Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Can I give ds 7 one homework reminder and then leave it

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:05 pm
Up to him?

He can decide whether he wants to face any consequences or not.

I hate reminding him until he actually does it.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:11 pm
Sure.

You can also try stimulating him to decide what time should be homework time and what should happen if he doesn't do his work at the appointed time.

Either way, really it's his responsibility to get the work done. You have been taking on responsibility that does not belong to you.

I can tell you, my mom did that in this and other ways and it drove her nuts, constantly.

ImmaBubby

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:16 pm
What might be even better is if you get him a timer, and while you can set it for 15-20 minutes, or whatever you feel is reasonable, you then walk away. When the timer goes off, it’s not YOU that is interrupting his more preferred task. It’s the timer. You’d rather he be annoyed at it, than you.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:28 pm
If you're going to go this route, I would give the rebbe/morah a heads up so they can be sure to check it, give consequences, etc. As a teacher, if a kid suddenly stops doing hw because the parents want to teach responsibility, I appreciate knowing so I don't assume that something's up at home (upcoming simcha, new baby) and excuse the missed hws.

Eta, I teach third grade and at that age except for read out loud homework, I design it so it can be done alone. Other teachers expect parental help. So make sure that it's realistic that he can do it alone, and then if not give him opportunity to do it with you. If he doesn't/won't, let his rebbe/morah know and have them decide what kind of accountability and consequences they want to implement. (This is all assuming your son is on grade level and learning with the class.)

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:31 pm
Is he in 1st grade or 2nd grade
I think it makes a big difference

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:44 pm
I wouldn't. I sit with my younger kids at the table when they do their homework. I don't do it for them but I am there for them. I dont think at age 7 a child should have to sit and do their homework by themselves after they have been in school all day.

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:45 pm
I find that kids that age really need you to sit with them to do it. Can you have him do it when he comes home before he gets distracted with other things?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:49 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I wouldn't. I sit with my younger kids at the table when they do their homework. I don't do it for them but I am there for them. I dont think at age 7 a child should have to sit and do their homework by themselves after they have been in school all day.

I’m happy to sit with him but he doesn’t want to sit down and do it.

He’s in second grade

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:50 pm
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
I find that kids that age really need you to sit with them to do it. Can you have him do it when he comes home before he gets distracted with other things?

He has no interest especially then. He wants to veg out

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He has no interest especially then. He wants to veg out

It sucks that he has to do homework at all.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:58 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
It sucks that he has to do homework at all.

Agree!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:08 pm
it might work but it might not. I think I've heard it said that moms get three things - that might be one of them and it might not.

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:20 pm
Why don't you sit down with him on Sunday or some other neutral time and ask him how he wants you to remind him to do HW? Explain that it's his responsibility and you're there to help me, ask how he feels you'd be most helpful and give some ideas. Maybe you can set an alarm, maybe you can remind him 2 times a day, maybe he can do it straight after supper, etc. Brainstorm with him over ice cream and stick with it.

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 8:03 pm
7 year olds are still young enough to not understand the consequence of not doing homework. Plus so much of that homework requires parental help- kriyah, translation from Chumash, reading English... stuff that they need your help with AND if they dont learn how to do this work it can hamper the rest of their educational lives. How can a kid not know how to read fluently? Imagine the next year or two- will he struggle?
Try to give him some boundaries- no toys etc before homework.
Have you tried an incentive system?
Maybe the kid does need veg time. Then give him a timer and a consequence if he doesnt follow through and do homework after it.
If you decide to go that route, please tell the teacher and come up with a system that the teacher agrees with.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 8:25 pm
I don't make my kids do their homework. Ever. If they don't do it, they will have consequences at school. It's not my job to be on top of them about it. I do make myself available to them if they need my help. I will happily sit and do algebra problems or edit research papers or test them on shorashim - whatever they need for as long as they need - but I will not be a policewoman for homework.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 8:26 pm
amother [ Clover ] wrote:
7 year olds are still young enough to not understand the consequence of not doing homework. Plus so much of that homework requires parental help- kriyah, translation from Chumash, reading English... stuff that they need your help with AND if they dont learn how to do this work it can hamper the rest of their educational lives. How can a kid not know how to read fluently? Imagine the next year or two- will he struggle?
Try to give him some boundaries- no toys etc before homework.
Have you tried an incentive system?
Maybe the kid does need veg time. Then give him a timer and a consequence if he doesnt follow through and do homework after it.
If you decide to go that route, please tell the teacher and come up with a system that the teacher agrees with.

B”H he is very advanced. Reads Hebrew and English fluently and beautifully. Translates perfectly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children