Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
All purpose floor cleaner (hardwood and tile)

chocolatecake

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 10:19 am
My bathroom and kitchen is ceramic tile and the rest of my main floor is hardwood. Is there a multipurpose floor cleaner that works well on both wood and tile?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 10:34 am
There could be, don't know. I have same. Currently I'm using my steam mop on my kitchen and bathroom floors. (before I had the steam mop, I was using an O-Cedar mop, and I put Mrs. Meyer's all purpose cleaner into the water.) And on my dining room floor, I use method hardwood floor cleaner, the almond-scented one.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 10:46 am
No.

They require complete different cleaning methods.

Tile can be washed with hot water or cleaned with a steam mop. You can use strong detergents on it and scrub if necessary. People get tile floors for kitchens and bathrooms because people often want to scrub them because of the kind of dirt.

Caring for hardwood floors is completely different as you will ruin the finish with water and the wrong cleaner. Grit is death to hardwood so you need to be on top of vaccuming regularly and with the right attachment which is different than the one you use for rugs or carpet. Then you use a cleaner specifically meant for hardwood - Bona is a good one and you use small amounts on a microfiber mop - actually you spray the mop and not the floor. If there is a spot where something has dropped then you might do a bit of spot cleaning.

epic

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 3:18 pm
I have the same .. parquet floors in all my rooms and tiles in kitchen and bathroom.
I use Mr clean or lysol for the kitchen and bathroom and then my parquet floors get washed with Murphy which is am all purpose wood cleaner.

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 3:21 pm
FWIW Murphys is not recommended for wood finishes.

This was told to me by my floor installer, my designer and the cabinet maker. 🤷‍♀️

epic

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 3:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
FWIW Murphys is not recommended for wood finishes.

This was told to me by my floor installer, my designer and the cabinet maker. 🤷‍♀️

Are you for real? I'm using Murphys for such a long time. It says so on the bottle that it's great for hardwood floors. Why isn't it recommended? And what is it yes recommended for if not for wood finish?

cupcake123

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 3:26 pm
First I wash my hardwood with warm water only then when I'm done the wood and upto the tiles I add some pinesol into the water and use that for the tiles...

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 3:39 pm
[quote="epic"]Are you for real? I'm using Murphys for such a long time. It says so on the bottle that it's great for hardwood floors. Why isn't it recommended? And what is it yes recommended for if not for wood finish?[/

Just because a manufacturer says it doesn’t mean it is the best option. I used to think it was good but I was advised differently. I use Bona with a microfiber mop which was what I was advised.

Water is not supposed to be used to clean wood.

Also Pledge is terrible for wood furniture as it spoils the finish and you can’t get it off. If you need to spray with something when you dust you should use Endust sparingly. This is again in the advice of my very knowledgeable designer who told me what to use for all of my stuff. I have a dining table with a glossy finish and every six months you told me to use a certain product to protect the shine.

mamalooshin

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:36 pm
OdoBan No Rinse Neutral pH Floor Cleaner, Concentrated Hardwood and Laminate Floor Cleaner, is absolutely wonderful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry