Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
BAILA do you like this name??
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 12:19 pm
I know many people with the name... some of the nicknames used are Baily or Bay (my personal favorite)

There are 2 different names being spoken about here.
One which seams like the name op is talking about is the Hebrew name BAILA... in Hebrew spelled בילא. Which is an acronym for the phrase ברוך ה לעולם אמן.

The second name being spoken about is Bella... which is a name in many different languages as well as Hebrew and is spelled בלה.

They are 2 different names and do not mean the same thing. Both are beautiful names and are very often used interchangeably.

boysrus

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:55 pm
miriamg wrote:
My friend Baila told me that is an acronym for ברוך ה' לעולם אמן. Thought that was beautiful and forever changed the way I view the name. Mazal tov and enjoy your beautiful daughter!

I came on here specially to post this! agreed!

ETA I see a few more people wrote the same thing lol

Last edited by boysrus on Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

boysrus

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:56 pm
Also, I think it I s nicer spelled Bayla, it seems more classy somehow Smile

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:57 pm
I think it’s adorable especially with the nickname Baylie.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 2:30 pm
It's a family name.
I have relatives named baila they are called Baillie, bailu, bailukuh.
And a friend baila...

I don't particularly go for the name. But neither do I love the name Rivkah. But I still named my child rivka because I wanted yu name after a particular grandmother. Somehow I love the name fire my child, don't readout care about other ppl named that. I'm happy with my decision. And I tell my child stories of the grandmother she handed after. She was a real tzedeikus and is proud of her name.

I love the name malka, Ruchel, dasa and Liba.

The name will grow on you. It's your kid, she will be baila to you. Noone else.

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:28 pm
imaima wrote:
I like the name and the meaning. It is one of those names that work well in both secular and Jewish world. You can put Bella in the birth certificate.

I wish you that your girly lives up to this name, both in her middos ans her looks!

oh my, I love the nickname Bella! you can also do Aila (like Baila but without the B)
or even Ella can work..
I would probably do Bella, it's gorgeous

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:38 pm
My daughter is baila, named after my grandmother which we all adored. We call her baily, and all my nieces with the name baila are called baily as well. All the bailys in our family have that extra special charm to them.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:46 pm
My grandmother was Bayla, spelt in Hebrew ביילא with the two yuds representative of H's name. She didn't use her Hebrew name though.

She was the most beautiful lady, always looked good and liked by everyone who knew her .

named after her, and use the nickname Bella.

To me there are only positive associations with the name .....

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 9:03 pm
There was a boy's name I never particularly liked. It ended up being a family name of a special person who was niftar. I suggested it to DH as a name for DS and we agreed on it.
DS is 7 years old and I often think about how much I've grown to love the name. It's perfect for him.
I hope the same happens for you.

fbc

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 9:09 pm
I have a niece Baila and she's called bella. I'm not personally a fan of Baila, but bella is an adorable nickname!!

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 9:10 pm
I have a daughter baila named after a relative. I also felt nervous about the name but I really love it now and she’s a teenager . I also loved it when she was a baby. It’s a great name! Mazal Tov!

Myrna

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 9:12 pm
Mazal Tov!!
My daughter's name is Baila Tova- After my husband's mother. We added the Tova bc she sadly passed very young, but I loved the name on its own! It's old world but very popular these days
too.. Smile There are always a few Baila's in my daughters grade and she herself likes her name.

Persevere

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 9:40 pm
I actually love the name. Wouldn't do a nickname, I love it as is.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 9:52 pm
farmom wrote:
My daughter is Baila and I love it. It comes from the Italian Bella, meaning beautiful.

It's Aramaic.

Some people say it stands for
בילא - ברוך ד' לעולם אמן
Eta - someone already posted this!

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 12:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby was named this past shabbos Baila (after my husbands grandmother) but now I'm having second thoughts about it. Mad
I think I was overtaken by harmones/emotions (typical post partum mood) and I feel like I didnt make a wise decision. Sad

It's said that a mother is given ruach hakodesh when naming a baby. That doesn't mean we go up to the Torah with no plan and the name just comes to us. But sometimes it can mean a last minute decision or being "overtaken by hormones/emotions", and that was Hashem's way of sending you your daughter's name. One of my daughters has a very long double name that I promised for years I would never name, and we would use just one part of it. In the hospital, while discussing it with my husband, I very calmly told him (not my nature!) that based on his various feelings about the name and his grandmother, he should name the whole thing. When another sister in law expressed her surprise, I told her I was equally surprised myself! I don't think that you should look at it as not a wise decision.
Enjoy your beautiful daughter and her beautiful name!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 1:33 am
Oh my goodness. I’m so silly. I just realized that my sister is Chaya Bina Bayla. I completely forgot. Duh!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 4:12 am
I love Bella.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 5:18 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
It's said that a mother is given ruach hakodesh when naming a baby. That doesn't mean we go up to the Torah with no plan and the name just comes to us. But sometimes it can mean a last minute decision or being "overtaken by hormones/emotions", and that was Hashem's way of sending you your daughter's name. One of my daughters has a very long double name that I promised for years I would never name, and we would use just one part of it. In the hospital, while discussing it with my husband, I very calmly told him (not my nature!) that based on his various feelings about the name and his grandmother, he should name the whole thing. When another sister in law expressed her surprise, I told her I was equally surprised myself! I don't think that you should look at it as not a wise decision.
Enjoy your beautiful daughter and her beautiful name!

Thanks so much for the support. I guess I'm not the only one that made a last minute decision...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:36 pm
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
I love the name! I was hoping to give that name but my younger kids are all boys. Every Baila I’ve known has been warm, kind, and smart. Mazel tov on your beautiful Baila! Lots of nachas!

Umein Thank you so much! Smile

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 11:55 pm
What name goes well with baila ? Want to add a name. Something meaningful.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names