Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Murder Mysteries Help Needed!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 6:10 am
OK, this is serious!

I have an elderly relative who enjoys Agatha Christie type books. Clean, nothing too complicated. Any suggestions for current authors she might enjoy? This is totally not my genre 😳

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 6:23 am
For very light English village mysteries, MC Beaton wrote two series - Angela Raisin and Hamish Macbeth. Both would work.

The No#1 Ladies Detective books by Alexander McCall.

Recent books by Richard Osman, starting with The Thursday Murder Club.

Heavier but very well done - Louise Penny's Armand Gamache series.

There's the Sidney Chambers series by James Runcie. The detective is an Anglican priest. Each book is composed of a few short stories.

You can always Google "cozy mysteries" for ideas.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 6:27 am
Ginger, you are amazing! Thanks so much Smile

amother
Green

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:38 am
There's a whole genre of books called 'cozy mysteries' which are usually very clean and cute.
I second the recommendation for MC Beaton but haven't read the others to know. Another author to look out for is Rhys Bowen.
Also Jenn McKinley is good. She has several series.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:45 am
Dorothy Polifax--haven't read personally but supposed to be similar to Miss Marple

Patricia Wentworth--I've read a few & enjoyed them. Like a more old fashioned Miss Marple

Kate Ross--regency cozy mystery. Read them years ago and highly recommend

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:49 am
I second Rhys Bowen. Also Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series, and Carola Dunn's Daisy Dalrymple books.

Thanks, Green, for introducing me to Jenn McKinlay.

Reality

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:52 am
Has your family member read every Agatha Christie mystery? She wrote a lot of books. Maybe try getting her some of her less famous books. None of these other mystery writers can compare or compete with Agatha Christie.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 12:03 pm
Reality wrote:
Has your family member read every Agatha Christie mystery? She wrote a lot of books. Maybe try getting her some of her less famous books. None of these other mystery writers can compare or compete with Agatha Christie.

She wrote about 6 novels aside from her mysteries. Sort of psychological, relationship ones. Very different from her mysteries. I read a few. They were ok. However, they are all out of print, so aren't easy to track down.
Her autobiography is fascinating, though. And still in print.

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 12:07 pm
I love Jonathan kellerman. Don’t know if that’s clean enough though. And it could be pretty graphic murders.

simcha2

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 12:13 pm
How about the early Ruth Rendell books?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 12:58 pm
Thank you all! This is massively helpful!

amother
Green

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:07 pm
Thinking of some further back classics...
What about Dorothy Sayers? Love Lord Peter Whimsey, and recently discovered there's TV adaptations of some of the books which I enjoyed.
Also Campion by Margery Allingham. Disclaimer I only ever watched the TV series of it, so not sure what the books are like-they're on my list to read one day.
And can't forget Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton.
Then there's also Ngaio Marsh with her detective Alleyn. I remember enjoying those books.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:08 pm
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
I love Jonathan kellerman. Don’t know if that’s clean enough though. And it could be pretty graphic murders.

Wouldn't recommend for someone looking for nice cosy murder mysteries. Much too graphic imo. Possibly his mother Faye Kellerman's Peter Decker series.

simcha2

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:13 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Wouldn't recommend for someone looking for nice cosy murder mysteries. Much too graphic imo. Possibly his mother Faye Kellerman's Peter Decker series.

I agree about the Faye Kellerman (she's his wife, BTW, they are members of the Los Angeles MO community. Their son, Jesse, also writes crime fiction - but I could never get into his books).

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:18 pm
Faye Kellerman books aren't cozy mysteries. The first several in her series are quite good & very well written but there are very specific parameters for cozy mysteries (I belong to a message board with a couple of posters who write cozies) and her books wouldn't fit (too much s*x). A true cozy isn't supposed to have more than a kiss, maybe a few hints to more than that at most.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:26 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

You mean you agree that Faye Kellerman doesn't write clean cozies? She definitely does not.

Reality

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:30 pm
amother [ Stoneblue ] wrote:
She wrote about 6 novels aside from her mysteries. Sort of psychological, relationship ones. Very different from her mysteries. I read a few. They were ok. However, they are all out of print, so aren't easy to track down.
Her autobiography is fascinating, though. And still in print.

I actually meant her less famous mysteries. She wrote more 60+ mysteries. Most people haven't read them all. And her mysteries are so good that they can be reread.

As an aside, I loved her novels and her autobiography as well. She was such a talented writer.

They are not out of print. You can order on Amazon or some can be found at your local library.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:32 pm
Faye Kellerman books aren't cozy mysteries. The first several in her series are quite good & very well written but there are very specific parameters for cozy mysteries (I belong to a message board with a couple of posters who write cozies) and her books wouldn't fit (too much s*x). A true cozy isn't supposed to have more than a kiss, maybe a few hints to more than that at most.

It's not just that. It's language and violence. But they do have strong plots. Someone who reads Agatha Christie might not enjoy certain cozies.

These may not be similar plot-wise for her but they are cleaner:
Jo Dereske
D. R. Meredith
Donna Andrews
G. M. Malliet (her inspector Tudor series)
Carolyn Hart (who wrote an homage to Christie)

If I remember more I'll come back.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:33 pm
Reality wrote:
I actually meant her less famous mysteries. She wrote more 60+ mysteries. Most people haven't read them all. And her mysteries are so good that they can be reread.

As an aside, I loved her novels and her autobiography as well. She was such a talented writer.

They are not out of print. You can order on Amazon or some can be found at your local library.

I've read all her mysteries:) Many of them multiple times.
I'd assume if op is turning here for help, her relative has, too, lol.
Maybe her Mary Westmacott novels have been reissued lately. I wouldn't know, I tracked them down around 20 years ago and bought secondhand.

Reality

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:59 pm
I've read all her mysteries:) Many of them multiple times.
I'd assume if op is turning here for help, her relative has, too, lol.
Maybe her Mary Westmacott novels have been reissued lately. I wouldn't know, I tracked them down around 20 years ago and bought secondhand.

Me too! I just thought maybe OP's relative hasn't read them all. I figured it was worth posting...

I took her Mary Westmacott books out of the library. One day I'll treat myself and buy them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room