Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teen wants to wax sideburns
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:37 am
My 15 yo teen is self conscious about her sideburns and wants to have them waxed. IMO there’s barely a/t there and I had to get really close to her to even see them. I explained to her once she starts it’s probably going to grow back more and she’s going to have to upkeep it. Should I let her do it?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:42 am
Better off electrolysis

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:45 am
Shes 15. Let her make her own decisions. Seriously?
Shes embarrassed. Let her take care of it.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:47 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Shes 15. Let her make her own decisions. Seriously?
Shes embarrassed. Let her take care of it.

As the girls mother, OP is allowed to and should explain to her daughter about the ramifications of her decision to wax, especially when the hair is barely visible.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:51 am
Shaving and/or waxing don't cause hair to grow back more, thicker, or darker. This is a myth. Especially waxing which will pull the hair from the root.
I'd say, if she wants to, why not? It's a fairly minor thing. She's clearly self conscious about it. Why fight her on it?

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:56 am
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
As the girls mother, OP is allowed to and should explain to her daughter about the ramifications of her decision to wax, especially when the hair is barely visible.

do tell the ramifications
its her body and shes embarrassed
I dont get these old fashioned posts where the daughters want to do something, and the mothers come here for advice.

my mother "let" me wax my arms and legs when I came to her and told her I was embarrassed. it wasnt a discussion. and no, hair does not grow back thicker

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:59 am
Dd did electrolysis on her upper lip and it is great

Rubies

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:01 pm
I'm curious if the difference between the waxed area and unwaxed rest of face, becomes very noticeable.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:08 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Shaving and/or waxing don't cause hair to grow back more, thicker, or darker. This is a myth. Especially waxing which will pull the hair from the root.
I'd say, if she wants to, why not? It's a fairly minor thing. She's clearly self conscious about it. Why fight her on it?

It's not a myth. I've shaved and waxed certain area's as a teen which should've been left alone, and I regret it.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:

What ramifications?

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:16 pm
It will also be prickly to the touch and get pimples and rash. You will get to the point that it will spread to the whole face and she will have to shave like a man

Rubies

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
It will also be prickly to the touch and get pimples and rash. You will get to the point that it will spread to the whole face and she will have to shave like a man

Surprised

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:18 pm

I know many people who waxed their sideburns and this never, ever happened.
However, electrolysis is permanent so that may be the way to go.

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:20 pm

While the former may be true, the rest is absolutely hogwash. (Speaking as a woman who started waxing her sideburns in her mid teens and into her 30s)

Also the acne and rash can be prevented and the hair eventually becomes less coarse etc from routine waxing.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:21 pm
Waxing can leave kind of a line of demarcation, because the peach fuzz also gets ripped out, and on me you were able to see the line where the peach fuzz started. I ended up doing electrolysis, and it is natural looking and only took out the little bit of darker hairs that I had, while leaving the rest of my face looking even. (I had very little, may be different if someone had a lot of dark hair)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:34 pm
First off all, DEFINITELY take care of it. I had side burns in my teens and it was quite a while before my mother let me do anything. It's humiliating and crushing to a teenagers self esteem. To this day I remember someone saying to me- you're growing a beard.

Having said that, electrolysis is *far* preferred for facial hair over waxing. Laser is second best but be careful with sun exposure.

Most definitely make her concerns over her appearance your priority.

Roots

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:42 pm
I remember as a teen I bleached. I used joleyn. I think they still sell it today
maybe it can b an option

boysrus

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 12:43 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

this is not a myth! It happened to me! Hair on the waxed area used to be extremely fine and barely noticeable. after waxing the first time, it is now thicker and very noticeable Sad

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 1:03 pm

This will happen if you shave sideburns

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 2:35 pm
I still use Jolene bleach on my sideburns - tell her to try that first. It really works.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children