Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
PSA texting y
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 8:36 am
Of course do whatever you want, but if you’re going to text the letter y for yes, just finish the word and if you’re going to text the letter y for why, put a question mark in the end. Thank you! Very Happy

alef12

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 8:47 am
I feel like this is something my daughter's generation (She's 19) would do LOL
I'm 40. I type out words. With punctuation included.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 8:51 am
alef12 wrote:
I feel like this is something my daughter's generation (She's 19) would do LOL
I'm 40. I type out words. With punctuation included.
This. Im 42. My youngest sidter is 27. I dont write like this. My little sister does.
Its very generational.

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 8:53 am
Also ye for yes. Drives me crazy. Just add the darn s

amother
Fern

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 9:04 am
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:

You mean “ya” Rolling Eyes

s1

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 9:42 am
Or k instead of ok. What do people do with all the spare time they save from not writing the ‘o’ ?

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 9:43 am
I find a lot of men write TY for thank you.
That annoys me... doesn't feel the least bit appreciative!

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 9:49 am
I’m not even talking about being a generation thing or abbreviating words, more of an understanding thing. I’ve had people respond with a y and thought they were asking why. Same thing happened with my daughter and she’s in her early 20’s. The funny thing is, the one who texted her y was someone in their 50’s Laugh

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 9:51 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I find a lot of men write TY for thank you.
That annoys me... doesn't feel the least bit appreciative!

I have a lot of women who do this too. I have ty on auto. If I type in ty, it automatically comes as Thank you!!.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 9:54 am
s1 wrote:
Or k instead of ok. What do people do with all the spare time they save from not writing the ‘o’ ?

Kk is what gets me. It's the same amount of letters as ok!! How did this become a thing?

North Star

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 10:05 am
I would say, people say “k” not to save time, but because they want to say k. K comes off more, hmm, chilled? I guess? Then ok. And kk is even more chilled. It’s not a time saving thing, just like talking in real life people say k. And ya or ye give a different feel than “yes.” They can write “yeah” as well, it would look better I think.

Texting y for yes is odd. And y for why looks lazy to me. Ty isn’t as nice as thank you. All in my opinion, of course.

singleagain

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 10:06 am
I think a lot of these come from T9 where it was more annoying to type out full words and such.

It was easier to hit the five button twice for KK then to hit the six button three times for O and then five button twice for K

esuss

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 10:07 am
And for sure write all words out when filling out a form in doctor’a office.
So many patients of that generation use text spelling in written forms. 😀

watergirl

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 10:11 am
groovy1224 wrote:
Kk is what gets me. It's the same amount of letters as ok!! How did this become a thing?

Kk is actually from online gaming and for some reason transferred to text speak.

watergirl

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 10:18 am
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:

It seems to be chassidish text speak. That is who I see using “ye” here and on fb and in other online spaces.

singleagain

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 10:21 am
Truth is the internet/social media has evolved a whole new language. There are studies based on this

bsy

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 11:40 am
yo'ma wrote:
I have a lot of women who do this too. I have ty on auto. If I type in ty, it automatically comes as Thank you!!.

This! I have a bunch of programmed shortcuts so I type less but it comes out with proper spelling.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 12:03 pm
Ty annoys me the most. If someone just took the time to help you the least you can do is type out the words thank you.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 12:18 pm
groovy1224 wrote:

Same! It sounds like your frustrated when writing kk

synthy

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 12:26 pm
I'll write k, kk, ye or ya - cuz that's the way I talk irl. See what I've done here ? 🙃Writing full sentences, correctly punctuated and all makes it seem like I'm writing. When I text I don't want it to sound like I'm writing. I want my texts to sound like I'm talking. And I'll liberally pepper my texts with emojis, in lieu of the body language the texts can't convey.
Signed, a Gen Z'er
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media