Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
New community forming in Eretz Yisroel!!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:13 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:
Yes I have. It's a wonderful place. Take a breath. No one "terribly generalizing and stereotyping". But it's NOT the place that an average Lakewooder would hang out. Let's be real.

And I'm so super excited that people from lakewood are finally talking about moving to "eretz yisroel". And I wish them much success.

But a yishuv in the hills with Efrat as it's shopping destination probably isn't it.

Please don't take offense where non is intended.
Where do you think the anglos that live there came from originally? There are a lot of olim there.

cupcake123

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:14 pm
I don't want to say where I live in lakewood bec this is not anonymous but it's a yeshivish area and guess what my next door neighbor does not cover her hair at all! Shes very well accepted in the neighborhood. On the other side of her lives one of the yeshivish elementary school principals. All types!

Reality

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:16 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Sigh. Have you ever been to lakewood? Theres people here that partially cover there hair. Theses people here that wear leggings. Lakewood is a huge mix.

Those aren't the people who mermaid is talking about.

I'm talking about old time super yeshivish Lakewood people. I know plenty of them who work in nearby modern orthodox towns. If there was good shopping the would most certainly go clothing shopping or buy things for their homes. If the restaurant has a hashgacha they trust they'd eat there.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:17 pm
Y'all know you can wear leggings under a skirt?

cupcake123

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:18 pm
Reality wrote:
Those aren't the people who mermaid is talking about.

I'm talking about old time super yeshivish Lakewood people. I know plenty of them who work in nearby modern orthodox towns. If there was good shopping the would most certainly go clothing shopping or buy things for their homes. If the restaurant has a hashgacha they trust they'd eat there.

Yes but the super yeshivish live amongst the not so super yeshivish. Lakewood is a huge place.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:20 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:
Fair enough. Edited to reflect your point. But yes, the Lakewooders I know would NOT be ok with shopping in MO establishments or with their kids hanging I or eating in MO restaurants.

First of all most restraunts (if not all) in Efrat are considered up to Chareidi standards.

Maybe people would not go there with men or older boys, but women and girls totally would.

Also anyone living in the Gush isn't that extreme chareidi unless they are in Beitar.

Mermaidinexile

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:20 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Where do you think the anglos that live there came from originally? There are a lot of olim there.

Def not from Lakewood

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:21 pm
Also the very very chareidi people don't eat out as a haskafa. They are against sitting and eating even in a pizza store as it's a place that's very hefker and people mingle.

Mermaidinexile

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:22 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
First of all most restraunts (if not all) in Efrat are considered up to Chareidi standards.

Maybe people would not go there with men or older boys, but women and girls totally would.

Also anyone living in the Gush isn't that extreme chareidi unless they are in Beitar.

? I'm responding to the sales pitch that Maaleh Amos would be a good place for a "new Lakewood " and they can shop in Efrat. Probably not. But hey, let's wait and see.

Mermaidinexile

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:23 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Also the very very chareidi people don't eat out as a haskafa. They are against sitting and eating even in a pizza store as it's a place that's very hefker and people mingle.

That's my point

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:23 pm
[quote="Mermaidinexile"]
LovesHashem wrote:

Also anyone living in the Gush isn't that extreme chareidi unless they are in Beitar.[/quote]

? I'm responding to the sales pitch that Maaleh Amos would be a good place for a "new Lakewood " and they can shop in Efrat. Probably not. But hey, let's wait and see.

They'll shop in Jerusalem, like the people in Beitar.

Reality

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:24 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

That's a very good point. In yeshivish culture the men and boys don't do much shopping no matter who owns the store. Unless it's a seforim store. Again, I'm talking about the very frum old Lakewood type.

The women and girls do plenty of shopping.

Yeshivish married couples do go out to eat together. They are not Israeli chareidi. They are American yeshivish.

Last edited by Reality on Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:25 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

This is just not true. The bus tha I take sometimes to the gush ends up in Maale Amos. Trust me when I say the people who live there are true true charedim.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:27 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
This is just not true. The bus tha I take sometimes to the gush ends up in Maale Amos. Trust me when I say the people who live there are true true charedim.

They are true chareidim. But somewhat out of the box if they moved to the gush area to a small yishuv.

That's not typical.

number

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:30 pm
Reality wrote:
Then those are the few people you know.

People in many communities don't want their kids hanging out in any restaurant, no matter who the owner is or what neighborhood it is.

I cannot believe that nobody else is calling you out fot your uncalled for comments. Yeshivish people shop in all kinds of stores. They don't exclusively shop in stores owned by yeshivish people. They don't only eat in restaurants owned by black hat people. As long as it has a hashgacha they eat, they go there.
Old style Lakewood yeshivish, the crowd that lived here back when there was no traffic, tend to be picky about where they shop. Many of them won’t go into malls. They’re very careful about the restaurants they frequent. All this is true.

number

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:31 pm
Reality wrote:
That's a very good point. In yeshivish culture the men and boys don't do much shopping no matter who owns the store. Unless it's a seforim store. Again, I'm talking about the very frum old Lakewood type.

The women and girls do plenty of shopping.

Yeshivish married couples do go out to eat together. They are not Israeli chareidi. They are American yeshivish.

Now we’re invoking American yeshivish again. No one actually knows who they’re trying to target.
Unless you mean very frum old Lakewood, because many of them (“very frum old Lakewood”) don’t shop the way you’re describing.

etky

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:43 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:
Yes I have. It's a wonderful place. Take a breath. No one "terribly generalizing and stereotyping". But it's NOT the place that an average Lakewooder would hang out. Let's be real.

And I'm so super excited that people from lakewood are finally talking about moving to "eretz yisroel". And I wish them much success.

But a yishuv in the hills with Efrat as it's shopping destination probably isn't it.

Please don't take offense where non is intended.

They can also continue on to Beitar for shopping. It's still closer than most locations in Jerusalem.

Reality

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:45 pm
number wrote:
Now we’re invoking American yeshivish again. No one actually knows who they’re trying to target.
Unless you mean very frum old Lakewood, because many of them (“very frum old Lakewood”) don’t shop the way you’re describing.

The women go to malls. And for special occasions married couples go out to eat. When they are seriously dating or engaged they go out to eat.

I have close family that is like this. I know how they live their lives. This isn't second hand info. I know how they dated and where the women work.

And isn't the point of this thread that people are trying to encourage American yeshivish people to make aliyah? The social rules of American yeshivish is not the same as Israeli chareidi.

Plenty of very yeshivish men do go to malls with their family. Non Jewish malls with full on pritzus. They just take their glasses off. Like I said I have family that does that.

number

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 5:14 pm
Reality wrote:
The women go to malls. And for special occasions married couples go out to eat. When they are seriously dating or engaged they go out to eat.

I have close family that is like this. I know how they live their lives. This isn't second hand info. I know how they dated and where the women work.

And isn't the point of this thread that people are trying to encourage American yeshivish people to make aliyah? The social rules of American yeshivish is not the same as Israeli chareidi.

Plenty of very yeshivish men do go to malls with their family. Non Jewish malls with full on pritzus. They just take their glasses off. Like I said I have family that does that.
I have a ton of family who are that type and I’ve had several neighbors who were that type as well. Most of them don’t go to malls. Some do but I’d say they’re the exception. And they overall tend to be very picky about the hechsherim they eat. I’ve been surprised at what they’ve considered to be an issue. Just a generalization, of course some people are going to do their own thing.

benny

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 7:05 pm
number wrote:
Old style Lakewood yeshivish, the crowd that lived here back when there was no traffic, tend to be picky about where they shop. Many of them won’t go into malls. They’re very careful about the restaurants they frequent. All this is true.

Ok and? Why are we assuming that because there are ppl in Lakewood who are extra stringent, that this idea is laughable for the whole Lakewood?
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics