Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you are over 40

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:25 am
Would you apply for a job that is really for a younger person run by young people.
You would in a sense be their grandmother's age.
Would you feel comfortable applying for the job?

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:26 am
If you want it go for it

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:27 am
I’m 44

How would I be old enough to be the grandmother of a 20 something?

happy chick

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:30 am
If it's in your field, it interests you and a comfortable working environment, why not?

btdivorcedmom

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:31 am
Why not ? It’s based on your ability to do the job , not your age . If you are qualified , apply , if you are not - age will neither help you nor hurt you .

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:37 am
I say, if the job suits your purposes, go for it. I'm well over 40 in a career which I enjoy but doesn't have a lot of advancement opportunities, so managers (who do have advancement opportunities) come and go and often are much younger than I am. It's never been a big deal. If the job is "for a younger person," think about what that means to you - would you be embarrassed to have an entry-level job? Is that something you could get over if you feel the job is a good fit in other ways?

finprof

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:51 am
Are you switching fields or branching out? If so then, of course, you will be competing with recent grads for an entry-level job. Use your experience to your advantage!

agreer

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:57 am
btdivorcedmom wrote:
Why not ? It’s based on your ability to do the job , not your age . If you are qualified , apply , if you are not - age will neither help you nor hurt you .

I would encourage the op to apply, cuz whats the harm, but there are many, many companies run by young shnooks that absolutely will NOT hire anyone over 50.

Yes, it's illegal. But they'll never tell you its bc of your age. They'll find something else wrong and say its that.

But ageism definitely exists, even in the frum world.

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 12:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you apply for a job that is really for a younger person run by young people.
You would in a sense be their grandmother's age.
Would you feel comfortable applying for the job?

My 48 year old workmate is the best! I'm in my 30s so she wouldn't be able to me my grandmother. Neither would she be able to be the grandmaother of the newly hired 19 year old secretary.
Who cares about age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics