Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Have you had success with adhd child improving sibling relat

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:38 pm
Dc age 12 has adhd and is on guanfacine and ritalin, which have both done wonders. Way less outbursts, better focusing etc.

Main presenting issue currently is that said child can be so mean to siblings. Constantly criticizing their weak points, to the point of bullying. Tried two therapists, but child not so cooperative in therapy. Tried motivational systems, but not really working (though for other things was effective).

Have you had success improving that factor? Either through therapy or another means?

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 2:26 am
not so helpful but my son grew out of it. From 8-11 was awful, now at 12 its much better. I think with time and maturity it may improve. we did work on it in therapy, but not directly, he went to a very skilled therapist who did less talk therapy and more art/ creating/ music therapy which did help I think.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 8:34 am
Yes. Treating brain inflammation. To his day, when the fighting ramps up, I know it’s time to break out the anti inflammatories. A motrin, Zyrtec and robitussin later and peace reigns again.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:28 am
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
Yes. Treating brain inflammation. To his day, when the fighting ramps up, I know it’s time to break out the anti inflammatories. A motrin, Zyrtec and robitussin later and peace reigns again.

Same. Also epsom salt baths. Also adding in sensory activities.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:49 am

Do you see a dr for this? How do you know what to use and how much?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 10:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you see a dr for this? How do you know what to use and how much?
We don’t see a dr for using these otc meds. I just give the recommended rx for their weight. Zyrtec is one a day. Motrin and robitussin I give as needed, up to twice a day. You can technically go higher, we don’t usually need to, but we also do other things for brain inflammation. This obviously isn’t a long term fix, but it works as a rescue med type thing, and underscores for me how many of my children’s behaviors are actually rooted in inflammation.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:02 am

I just cried to my sister how my preteen kids are absolutely KILLING each other today. Actually since my son came down with a virus 10 days ago. He's all better they are acting nuts.

Today I just lost it and cried with one kid after her sister hurt her VERY badly. And I just said I can't help you, as much as I tried giving you ideas you don't want to try it, nothing is good enough as a solution so you are killing each other.
I can't do this anymore.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:05 am
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
I just cried to my sister how my preteen kids are absolutely KILLING each other today. Actually since my son came down with a virus 10 days ago. He's all better they are acting nuts.

Today I just lost it and cried with one kid after her sister hurt her VERY badly. And I just said I can't help you, as much as I tried giving you ideas you don't want to try it, nothing is good enough as a solution so you are killing each other.
I can't do this anymore.
The week or 2 after an illness is always the worst in our house. That’s when igg antibodies are rising and in some populations end up attacking the brain. Anti inflammatories really really help.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:07 am
Please don’t dump a cocktail of meds into your child without consulting a medical professional. I can’t believe people buy into thing like brain inflammation and think the solution is to give them a cocktail of meds! What do you think meds all the time does to your kid’s body?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:15 am
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
Please don’t dump a cocktail of meds into your child without consulting a medical professional. I can’t believe people buy into thing like brain inflammation and think the solution is to give them a cocktail of meds! What do you think meds all the time does to your kid’s body?
My kids are not on a cocktail of meds all the time, just when they’re flaring. And at least these meds treat the actual issue, not just cover it up like psychoactive drugs. Plus, they don’t come with black box warnings. They are all otc because they have a good safety profile.

OPs child is already on a cocktail of meds, dr approved (zero judgment, OP, seriously. We all do what we need to do, with whatever information we have on hand. And you said it’s working for most areas, which is great). And it’s still not addressing everything.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:46 am
My kids are not on a cocktail of meds all the time, just when they’re flaring. And at least these meds treat the actual issue, not just cover it up like psychoactive drugs. Plus, they don’t come with black box warnings. They are all otc because they have a good safety profile.

OPs child is already on a cocktail of meds, dr approved (zero judgment, OP, seriously. We all do what we need to do, with whatever information we have on hand. And you said it’s working for most areas, which is great). And it’s still not addressing everything.

I don't feel bad about it because I see what a difference it has made for this child.

Can you elaborate on what the motrin vs robitussen vs zyrtec target? I know Motrin is anti-inflammatory, what do the others do?

Also, how soon do you see results? How long do you treat for?

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:50 am
Yes by focusing on sibling and teaching boundaries and upping self esteem so the bullying lost its potency.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't feel bad about it because I see what a difference it has made for this child.

Can you elaborate on what the motrin vs robitussen vs zyrtec target? I know Motrin is anti-inflammatory, what do the others do?

Also, how soon do you see results? How long do you treat for?
zyrtec also acts as an anti inflammatory, it’s a histamine and histamine is a big player in inflammatory and immune reactions. Robitussin is a cough suppressant, it works by blacking glutamate, an excitatory neurotransmitter. Excess glutamate has been shown to be involved in inflammatory brain conditions. I see results almost immediately with these 3. Like within a half hour. But everybody is different. I would say in a flare you can give these round the clock for 2 weeks. Because your kid is on psych meds maybe just check with the psych first, I think robitussin may be an issue with MAOI inhibitors. But maybe it’s the guafanecin... not sure but can’t hurt to double check.

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:38 pm
Bumping this up - anyone have any other ideas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)