Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 6:11 pm
I’m trying to move my baby from sleeping in my bed to a crib. I always said I wouldn’t let my baby cry it out but I’ve already given him a bottle. Once he woke up, I nursed him and put him back. First he was quiet but now he’s crying. He’s only calm if I’m holding him. He doesn’t take a paci. For those who DONT let their babies cry- what do you do??
For those who do let their babies cry- how long does it take for them to adjust??
I’m so sad for my baby 😭😭😭

SG18

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 6:21 pm
I don't let my baby cry alone. I stay next to her and pat her back until she falls asleep. Sometimes I sing to her. Whenever she cries, I go in and pat her back until she calms down. (or my husband)
White noise is very helpful.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 6:44 pm
I do generally do a cry it out method with my own kids but a more gradual way to do it would be based on the same idea - that however they learn to fall asleep at bedtime is how they can put themselves back to sleep when they wake in the middle of the night. So if you don’t want to feed or rock to sleep after bedtime, you can’t do it at bedtime either. You can do a version of the fade where you start by patting and each night move farther away from the crib. It works for some people, but would be really frustrating for me and my babies. Any gentle method is still going to involve tears because change = crying, but if it’s important to you to be there during it, maybe someone has a more specific method to tell you about.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 6:58 pm
Out of desperation I did let my baby cry. It took twenty minutes. Absolutely awful, but once Baby fell asleep, it was ok (no fussing all night). The next day, it took only a few minutes. After that, a new routine was in place. Perhaps it doesn't work for every baby, but allowing the baby to settle independently was the best thing we could do. The whole staying nearby/patting/slowly moving away routine was not useful at all for us. (We never co-slept, so it was a different kind of transition).

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 9:34 pm
You don't have to do cry it out if you don't feel comfortable with it! I used Sabrina from Baby Sleep Train www.babysleeptrain.com and she changed my life! We used a pretty gentle method. Give her a call and see if she can help.

lovecouches

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 11:17 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
I do generally do a cry it out method with my own kids but a more gradual way to do it would be based on the same idea - that however they learn to fall asleep at bedtime is how they can put themselves back to sleep when they wake in the middle of the night. So if you don’t want to feed or rock to sleep after bedtime, you can’t do it at bedtime either. You can do a version of the fade where you start by patting and each night move farther away from the crib. It works for some people, but would be really frustrating for me and my babies. Any gentle method is still going to involve tears because change = crying, but if it’s important to you to be there during it, maybe someone has a more specific method to tell you about.

My dc was rocked to sleep at bedtime and never needed to be rocked to sleep In the middle of the night. Which is why it lasted so long to rock to sleep. I also never sleep trained but I don't really have any ideas cuz we are still struggling with it.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 11:51 pm
I never let my babies cry themselves to sleep. I think that's barbaric. It is a new societal "norm" that goes against every natural maternal instinct. I start off my making sure that my baby is very mellow (warm bath, gentle massage, clean pajamas and a bottle in a quiet dim room. Then I turn on the sound machine and gently lay him down. I have a yoga mat on the floor by the crib (so it's comfortable for me) and I sit down on the floor next to the crib and I rub his back with my hand through the slates of the crib. And I sing to him. He tosses and turns and sometimes kevtches a little but I just keep stroking him and rubbing his little feet and singing until he falls asleep. If he is u comfortable and starts crying then something is wrong and I take him out of the crib. Let him play for 10-15 minutes and then try again. Eventually he will fall asleep without tears. In the beginning it takes longer but then it gets better and easier and he hardly ever needs to come out for a "reset". I have done this method with all of my children and they all learmed to sleep beautifully. This whole concept that if you soothe them to sleep they will never learn to fall asleep on their own is total BS. You don't have to let your babies cry their eyes out for them to develop "healthy sleep habits"!!

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 12:27 am
My baby self settled from newborn bh, if they need rocking to sleep then they're obviously not ready to sleep yet or they got to the point of being too overtired in which case my babies fell asleep on the bottle/breast.

I wouldn't let my baby cry it out unless they are much older, like 1 year old and eating 3 meals a day etc, then I'd try controlled crying if he/she is waking up regularly.

We only had to do it with our first, we learnt after that and bh they were all more or less sleeping well on their own by a couple of months old.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics