Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Chicken soup safety

jims1557

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 7:40 pm
If I make a big pot of chicken soup that cooks all day, and I shut the flame at night, is it okay to let it cool for 6 hours until my husband wakes up to put it in the fridge? I know you're not supposed to put a very hot pot into the fridge, but I also know that eating foods that were left out overnight isn't safe. So what to do?

sequoia

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 7:44 pm
Put it on the windowsill by an open window. Wait for it to cool. Put it in the fridge.

jims1557

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 7:50 pm
sequoia wrote:
Put it on the windowsill by an open window. Wait for it to cool. Put it in the fridge.

This is not really possible for me. It finishes cooking at 10. It's a big pot that takes around 4 hours to cool. I go to bed at 10.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 7:51 pm
Yes 6 hours for a big pot that was just cooked is fine.

ez-pass

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 7:58 pm
It's fine

Smile1234

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 8:04 pm
That’s why I started just making my soup on Friday and letting it cook all day. No hassle of cooling or putting away.

Another idea I once saw (probably here) is if you’re planning to freeze it then separate it into smaller containers right away as it will cool much quicker like that.

cbg

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 8:06 pm
I cook my bone broth for 24+ hrs
I time it so that it finishes cooking at 3 pm when I get home
This way it cools by 7-8 pm

You can put on a very low flame and cook longer
DH can shut off flame in the am and it will be cool enough before you leave in the am

Last edited by cbg on Sat, Dec 25 2021, 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

Good Friend

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 8:07 pm
My mother says (and so I do this as well) as long as the pot stays covered the whole time and doesn't get exposed to air from when it was cooking until it's put in the fridge it's fine to leave it overnight to cool.

Amarante

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 9:44 pm
Why take chances. Just put the soup into smaller containers and then place them in the refrigerator. Who wants a large pot in the refrigerator anyway?

Eselle13

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 9:48 pm
Yes, my mother does this. The soup is still very warm the next morning.

Mom/Bubby/Morah

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 9:50 pm
OP I do this all the time . Just before I turn it off I bring it to a rolling boil so that cool off time is a little longer. DH puts it in the fridge around 5:30 AM , but I’ve even left it out till 6:30. No one ever got sick. Doing this about 20 years.

goforit

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 10:14 pm
You can put the pot in the sink with the plug in with cool water. Cools down very fast.

etky

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 4:44 am
goforit wrote:
You can put the pot in the sink with the plug in with cool water. Cools down very fast.

That's what I do.
Sometimes after about half an hour I'll let the water drain and then refill the sink with fresh cold water to cool the pot down quicker.

anonimas

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 9:01 am
Sometimes if it’s cold outside, I’ll put a plastic wrap over the pot and leave it in the garage overnight.

happymom123

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 9:05 am
I took a food safety course once and they said that as long as the soup was brought to a rolling boil while covered, it can be left covered to cool overnight. You can not open it after turning off the flame because then you can introduce new bacteria but if it stays covered it's fine.

Java

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 9:26 am
goforit wrote:

I do this. works amazingly

Mom/Bubby/Morah

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 9:30 am
happymom123 wrote:
I took a food safety course once and they said that as long as the soup was brought to a rolling boil while covered, it can be left covered to cool overnight. You can not open it after turning off the flame because then you can introduce new bacteria but if it stays covered it's fine.

Good to know my method is a thing ! MIL
taught me how to do it .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics