it's near the kotel either.

benny

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:10 am
Wow. Just wow ppl. Talk about judgmental! I’m trying not to take offense at the insinuations made about Lakewod on this thread. Do you “open minded” ppl realize there are about 100,000 ppl in Lakewood? All walks of life? We actually seriously looked into moving to ey a couple years back. We were strongly advised by many, including our rav, that uprooting my family is a big risk and there isn’t an easy transition into a lifestyle in ey. Unless a group of ppl who are culturally similar to us, with similar values forms and we all go together. I’m not saying the logistics here in this ad would work for us. I’m just saying that I think the idea is a start for regular Chareidi yeshivish Americans like us to feel safe making such a bold move.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:22 am
I’m not bashing it. I’m sure it’s a wonderful community. It’s just not going to be what someone imagines when they see the flyer. I have seen campaigns that encourage aliyah. They often stretch the truth.
Anyone interested should do their due research to ascertain that it is compatible with their family and needs.

luvinlife

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:31 am
I live in RBS and would consider this community. I feel like I would feel at home with all these Lakewood people. Only thing I'm nervous about is living over the green line.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:44 am
benny wrote:
Wow. Just wow ppl. Talk about judgmental! I’m trying not to take offense at the insinuations made about Lakewod on this thread. Do you “open minded” ppl realize there are about 100,000 ppl in Lakewood? All walks of life? We actually seriously looked into moving to ey a couple years back. We were strongly advised by many, including our rav, that uprooting my family is a big risk and there isn’t an easy transition into a lifestyle in ey. Unless a group of ppl who are culturally similar to us, with similar values forms and we all go together. I’m not saying the logistics here in this ad would work for us. I’m just saying that I think the idea is a start for regular Chareidi yeshivish Americans like us to feel safe making such a bold move.

I haven't followed the whole thread but "chareidi yeshivish Americans" is a big tent. I know Lakewooders who are really old school and would much more easily integrate into Chareidi world in EY. Many American yeshivish people would have a harder time and need RBS, etc. Regardless, not all children are a "mold" and even the most chareidi-type Americans need to know their children, and if they miss the aliyah window. Or how to make it work regardless.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 10:24 am
LovesHashem wrote:
According to google maps its 35-50 minutes from Talpiot - still need to get to the rest of Jerusalem as well.

It’s less than that with no traffic - and a bit more than that to the center of town with no traffic.
During rush hour I would add another 30 minutes or so to the center of town. If the English speaking infrastructure is established in Maale Amos then Meitzad is only 15 minutes away (in an area with little traffic). I just want to point out that Maale Amos is only 20 minutes away from central Gush area with shopping, restaurants, etc and less than that from Efrat where you really can get your medical and dental care exclusively in English and enjoy shopping for American products and dine in American style-eating establishments.

etky

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 10:41 am
chanchy123 wrote:
It’s less than that with no traffic - and a bit more than that to the center of town with no traffic.
During rush hour I would add another 30 minutes or so to the center of town. If the English speaking infrastructure is established in Maale Amos then Meitzad is only 15 minutes away (in an area with little traffic). I just want to point out that Maale Amos is only 20 minutes away from central Gush area with shopping, restaurants, etc and less than that from Efrat where you really can get your medical and dental care exclusively in English and enjoy shopping for American products and dine in American style-eating establishments.

And there is a mall in Efrat scheduled to open in March that will provide additional shopping/dining options too.

gold2

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:43 am
I would be interested to know whether Rabbi Charlap is on board with this idea as to the best of my knowledge, they have a vetting process for who is allowed to come and live in the yishuv and they won't accept just anyone.

I would be surprised to hear that a whole new community would suddenly be allowed to join and possibly change the face of the yishuv but you never know...

Mermaidinexile

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:50 am
etky wrote:
And there is a mall in Efrat scheduled to open in March that will provide additional shopping/dining options too.

Which people who are looking to recreate Lakewood would never patronize. Cause, ya know, shopping in Efrat or the Gush might expose you to "influences".

Let's be honest here. Maaleh Amos is in no way will it ever be a "new Lakewood ". I'm also perplexed by the attempt to recreate the wheel as there are many, many yeshivish areas in Israel (sorry, "EY") that already exist.

Last edited by Mermaidinexile on Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:59 am
Mermaidinexile wrote:
Which people who are looking to recreate Lakewood would never patronize. Cause, ya know, shopping in Efrat or the Gush might expose you to "influences".

Let's be honest here. Maaleh Amos is a dusty village, or as Israelis say, a "chor" and in no way will it ever be a "new Lakewood ". I'm also perplexed by the attempt to recreate the wheel as there are many, many yeshivish areas in Israel (sorry, "EY") that already exist.
Wow, thats a bit harsh. Its a yieguv that has been around for 40 years. Its a small community but a community. It is not a dusty village. And for anyone that would think of making aliyah there, its perfect. Ig may not be your cup of coffee, but it will be for others.

Reality

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:01 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:

Let's be honest here. Maaleh Amos is a dusty village, or as Israelis say, a "chor" and in no way will it ever be a "new Lakewood ". I'm also perplexed by the attempt to recreate the wheel as there are many, many yeshivish areas in Israel (sorry, "EY") that already exist.

Do you even know people who live in Lakewood?

Of course they would shop at a mall or go out to eat in an area that was modern orthodox or DL.

Mermaidinexile

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:07 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Wow, thats a bit harsh. Its a yieguv that has been around for 40 years. Its a small community but a community. It is not a dusty village. And for anyone that would think of making aliyah there, its perfect. Ig may not be your cup of coffee, but it will be for others.

Fair enough. Edited to reflect your point. But yes, the Lakewooders I know would NOT be ok with shopping in MO establishments or with their kids hanging I or eating in MO restaurants.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:08 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:

I can see why you’d call it a “dusty village” but it does have so much potential and it could really boom given the right circumstances.
Tekoa was little more than a dusty village for decades, but then people from the Gush and Yerushalayim discovered that it’s really close to both places and has affordable housing and an extensive zoning (I think Maale Amos is slotted to become a city one day) and boom - you have a successful yishuv with thousands of families and skyrocketing real estate.
I’m not saying that this will necessarily happen, but it certainly can happen - it sounds like a great idea if it is pulled off.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 3:42 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:

Let's be honest here. Maaleh Amos is in no way will it ever be a "new Lakewood ". I'm also perplexed by the attempt to recreate the wheel as there are many, many yeshivish areas in Israel (sorry, "EY") that already exist.

Please tell me where are those many yeshivish areas. I would love to hear.
Jerusalem is crazy expensive for most people. Bnei Brak is bursting in it's seams and there is no more land to build on.
Modiin Elit was affordable once upon a time. Not anymore, no way.
Dati-leumi and charedi population is growing and there is a huge shortage of *affordable* housing for years and years.
I welcome any "dusty" yeshuv or "chor" or call it anything you like.

Reality

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 3:54 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:
Fair enough. Edited to reflect your point. But yes, the Lakewooders I know would NOT be ok with shopping in MO establishments or with their kids hanging I or eating in MO restaurants.

Then those are the few people you know.

People in many communities don't want their kids hanging out in any restaurant, no matter who the owner is or what neighborhood it is.

I cannot believe that nobody else is calling you out fot your uncalled for comments. Yeshivish people shop in all kinds of stores. They don't exclusively shop in stores owned by yeshivish people. They don't only eat in restaurants owned by black hat people. As long as it has a hashgacha they eat, they go there.

Mermaidinexile

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 3:58 pm
Reality wrote:
Then those are the few people you know.

People in many communities don't want their kids hanging out in any restaurant, no matter who the owner is or what neighborhood it is.

I cannot believe that nobody else is calling you out fot your uncalled for comments. Yeshivish people shop in all kinds of stores. They don't exclusively shop in stores owned by yeshivish people. They don't only eat in restaurants owned by black hat people. As long as it has a hashgacha they eat, they go there.

Oh really? And what about all those posts that don't trust the kashrus of people who partially cover their hair?? Have you spent time in Efrat?? Many of the women wear leggings just fyi. And partially if at all cover. So to tout it as a shopping and outing destination for a "new Lakewood " community is simply disingenuous. The more-than-few Lakewood people I know would (I repeat) NOT patronize a shopping area like that. Surprised no one is calling you out for the deliberate misrepresentation for a community.

Last edited by Mermaidinexile on Sun, Dec 19 2021, 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:06 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:
Oh really? And what about all those posts that don't trust the kashrus of people who partially cover their hair?? Have you spent time in Efrat?? Many of the women wear leggings just fyi. And partially if at all cover. So to tout it as a shopping and outing destination for a "new Lakewood " community is simply ingenuous. The more-than-few Lakewood people I know would (I repeat) NOT patronize a shopping area like that. Surprised no one is calling you out for the deliberate misrepresentation for a community.
Have YOU spent time in Efrat? Many many many women wear only skirts and cover a lot of their hair if not all. What a terrible way to generalize AND stereotype when it is not all the way true.

Reality

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:09 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:
Oh really? And what about all those posts that don't trust the kashrus of people who partially cover their hair?? Have you spent time in Efrat?? Many of the women wear leggings just fyi. And partially if at all cover. So to tout it as a shopping and outing destination for a "new Lakewood " community is simply ingenuous. The more-than-few Lakewood people I know would (I repeat) NOT patronize a shopping area like that. Surprised no one is calling you out for the deliberate misrepresentation for a community.

Because they shop anywhere. They go to the malls in NJ where you see a lot worse than a pair of leggings.

Because they go out to eat in many places outside of Lakewood that have mixed crowds. You think people who live in Lakewood never venture into modern orthodox neighborhoods? That's crazy!

Do you know how many women in Lakewood work in the modern orthodox communities near them? Do you think they never shop or pick up food to eat?

Last edited by Reality on Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mermaidinexile

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:09 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Have YOU spent time in Efrat? Many many many women wear only skirts and cover a lot of their hair if not all. What a terrible way to generalize AND stereotype when it is not all the way true.

Yes I have. It's a wonderful place. Take a breath. No one "terribly generalizing and stereotyping". But it's NOT the place that an average Lakewooder would hang out. Let's be real.

And I'm so super excited that people from lakewood are finally talking about moving to "eretz yisroel". And I wish them much success.

But a yishuv in the hills with Efrat as it's shopping destination probably isn't it.

Please don't take offense where non is intended.

cupcake123

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:12 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:

Sigh. Have you ever been to lakewood? Theres people here that partially cover there hair. Theses people here that wear leggings. Lakewood is a huge mix.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics