Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Need help writing a note to new next door neighbors
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:42 pm
We moved into a quiet neighborhood and right next door is a non Jewish family with a bunch of little kids our own kids ages. We want to make a good impression. I got a platter of rugalech for them and tied it with a bow. I started writing “Hi! We are so excited to join your neighborhood!”
Now what should I write next ??

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:49 pm
Please feel free to reach out if you need anything

Name of you and DH. Last name.
Phone numbers.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:52 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
no... I feel like that would be more if the other family was new

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:53 pm
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:

Nope. It’s nice to give your number and name. Can look on google they all say it.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:53 pm

Name of you and DH. Last name.
Phone numbers.

If THEY need anything? OP is the one who just moved in,

Cheiny

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:54 pm
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:

“Hi, we wanted to introduce ourselves to you! We’re the Friedman’s and just moved in next door. Looking forward to getting acquainted soon.”

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:55 pm
Nope. It’s nice to give your number and name. Can look on google they all say it.

For sure that part is fine. I mean the 'feel free to reach out' part

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:55 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
If THEY need anything? OP is the one who just moved in,

yeah this

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:57 pm
Thank you!

TBW

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We moved into a quiet neighborhood and right next door is a non Jewish family with a bunch of little kids our own kids ages. We want to make a good impression. I got a platter of rugalech for them and tied it with a bow. I started writing “Hi! We are so excited to join your neighborhood!”

Why not sign your name and leave it at that? Short, sweet and to the point. No need to over-think it. More is not necessarily better.

Also, I would sign all your names, not just you and DH. Including the kid's names is little friendlier and lets them get to know a bit about your family (like how many of you there are Smile They might be wondering)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 9:06 pm
TBW wrote:
Why not sign your name and leave it at that? Short, sweet and to the point. No need to over-think it. More is not necessarily better.

Also, I would sign all your names, not just you and DH. Including the kid's names is little friendlier and lets them get to know a bit about your family (like how many of you there are Smile They might be wondering)

Good point! Will do!

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 9:46 pm
You could include the kid's ages - have the children actually do their own "signature"

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 11:08 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
“Hi, we wanted to introduce ourselves to you! We’re the Friedmans and just moved in next door. Looking forward to getting acquainted soon.”

Perfect!

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 11:30 pm
Just wondering about the sending food over, I'd worry that they'd want to reciprocate and come over with non kosher food which could make for an awkward situation..

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 11:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Context: I grew up playing with the nonjewish kids on our block, because we were on shlichus in the middle of nowhere.

Question: do you want your kids to play with these non Jewish neighbors? Are you trying to create a friendship here, do you even want play dates with them? Otherwise just be cordial and polite. "Hello from your new neighbors" without the kids signing names and ages.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 11:51 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
Just wondering about the sending food over, I'd worry that they'd want to reciprocate and come over with non kosher food which could make for an awkward situation..

They don’t have to know that I won’t end up eating it

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 11:54 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Context: I grew up playing with the nonjewish kids on our block, because we were on shlichus in the middle of nowhere.

Question: do you want your kids to play with these non Jewish neighbors? Are you trying to create a friendship here, do you even want play dates with them? Otherwise just be cordial and polite. "Hello from your new neighbors" without the kids signing names and ages.

No, I don’t want them playing with each other. Maybe here or there if they’re playing outside it’s fine. There is a chain link fence between the properties. I really want to put up a privacy fence but not sure how to go about it. I have to ask them for permission right? Don’t want to insult them 😬

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 12:01 am
Sending food over when you are the one who moved in isn't just an act of kindness as it would be if they were the ones moving in. It tells them you want to be more than just cordial neighbors. You are better off being friendly to them in the driveway, but forget the note and food.

If your kids are very little you may think it doesn't matter, but what if your kids become close and the neighbors kids freely surf the internet or would otherwise be bad influences?

Nip it in the bud now. Or rather, don't plant the seeds to begin with.

boysrus

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 12:04 am
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
Sending food over when you are the one who moved in isn't just an act of kindness as it would be if they were the ones moving in. It tells them you want to be more than just cordial neighbors. You are better off being friendly to them in the driveway, but forget the note and food.

If your kids are very little you may think it doesn't matter, but what if your kids become close and the neighbors kids freely surf the internet or would otherwise be bad influences?

Nip it in the bud now. Or rather, don't plant the seeds to begin with.

Agree. OP, if you don't want your kids to play with the neighbors, do not put out any gestures of friendship like a note or food. Instead, just make sure to be in front of your house one day soon when they are pulling up, wave and smile, say hi, so nice to meet you. I'm (first name) and these are my kids. This is really important. been there done that

myname1

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 3:51 am
I agree, the food and sweet note and kids' signatures all seem really nice, but it definitely gives the impression that you want a close relationship with this family. If you don't, I'd say just be nice and polite when you run into each other. Giving a cake or whatever to a new family that moves in is welcoming, but this direction seems much more than that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating