Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When a kid wakes up sick...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 11:15 am
If you were invited for a meal for Friday night and on Friday morning, the hostess calls you to tell you that her kid woke up with fever and coughing, would you go? The invitation still stands. She just called to be fair and let you know.
Assuming you have a few little kids of your own.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 11:16 am
No!

sarahmalka

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 11:22 am
No.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 11:25 am
I would not go.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 11:35 am
OK. I'm the hostess in the situation. Should I offer to send over the meal?
She just responded that she won't be coming because she has a little baby.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 11:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OK. I'm the hostess in the situation. Should I offer to send over the meal?
She just responded that she won't be coming because she has a little baby.

What exactly is the point of changing positions here?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 11:43 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
What exactly is the point of changing positions here?

I was just wondering how I would feel if I was the guest. If I would go if postions were reversed.

As it is, I am the hostess and I told her what's going on. I was hoping they might still come because we were looking forward to having them.

In any case. I'm just wondering now if I should offer to send her the meal. She probably didn't start cooking.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 11:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you were invited for a meal for Friday night and on Friday morning, the hostess calls you to tell you that her kid woke up with fever and coughing, would you go? The invitation still stands. She just called to be fair and let you know.

If it was just a cough I wouldn’t care, but I wouldn’t risk it with her kid having fever.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 11:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was just wondering how I would feel if I was the guest. If I would go if postions were reversed.

As it is, I am the hostess and I told her what's going on. I was hoping they might still come because we were looking forward to having them.

In any case. I'm just wondering now if I should offer to send her the meal. She probably didn't start cooking.

No harm in asking

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 11:53 am
As a host in this situation I offer to send food, since I prepared already.

As a guest, I appreciate the notice, but would not want to go, even pre-covid.

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 12:10 pm
Thank you for being responsible and respectful and letting your guests know that your child is sick.

In pre-covid days I would probably still have gone if it was something mild like a cold or something where the doctors consider it no longer contagious once the kid has 2 doses of antibiotics. I would definitely not go for something more contagious like a stomach bug or anything with fever. I would appreciate my hostess offering food but probably would not accept.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 12:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, You should send over the meal. That’s only mentchlich

Eemaof3

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 6:48 pm
Years ago we expected guests Shabbat lunch and my kids got quite sick overnight. I showed up at their door with a box full of food for them and explained what happened. Later I realized they probably had no way to warm anything but at least they had stuff to eat. I couldn't dream of letting them in a sick house.

sarahmalka

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 7:04 pm
It's was nice of you to ask OP. Refuah shlaima to your little one.

Simple1

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 7:17 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
Yes, You should send over the meal. That’s only mentchlich

It's a nice thing to do, but I don't think you have to. You have your hands full with a sick baby and packing and sending food is a whole different game than hosting someone. It's not your fault your baby got sick and you gave her a choice to come or not.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 8:45 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
It's was nice of you to ask OP. Refuah shlaima to your little one.

Thank you!
BH it was a short one and he was better by the evening. He didn't go to shul today but he had no fever and was back to himself.

Our guest declined my offer of food as she had plenty of time to cook. But hopefully we will reschedule soon.

amother
Jean

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 8:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are you joking? You don’t know the answer???? (Hint: it’s NO!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics