Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
PSA texting y
Previous  1  2

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 12:36 pm
I don't think it's a generational thing at all. I'm in my low 20s and always text with proper grammar and punctuation. I find "texting language" to be really disrespectful and to impart the message of "I don't have time to spell words correctly for you."

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 12:38 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Kk is what gets me. It's the same amount of letters as ok!! How did this become a thing?

This drives me crazy. It's patronizing. Like ok, ok, fine.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I find a lot of men write TY for thank you.
That annoys me... doesn't feel the least bit appreciative!

I'm a woman..you can ask my gyn to verify..and I text TY. Or TYVM. Why the hostility? It's not a response to a wedding gift, for which I send a proper notecard in the mail, or for a lead for a job, for which I send an appropriately grateful email. If I'm texting, it's most likely to close family, and short for something like "Thank you for letting me know your ETA." If a work-related email, it's short for "Thank you for sending me your time records as asked." Hardly things for which one needs to be particularly effusive. And for the latter, in which a person is just following instructions, even TY is going above and beyond what's really necessary or expected.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 4:15 pm
Y'all older generation folk need to chill out a bit.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Y'all older generation folk need to chill out a bit.

Get off my lawn! Turn down that racket! Is that what you kids call music these days?

*shakes fist in anger*

LOL

Just spell yr words, m'kay?

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 12:42 pm
I’m 22 and usually text with full punctuation and spelling, I use the occasional lyk or bit. Although I am a bit of a language pedant either way so that’s just me. To be fair most of my friend use all that text speak it doesn’t bother me unless I can’t understand what they’re saying, what does bother me is when people don’t use correct grammar in emails especially formal ones at work or such. What really bugs me is when frum (or secular but is a lot more common in frum ) publications will print something misspelled or incorrect grammar.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 5:49 pm
Said imamother users who always write DH or ISO or TIA.
Nothing wrong with abbreviations IMHO and I’m nearing my 40’s. SMH

shanie5

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 10:28 pm
s1 wrote:
Or k instead of ok. What do people do with all the spare time they save from not writing the ‘o’ ?

I type k when I really don't have time or fingers to type OK. If I am up to my elbows in challah dough or in middle of cooking with not so clean fingers, but need to respond to a text, k or kk is faster and easier and gets the phone that little bit less dirty to clean later.

Overall I do prefer usinf full words.

amother
Brass

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 11:20 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Of course do whatever you want, but if you’re going to text the letter y for yes, just finish the word and if you’re going to text the letter y for why, put a question mark in the end. Thank you! Very Happy

Kk TY y do u care? Very Happy

amother
Mocha

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 11:22 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Same! It sounds like your frustrated when writing kk

I agree.
it comes across to me as "K!! K!!!" like I get it!! I've got it!! enough!!

chanatron1000

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 11:22 pm
Abbreviating is actually an old thing from the Morse code days, when writing every word was actually really difficult. Nowadays it's much easier.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 6:14 am
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
Kk TY y do u care? Very Happy

You used the letter y “properly”. You put it into a sentence and put a question mark in the end. I was referring to when someone asks a question and the response is just y.

Change of topic, but when someone asks a question and gives more than one choice, the answer shouldn’t be yes or no. Which one is it???? Banging head

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:24 am
LOL I do it, y for yes, but drives my kids crazy, they keep thinking I mean why.

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:30 am
alef12 wrote:
I feel like this is something my daughter's generation (She's 19) would do LOL
I'm 40. I type out words. With punctuation included.

My 50 something yo male colleague does this. Takes me a second to process that y means yes and he’s not asking me why😂

It’s not usual texting lingo ime.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 10:19 am
amber, I find plenty of egregious errors in secular publications as well, although the errors in supposedly "good" frum lit, iow from respected publishers, not Mendy's Fly-by-Night Cheapie Kiddie Books Written by his Mother , far outweigh those is supposedly "good" secular lit. I freely admit to reading genre fiction of no particular educational value, but also what passes for "real" literature, and the errors are not to be believed. More in cheap genre fiction, but in better lit as well. If I read one more passage about someone "discretely" passing a note, or upholstery perfectly "complimenting" the wallpaper, I'll scream.

I honestly don't understand not understanding that Y is for yes. N is for no. Every questionnaire on the books indicates "Y/N." It's the "Y-is-for-why" that's the odd man out.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 10:21 am
yo'ma wrote:

Change of topic, but when someone asks a question and gives more than one choice, the answer shouldn’t be yes or no. Which one is it???? Banging head

Sometimes the answer IS "yes."
"Do you want lokshen kugel or potato kugel?" "Yes."

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 6:12 am
zaq wrote:
Sometimes the answer IS "yes."
"Do you want lokshen kugel or potato kugel?" "Yes."

Ha, ha!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media