Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teenagers with flu
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:21 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
He's taking tamiflu so can he get more symptoms with that ?

I think tamiflu just shortens the duration of the infection, but regardless you’re still contagious for quite a few days.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:43 pm
To the pregnant poster -
If you test and you’re positive, you can take tamiflu -
The sooner the better.
If you want to

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:54 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I'm pregnant so I'm freaking out about the flu.
I don't have fever but started coughing yesterday. No fever today either. Does flu come with fever, do I need to run to my doctor? Thanks

did u take the shot? maybe u should consider it. talk to your dr

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:56 pm
Amarante wrote:
The first verified Omicron death was a man who had recovered from COVID last year. He died a few days ago in Texas.

Most of the monoclonal therapies do not work with Omicron variant. There is only one that works and it is evidently out of stock in New York and many other places.

your scaring the living daylights out of me Surprised

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:57 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
This is 100% correct. And yes, previously healthy. It is horrific

do u hear this every year?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:59 pm
He dorms and didn't bring home his shabbos clothes. Didn't dream it's flu . Like I said he has a cold but was acting perfectly fine bh. So by Friday he will need to go back for shabbos.

my kids schools send home letters begging parents not to send until 24 hours have passed without fever. are they overdoing it or is it a necessary precaution?

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
do u hear this every year?

I give my kids the flu shot ever year bec there are deaths in healthy children from the flu every year. P There r’l have been in the frum community.
Even if the vaccine can’t prevent the flu (I know vaccinated ppl with the flu now) it is very likely to prevent death.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
my kids schools send home letters begging parents not to send until 24 hours have passed without fever. are they overdoing it or is it a necessary precaution?

My kids schools have had this rule since forever, even MY elementary school and high school growing up had this rule.

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Necessary

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
I give my kids the flu shot ever year bec there are deaths in healthy children from the flu every year. P There r’l have been in the frum community.
Even if the vaccine can’t prevent the flu (I know vaccinated ppl with the flu now) it is very likely to prevent death.

Just so you know, the flu shot is not meant to prevent the flu. It’s meant to minimize the symptoms.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 1:09 am
How are those who took this years flu shots faring?

gold21

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 1:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do a little digging into Omicron. It's really not particularly scary. Hype times 100. Check out some of the data from South Africa, where Omicron was initially identified. Stay away from fear p*rn (Omicronnnnn is coming BOO) I think you'll be just fine, IY,"H.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 2:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Required!
Super important. It’s a measure... t's very difficult to predict for how long children are contagious after an illness so in most cases if kid is feeling well and fever free for 24 hrs or so they can return to school.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 2:38 am
If you've had Corona in the past, even a milder case, there is often extensive, irreversible lung scarring. This will make it harder for you to recover from a cold or flu, or your next round of "mild Omicron Corona."

When doctors test people coming in with respiratory illnesses, they can easily see the difference between an influenza virus, a Coronavirus, pneumonia, rhinovirus, bronchitis, acute sinusitis, asthma, tuberculosis, and bacterial based infections. A cough is not just a cough, and a stuffy nose is not just annoying. Times are different now.

I seriously doubt that people are getting the wrong diagnosis, especially since the medical system is so hyper alert for anything new. At the very least they are testing to see if the patient should be getting antibiotics, antivirals, or both. Because many things can be happening in the body at the same time, it's important to know exactly what beasties you are dealing with.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 2:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You do this all the time - regardless of flu, covid, strep, or a stomache bug.

It's really unfair to go around when you are contagious with something. It's halachically questionable if you are allowed to go out knowing you are contagious. Is it muttar to cause 50 people to spend the next 4 days or 2 weeks in bed?

salt

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 3:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Try relaxing, and davening, and just be as careful as possible.
Do you have a special reason to be so petrified?

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 3:14 am
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:

DH took the flu shot. B"H hasn't had flu.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 4:21 am
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:

My parents religiously gave us all shots every year, until I was a teen then they kinda forgot.

I've been getting it since I got married since DH is makpid on it and works in healthcare. Never have gotten flu, I don't even know anyone personally who has ever told me they've gotten the flu.

To me it's this fictional thing, I know it exists but it doesn't seem like it, since I've never experienced anything first or even second hand.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 6:20 am
He dorms and didn't bring home his shabbos clothes. Didn't dream it's flu . Like I said he has a cold but was acting perfectly fine bh. So by Friday he will need to go back for shabbos.

You’re making this decision based on him not having Shabbos clothes?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 6:54 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
You’re making this decision based on him not having Shabbos clothes?

If he has the flu he shouldn't be going anywhere that he needs shabbos clothes for...
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children