Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Less enrollment/classes in Ashk/Litvish schools in Flatbush
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 11:54 am
Many young Ashkenazi/Litvish families are leaving Flatbush.

The shrinking Ashkenazi/Litvish population is resulting in less enrollment in Ashkenazi/Litvish schools in Flatbush and causing some schools not to open preschool classes, or to have way less preschool classes in Ashkenazi/Litvish schools.

What do you foresee for the future of Flatbush, 20 years down the line, we should all be healthy iyH?

Who is buying houses in Flatbush now?

Will the exodus of Ashkenazi/Litvish families from Flatbush increase or decrease over time?

Are the prices people are getting for their homes less, because less Ashkenazi/Litvish people are looking?

What do you think will be the dominant population in Flatbush in 20 years?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 12:58 pm
bump

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:00 pm
Sefardim and chaim Berlin are still buying. Otherwise it does seem to be dwindling and I don’t think there will a litvish life ( outside of chaim Berlin ) there in 20 years.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:04 pm
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
Sefardim and chaim Berlin are still buying. Otherwise it does seem to be dwindling and I don’t think there will a litvish life ( outside of chaim Berlin ) there in 20 years.

Any chance Chaim Berlin will relocate to Lakewood, or have another location in Lakewood? Is anyone discussing that?

Can Chaim Berlin survive on the "Chaim Berlin families", while the student body that are not died in the wool "Chaim Berlin families" leave?

What about Mir? Torah Temima? Tora VDas?

It seems all Yeshivas' young families are trickling out in varying degrees.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any chance Chaim Berlin will relocate to Lakewood, or have another location in Lakewood? Is anyone discussing that?

Can Chaim Berlin survive on the "Chaim Berlin families", while the student body that are not died in the wool "Chaim Berlin families" leave?

What about Mir? Torah Temima? Tora VDas?

It seems all Yeshivas' young families are trickling out in varying degrees.

It doesn’t seem like they are going to relocate yet but perhaps they will have no choice soon.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:14 pm
Makes me wonder who will be the dominant population in Flatbush, being that Chassidim with large families, B"H, are outgrowing BP, and Sfardim have smaller families.

It would be really interesting to see if/when Chassidim start moving to Flatbush.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:16 pm
I think torah vdaas is trying to build up, or so I've heard. Mir still has a presence as well.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:21 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
I think torah vdaas is trying to build up, or so I've heard. Mir still has a presence as well.

Any chance theres discussion about Lakewood branches of either?

I think Mir has Sfardim who will keep it going, does Chaim Berlin have a similar percentage of Sfardi students?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:26 pm
Torah Temimah has a high school in Lakewood for years already.

I think chaim Berlin is still going strong in Brooklyn.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:28 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
I think chaim Berlin is still going strong in Brooklyn.

Can Chaim Berlin survive on died in the wool "Chaim Berlin families" that wouldnt move no matter what?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any chance theres discussion about Lakewood branches of either?

I think Mir has Sfardim who will keep it going, does Chaim Berlin have a similar percentage of Sfardi students?

They aren’t going to compete with themselves so they won’t open another branch while they are trying to survive in Brooklyn. They do have sefardim in the school.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Makes me wonder who will be the dominant population in Flatbush, being that Chassidim with large families, B"H, are outgrowing BP, and Sfardim have smaller families.

It would be really interesting to see if/when Chassidim start moving to Flatbush.

Not likely that Chassidim will start moving to Flatbush in large numbers. If they are relocating anyway they may as well go somewhere cheaper.

As far as predictions of what Brooklyn will look like in twenty years from now , you never know.

I remember arguing with people thirty years ago about whether it will be twenty years or forty years (from then) until there is no significant frum population in Brooklyn anymore. When my parents bought their house in Kensington forty five years ago they were certain that they would be living there for just ten years because afterwards the neighborhood will have deteriorated too much to stay. They are still living in that house today.

I also remember going to my grandparents for Shabbos in the Lower East Side in the 80s and looking at the large empty shuls and the fact that everyone seemed so old and being certain that in twenty years from then there would be no frum population there anymore either. There was even talk in the late 80s of MTJ moving to Flatbush or Monsey. Today MTJ is still there and probably about the same size or bigger than it was then

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:43 pm
Young families are leaving because of the outrageous prices of houses in Brooklyn.

Even though Lakewood also went up - it is still HALF the price of Brooklyn Houses.

Even Chassidim are moving out of Brooklyn.

I think Syrian Community has fund to help young families buy a home.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:56 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
I remember arguing with people thirty years ago about whether it will be twenty years or forty years (from then) until there is no significant frum population in Brooklyn anymore. When my parents bought their house in Kensington forty five years ago they were certain that they would be living there for just ten years because afterwards the neighborhood will have deteriorated too much to stay. They are still living in that house today.

Although I think lots of people arent happy w the influx of Muslim people and mosques.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 2:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Although I think lots of people arent happy w the influx of Muslim people and mosques.

On the whole they are a lot better than some of the groups who lived there forty five years ago. Back then there was every ethnic group imaginable living there. With one thing in common . They ALL had members who would start up with the Jews living there

nicole81

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 2:56 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Even though Lakewood also went up - it is still HALF the price of Brooklyn Houses.

Not true for much of Flatbush, marine park, and mill basin, unless you're looking for a townhouse.

Re the OP- enrollment in my youngest 2 kids' schools has stayed steady, but I've been surprised at how many sefardi last names are in their classes (including us lol) It looks like my son's nursery class this year is 40% sefardi.

In my experience, there are many non-sy sefardim who are staying but feel out of place in the frum sefardi schools, so they send to the ashky BYs and yeshivot.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 8:41 am
Ive been hearing that there are little or no houses available in Lakewood lately.

Wheres everyone that wants to leave Flatbush going to go?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ive been hearing that there are little or no houses available in Lakewood lately.

Wheres everyone that wants to leave Flatbush going to go?

Still Lakewood. There are houses with new neighborhoods popping up all the time. It’s just a little harder to find and it’s more expensive now.

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 8:50 am
Syrian are here to stay and will be populated in 20 years. Young couples in the Ateret SY’s are getting funding to purchase home to stay in local Flatbush area as we do not want to lose our population.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:16 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
Syrian are here to stay and will be populated in 20 years. Young couples in the Ateret SY’s are getting funding to purchase home to stay in local Flatbush area as we do not want to lose our population.

Roughly what kind of funding per family is being given, if houses are over a milllion?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries