Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Los Angeles posters, is this story true?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:15 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I don't think 90k in savings is rich. More like someone is responsibly putting away a few dollars in savings every month for the future.

I know that 90K isnt rich. But the fact that of all the places to pick for a story for someone to buy a billboard for 1000 a day... of course they pick LA. It's a stereotype. That bothers me.

(An individual was collecting here in LA once. And complained about the amount given. "But everyone is rich in LA so you can give more than that!" And went on. I was there and witnessed it. And heard from others that they heard similar sentiments from people collecting... People just assume we all are rich. Dont shame us for not having more.)

liveandlove.ima

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:24 am
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
I know that 90K isnt rich. But the fact that of all the places to pick for a story for someone to buy a billboard for 1000 a day... of course they pick LA. It's a stereotype. That bothers me.

and I'd think out of all places LA was chosen perhaps because it actually is a city of billboards....?!

in all fairness I want to point out once again the speaker did mention it is NOT CONFIRMED STORY, yet people share it and will leave this information out.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:30 am
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
I live here. Not true. If only it was.

And also, Amarante, the billboards here are gross. I live in the city, and there are a ton of ads for "The Se-x Lives of College Girls" everywhere. I don't know why you think they're not gross. Have you ever driven anywhere? Compare these to the five towns, where the billboards are about cell phones, versus all the hollywood industry stuff we see here.

That is a television show. It might not be your taste and I have no interest in the subject matter but it isn’t an ad for p”orn anymore than S’ex in the City was p.orn.

It is considered relatively mainstream and nothing Coke would be afraid of. Which was my point. If the show were ad sponsored soft drink companies would buy ads because the viewers would reflect their demographics.

I was dissecting the premise of the fable for a variety of reasons including it being ludicrous for Coke to pay $3 million for a billboard on La Brea or Pico. 😂😂🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:38 am
liveandlove.ima wrote:
and I'd think out of all places LA was chosen perhaps because it actually is a city of billboards....?!

in all fairness I want to point out once again the speaker did mention it is NOT CONFIRMED STORY, yet people share it and will leave this information out.

And the NY subways/metro dont have disgusting posters/advertisements??? I saw one with men in their underwear years ago when I was there. And not baggy underwear if you know what I mean. That's worse than 90% of the billboards I see here. Which are currently about electricity usage, covid vaccines, slip and fall attorneys, non offensive movies/shows/TV that have no foul language or obscene photos on the billboard, and the "Obecity- it's not what you eat but what you are being fed" slogan ones (I think that's how they spell it).

There are plenty of other cities with billboards too.

And honestlt, speakers should refrain from using stories without some proof it happened.

liveandlove.ima

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:39 am
And the NY subways/metro dont have disgusting posters/advertisements??? I saw one with men in their underwear years ago when I was there. And not baggy underwear if you know what I mean. That's worse than 90% of the billboards I see here. Which are currently about electricity usage, covid vaccines, slip and fall attorneys, non offensive movies/shows/TV that have no foul language or obscene photos on the billboard, and the "Obecity- it's not what you eat but what you are being fed" slogan ones (I think that's how they spell it).

There are plenty of other cities with billboards too.

oh of course there is, but find me one yeshiva in those places Can't Believe It

liveandlove.ima

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:41 am

And honestlt, speakers should refrain from using stories without some proof it happened.

I can bet he now will! also this story was not shared in public it was at a private chanuka party he was called to, just saying....

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 6:07 am
Back when we lived in L.A. we had to drive by a completely inappropriate huge billboard — basically pØrn — when driving our sons to school. On La Cienega Blvd. Huge billboard promoting some... actress? We could have used a billboard-buying gemach back then.

A big benefit to moving to Baltimore was the lack of these kinds of billboards.

The building in the link does not look like LA-style architecture.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:39 am
Photoshopped picture, story filled with typos and narishkeit.

singleagain

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:49 am
Not to mention It doesn't stand up to the logic test. Because if I had an ad on a billboard contracted for a certain number of months or weeks or whatever and the billboard company sold it to someone else... I'd be suing the billboard company for breach of contract.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:55 am
I grew up in LA and this makes me think of the old Angelyne billboards. Occasionally you can spot her pink Corvette (with Angelyne vanity plate) driving around LA, but she’s getting too old to be plastering her mostly-naked body around the city. She ran in the 2021 gubernatorial recall election, apparently 😆

I agree that some billboards in LA are much worse than you’d see elsewhere, but this story feels too off to be believable. The photo is also very fake looking.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 9:03 am

(An individual was collecting here in LA once. And complained about the amount given. "But everyone is rich in LA so you can give more than that!" And went on. I was there and witnessed it. And heard from others that they heard similar sentiments from people collecting... People just assume we all are rich. Dont shame us for not having more.)

we have that here to. They look at what you give make aface and ask to speak with my dh. Those ppl make me want to take back the dollar.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 9:31 am
I grew up in LA.
There definitely are choshuv gevirim who I can imagine paying to keep a billboard clean.
That being said, I don't recognize that building, and never heard this story.

The ads in LA are disgusting.
Like the bus stops in frum neighborhood have an ad of a guy in boxers, with the words, "you need to change your underwear."
And lots of kissing ads
And add for movies with two parents of same gender

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 9:34 am
Would be more credible of I could read what the street sign says...

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 10:04 am
Alas, you can easily find what photo this was photoshopped from.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 10:39 am
Not sure about that story,but we did find out after my dad died that he had a contract with a kiosk near his work (which was located near a yeshivah) that he would pay them the yearly profit they made on the magazines they used to display outside if he would stop displaying them.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 10:51 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Not sure about that story,but we did find out after my dad died that he had a contract with a kiosk near his work (which was located near a yeshivah) that he would pay them the yearly profit they made on the magazines they used to display outside if he would stop displaying them.
wow! So special

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 11:02 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I grew up in LA and this makes me think of the old Angelyne billboards. Occasionally you can spot her pink Corvette (with Angelyne vanity plate) driving around LA, but she’s getting too old to be plastering her mostly-naked body around the city. She ran in the 2021 gubernatorial recall election, apparently 😆...

Yes, it was an Angelyne billboard we drove past every day! B"H we escaped from L.A. over 20 years ago.

PractclyPerfect

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 11:02 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

Wow! That is incredible! (It was worth hearing the fake story in order to hear this verified one.)

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 11:52 am
I live in LA. All my family in NY were talking about the story, and none of us here heard about.

I wonder who made up this story.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 12:38 pm
Amarante wrote:
That is a television show. It might not be your taste and I have no interest in the subject matter but it isn’t an ad for p”orn anymore than S’ex in the City was p.orn.

It is considered relatively mainstream and nothing Coke would be afraid of. Which was my point. If the show were ad sponsored soft drink companies would buy ads because the viewers would reflect their demographics.

I was dissecting the premise of the fable for a variety of reasons including it being ludicrous for Coke to pay $3 million for a billboard on La Brea or Pico. 😂😂🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Well it bothers me. So sorry it doesn’t live up to your p0rn criteria. Does this one?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne......html
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational